View Full Version : stag/ballet jumps

CFP
05-03-2006, 02:33 PM
is anyone proficient in either or both of these jumps?
i'm having 'issues' with the exit. how do you continue the flow when you land? i come down on my pic almost to a dead stop....as if i were leaping and landing on a floor............any tips on the entry/exit?:frus: thanks

Isk8NYC
05-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Check out this thread - we had a good discussion about it last month.

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=20232

I assume you're teaching yourself and don't have a coach?

CFP
05-03-2006, 03:49 PM
i have a coach,, sporadically.
i was shown these jumps many years ago,,, never spent much time with it because i was weak in other areas,,, now i'm returning to it.
thank you for the other thread,,, good read.

doubletoe
05-03-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't do stag jumps, but I do split jumps and ballet jumps. The basic rule is, momentum in, momentum out. :) It helps to get a deep knee bend on the takeoff so that you can get some distance on the jump. Also, make sure you aren't leaning back in the air, because that will put the brakes on when you land. Finally, make sure you put enough weight on the landing toe and push yourself forward off of it as soon as you land on it. That means bending that left knee a little and pushing onto a bent right leg, too.

SkatingOnClouds
05-04-2006, 03:27 AM
i come down on my pic almost to a dead stop

My understanding is that as soon as you hit the toe-pick landing you are immediately pushing onto the other foot. So if you jump counter clockwise, and land on your left toe pick, you should immediately transfer to the right foot on a glide with extended left leg. I always end up on an RI edge on landings for these.

Clarice
05-04-2006, 04:49 AM
Yeah, I agree with the above - you're supposed to change feet on the landing. It sounded to me, too, from your description above, that you're trying to land on your pick and then glide out on the same foot. If that's what you're trying to do, no wonder it's not working.

CFP
05-04-2006, 11:52 AM
[--yes, i realize i'm suppose to push off with the opposite foot [ i pic off my right foot] upon landing, but my body seems to 'collapse'.... not sure if it's lack of speed or not turning in the air quick enough.
i can do these better on my pic skates on pavement,,,so i've been doing those alot so far this year,, but on ice, it's ugly :) .

doubletoe
05-04-2006, 01:14 PM
[--yes, i realize i'm suppose to push off with the opposite foot [ i pic off my right foot] upon landing, but my body seems to 'collapse'.... not sure if it's lack of speed or not turning in the air quick enough.
i can do these better on my pic skates on pavement,,,so i've been doing those alot so far this year,, but on ice, it's ugly :) .

The turning in the air is practically non-existent, since these are just 1/2 rotation jumps and 1/4 turn really happens on the pick. Isolate just the landing part and practice just pushing hard off of your landing toe onto the flat of the other blade. Make sure you push your chest out over the knee of the leg you are pushing out onto.

VegasGirl
05-04-2006, 03:07 PM
What do you do with your arms? Maybe you're using them wrong and thus hindering your exit rather than helping it...

CFP
05-04-2006, 04:55 PM
thanks guys, i appreciate the input.
basically, for a ballet [ eventually 'split'] jump, i am gliding backwards,,as if about to do a toe loop.........my right arm is facing backwards as well. when i pick, i just turn forward in the air, right arm goes straight up,,left arm stays back,,creating a 90 degree angle. i usually don't give much thought to my arms,,,, they're there as fluid extentions. i've been told [by too many] that they need more control..:roll: ,,, skaters just don't look that connected to thier skating when rigid:lol: i'm not 'mechanical'...:lol:

Bothcoasts
05-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Instead of thinking of sticking your right arm in the air for the ballet jump, try stretching your whole body out, beginning with your right arm. I tell students to think about making yourself as big as possible in the air. Your right arm stretches up and out, and the rest of your body should also stretch underneath it. This should help prevent you from collapsing your upper body!

kayskate
05-05-2006, 04:48 PM
I have never equated technique for the split and ballet jumps. Maybe I have been doing the ballet incorrectly. Based on my understanding, the split is like a 1/2 flip. The toe picks in and the opposite leg kicks forward to lead in the split position.

For the ballet, I did a toe loop entrance, picked in and jumped up w/ the picking toe pointed down and the trailing leg stretched out. There is no kick forward.

Is this right?

Kay

CFP
05-05-2006, 06:36 PM
hi... kayskate,, that's exactly how i was taught too. i'm having problems with a fluid landing.
i've been shown a split jump several different ways,,, but as i told a friend, just today in fact, that if you have the confidence and 'spatial awareness',, you could probably pull off any move from any angle!:)