View Full Version : Breaking in boots unevenly

mintypoppet
05-02-2006, 05:05 AM
I've had my skates for just over three months. Lacing up yesterday, I noticed that while the left boot has broken in evenly, the right boot has broken in much more on the inside edge than the outside, making the boot look bent to one side.

When skating, my ankle follows the path of least resistance and falls to the softer side of the boot. For instance, on FCW xovers, the understroke is on the flat - no wonder it feels so unstable! - but it's hard to get it onto the outside edge because the stiffer part of the boot is 'in the way'. Consequently, the problem seems to be exacerbating itself.

I put orthotics in the skates a couple of weeks ago (my left foot is flat, though I have no outside edge issues with it), and while they help, they haven't solved the problem. Can anyone suggest how to even this out?

TashaKat
05-02-2006, 06:58 AM
Hi :D

Get someone to check that the blades are in the correct place for you. I used to have to have mine slightly towards the inside to get properly balanced. Also get someone to check that the blade is straight.

Do you jump and spin and are you a CCW skater? It could be that your right boot is breaking in differently because of this and if the blade isn't quite right it won't be helping the problem.

mintypoppet
05-02-2006, 07:27 AM
Thanks TashaKat!

I'm a CCW skater, but still learning basic skills. I've always scraped/skidded the back of the blade on RFI3s, because I'm on too much of an inside edge on the entry - if I can balance outwards enough to do them, they work though.

I'll have to go and see the skate fitter to get my blades remounted, but is my coach the person to check whether they're properly aligned?

TashaKat
05-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Difficult one! It depends on the skate guy and depends on your instructor.

The guy who sorted mine out (and brought it to my attention) was an excellent 'old school' skate guy who knew about blades, boots and skating. He saw me struggling with mohawks and called me over. I being me was blaming myself for not being able to 'get' them. He got me to skate in a straight line and then a circle, took the boots off me, moved the blade and VOILA, a mohawk!

Although I don't blame EVERYTHING on incorrect (for yourself rather than just plain bad) blade alignment it's certainly one of the things to consider.

I guess that my answer is to ask your instructor and if the skate guy is highly thought of and knows what he's doing then speak to him too. Too many know how to put the blade into the machine and how to use a screwdriver but precious little about skating.

From what you've said I would suspect that the blades could be at least partially to blame for your problems.

All the best and please let us know how it all pans out for you :D

doubletoe
05-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Yep, sounds like your blade could be too far to the outside of the boot, or possibly on a bit of a diagonal instead of straight. It won't hurt to ask your coach to watch you hold a "straight" edge on each boot and tell you if it looks like your blade is off center. Also, once you figure out the problem and fix it, you might consider getting just the inside side of the boot rebuilt to even it up with the outside.

mintypoppet
05-03-2006, 02:55 AM
I spoke to my coach, and she thinks that I'm bending inward from the knee instead of from the ankle: to get an inside edge, I'm pressing down with my little toes.

So, a good thing in that I don't need my blades adjusted, but I'm still fairly clueless as to how to fix the issue in skating terms. My right foot's smaller than the left one, so I'm tempted to put an extra insole on top of the orthotic, to see if my foot's still slipping around on to the instep.

Thanks for all your help!

russiet
05-03-2006, 05:47 AM
Boot break in after 10 months of skating 5-7 hours a week. Uneven? My legs are somewhat bowed, and I pronate. I use customized footbeds. The boots feel fine to me. Does this look normal? Are yours somewhat like this?

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/06050303/b29rknqld4/

One skate broke in quicker than the other, but they both look like this now.

Jon

mintypoppet
05-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Not really, as mine's only broken in on the outside of the boot. The inside is still completely stiff, and uncomfortable to press against - the only part of either boot that has ever been uncomfortable. But then, I've only had them for a few months. The left boot feels comfortable and secure, but the right boot has always felt 'wrong' - presumably because the foot's smaller, though not enough to warrant a smaller boot size.

VegasGirl
05-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Are your boots heat-moldable and if so have you had them molded?

aussieskater
05-03-2006, 06:52 AM
My right foot's smaller than the left one, so I'm tempted to put an extra insole on top of the orthotic, to see if my foot's still slipping around on to the instep.

Thanks for all your help!

Depends on what your coach etc says, but if you do put in an extra insole (does anyone else have a comment on this suggestion?), I'd strongly recommend you put it in beneath the orthotic, and if possible and "solid" (ie: not moving around at all), then beneath the footbed too. At my coach's suggestion, I put rear half insoles beneath everything inside my skates (footbed, orthotic etc), to help me ride a little more forward on the blade. My "insoles" were actually cut from a computer mouse pad so they have a little bit of give without "squashing down" at all.

In your case, if you're only putting it into one boot, you want the boots to fel the same on both feet, not having one feel "normal" and "solid", and the other a bit "squishy" inside which might result from putting an insole next to your foot.

mintypoppet
05-03-2006, 07:05 AM
Yes, the boots have been heat moulded.

The left foot is completely solid and stable in its boot. The right foot, being smaller, always feels less secure. I lace it tighter to try and compensate, but usually just end up giving myself lace-bite. I have orthotics that replace the original footbed, so I was going to try and find a cork insole to put under it.

TashaKat
05-03-2006, 10:04 AM
I spoke to my coach, and she thinks that I'm bending inward from the knee instead of from the ankle: to get an inside edge, I'm pressing down with my little toes.

I still wouldn't rule out the blade not being quite in the correct place for you. Obviously we can't see you but it does sound like you're trying to compensate for 'something'. If you're pressing down with your little toes to get an inside edge it *sounds* like you're trying to keep the blade from tipping inwards.

Why not try a sock (or an extra sock if you wear them already) on your smaller foot and see if that makes a difference before you start adding extra insoles. It could be just enough to make the boot snug enough for you.

mintypoppet
05-03-2006, 10:25 AM
It's noticeable to me that the right blade is under my big toe, but the left blade is between my big toe and the next toe, which feels more stable/controllable to me. However, that means that the right blade's already further towards the inside, so outside edges should feel *less* of a problem, not more of one. It's counterintuitive to me.

I shall definitely have a go with the extra sock - very good idea, and one I hadn't considered. Why are the simple ideas always the hardest to think of? :lol:

doubletoe
05-03-2006, 05:46 PM
It's noticeable to me that the right blade is under my big toe, but the left blade is between my big toe and the next toe, which feels more stable/controllable to me. However, that means that the right blade's already further towards the inside, so outside edges should feel *less* of a problem, not more of one. It's counterintuitive to me.

I shall definitely have a go with the extra sock - very good idea, and one I hadn't considered. Why are the simple ideas always the hardest to think of? :lol:

I once had my blade mounted wrong and didn't realize it for awhile. It turns out it was mounted on a diagonal. In other words, it was too far to the inside at the toe, but too far to the outside at the heel. . . Just try to hold an outside edge on that!

mintypoppet
05-04-2006, 04:05 AM
I once had my blade mounted wrong and didn't realize it for awhile. It turns out it was mounted on a diagonal. In other words, it was too far to the inside at the toe, but too far to the outside at the heel. . . Just try to hold an outside edge on that!

I had a proper look at my boots, and if I put the blades flush with one another, it's obvious that the boots aren't pointing in the same direction, so I think you're on to something there. I'm going to get a blade fitter to have a look at them, hopefully this weekend.

doubletoe
05-04-2006, 01:23 PM
I had a proper look at my boots, and if I put the blades flush with one another, it's obvious that the boots aren't pointing in the same direction, so I think you're on to something there. I'm going to get a blade fitter to have a look at them, hopefully this weekend.

Glad to have been of some help! Good luck getting it all fixed so you can get back to just skating! :)

mintypoppet
05-08-2006, 04:23 AM
I've had the blade moved outwards, and it feels a lot more controllable and stable. In fact, could have done with it being moved slightly further, but I'd probably never have found an outside edge again!

Thanks for all your help everyone, much appreciated :D