View Full Version : Congratulations Debbie S!!!

Terri C
05-01-2006, 08:17 PM
I saw the siggy... you did it!!
The Peanut Gallery curse is broken!!!
Congratulations on passing Bronze moves!!!!:D :D :D

jazzpants
05-01-2006, 08:23 PM
YEAAAAAAAAAAH, DEBBIE S!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

So happy for you... and you probably gave me the extra morale boost I need to pass this #$%@#$& Bronze Moves test, once and for all!!!

phoenix
05-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Great job!!

LoopLoop
05-01-2006, 09:20 PM
:D Yay Debbie! I knew you could do it.

Debbie S
05-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks, everyone!

(hey Sk8pics, clean out your in-box!)

It was quite an evening. I hadn't planned on testing until the end of May/early June, but this opportunity came up at the last minute (last week, to be exact). My club had a "mini test session", as the test chair called it, tonight during the 5:30 FS session. I was surprised to learn that was allowed, but apparently, the USFSA allows low-level (Pre-Prelim, Prelim, Pre-Bronze, and Bronze) tests to be given on FS sessions. The advantage is that you don't have that eerie feeling you get when you're all alone on the ice and the judges can hear every sound.

Well, tonight it was still quiet (although there were more skaters at this FS session than usual - the rink has only been having Mon night sessions for about a month, and had been averaging 5 skaters, but some skaters apparently had a conflict with Girl Scouts, which ended last week, so they now have their Mon nights available for skating) - about 10-12 skaters, including testers, with a couple of coaches, but no music was played while testing was going on. I asked the skating director before the session started what the music situation would be, and she wasn't sure (this was the first time the club had done this) and asked me what I thought. I told her any music that was loud enough to cover up my scratching sounds would be great - lol - but I guess the test chair wouldn't go for it. Well, there was some voice noise, which may have helped. ;)

As for the test, well...there was only 1 judge (since the tests could all be single-paneled - except for mine, they were all Pre-Prelim MIF or FS), who was one of the 3 judges that judged me back in October at my first attempt at this test. I felt good about the first 2 moves (forward and back perimeter stroking), despite having to dodge a couple of kids and coaches - fortunately, the judge was understanding about that. I was less optimistic about the power 3's and 5-step (and there weren't any traffic issues on those moves - probably b/c by then, the kids figured out that when they saw me coming, they needed to run out of the way - actually, the girl testing Pre-Prelim MIF almost collided with a couple others during her waltz 8 - she was doing it in the center circle, which is also the spinning area....you get the idea).

When I wasn't asked for a reskate on anything (I thought I might have a chance of getting marked above on a move, but I knew that wouldn't make up for failing 2 moves) I thought "well, here comes another retry". But I passed, and I passed ALL the moves, and got marked a tenth above on one move (the alt BO edge glides - thank you, Jenlyon, for your helpful post in the Bronze MIF poll thread!).

So now, I can turn my attention back to freestyle, and trying to make my program somewhat presentable for May Day next weekend. I haven't practiced FS in a week, it should be interesting. I'll probably wait until early fall to test Bronze FS - I think it'll take that long to get my backspin consistent, plus I want to still be able to skate Pre-Bronze FS at Skate Wilmington, as last year there was no Bronze comp, but a sizable Pre-Bronze contingent. And I want to get some more jumps and spin combos before I compete in Bronze. But right now, it's looking good for me to be in Chicago next year for AN '07!

(and wouldnt you know it, the video of Bronze Ladies II at this year's AN that I ordered arrived today)

manleywoman
05-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Yay! Congratulations!

Thin-Ice
05-02-2006, 02:49 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

You've worked really hard.. and I just love how now that you have Bronze MIF out of the way, the first thing you do is start talking about all the things you need to work on for the FS test.

Come on! Saaavvvvvvvoooorrrrrrr this passing test for at least a day or two! (There will be plenty of time to beat yourself up on the FS elements and program.)

sk8pics
05-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Congrats Debbie! I'm so happy for you, and jealous too!

I cleaned out my inbox, btw.

Yea!!!!!

jenlyon60
05-02-2006, 06:47 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!

(I am glad my comments helped.)

FrankR
05-02-2006, 07:59 AM
Well done, Debbie!! KONGRATCHYULAYSHUNS!!! (The GGMB-speak rears its head again :lol: )

Take care,

Frank

Mel On Ice
05-02-2006, 08:22 AM
congrats Debbie! See you in Chicago for AN!

edited to correct my left/right brain mistake

Isk8NYC
05-02-2006, 08:41 AM
What a great story! Congratulations!

dcden
05-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Great job Debbie S! Keep up the hard work.

InsideAxel
05-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Hooray for you! All the hard work pays off!

Kelton

flying~camel
05-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Congratulations! :D

sk8er1964
05-02-2006, 09:18 AM
That's wonderful! Congratulations! 8-)

Mrs Redboots
05-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Well done, Debbie! :bow:

Booked your flight to Chicago yet?

Debbie S
05-02-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks so much, everyone, for the congratulatory wishes!

LOL, Mrs. Redboots, actually I did check flight schedules (not that they won't change 20 times between now and then), but only to see if I could leave early on Sat morning. I found out Champions on Ice in my area (Wash DC) is that Sat (the 14th) next year, probably in the evening but the woman at the MCI/Verizon/whatever-they're-calling-it Center wasn't 100% sure. So I needed to make sure I could get back in time for the show before I ordered tickets (I checked this on Friday - being optimistic I'd pass the test at some point).

That means that, assuming I go, I'll miss the competitor's party, but from the way everyone has described AN, it sounds like the whole week is one big party - lol.

And I also assume that my event(s) will not be on Sat - if so, I'm sc***ed, but I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself here. :) Hopefully, I will have the time and money to go, assuming I do conquer that backspin.

pairman2
05-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Deb

A huge congrats!!!!!!! I know you've worked really hard for this!
Enjoy working up to the FS test & look forward to seeing you make your first AN!!!
Bring hope and inspiration to all the others working up to their bronze tests as well!!! It can be done!

pairman2

skaternum
05-02-2006, 09:53 AM
Way to go, DebbieS! Sounds like a great test. Hooray!!

garyc254
05-02-2006, 10:02 AM
My club had a "mini test session", as the test chair called it, tonight during the 5:30 FS session. I was surprised to learn that was allowed, but apparently, the USFSA allows low-level (Pre-Prelim, Prelim, Pre-Bronze, and Bronze) tests to be given on FS sessions.

My coach had one adult student who refused to test at a regular test session because of fear. Smart coach had a judge come in during a freestyle session and secretly judge the student as she practiced the elements.

She passed and was quite surprised to find out what her coach had done.

:lol: 8-)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Terri C
05-02-2006, 10:09 AM
congrats Terri! See you in Chicago for AN!

Uh, Mel, it was Debbie that passed her Bronze moves, not me. I took the test the week of AN (the day of the qualifying events btw) and got retry.
Depending on my summer ice situation, I hope to re-take and pass the test in July!

Skate@Delaware
05-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Congratulations, Debbie!!!!
That's another notch to cut in your skates (oh, just kidding!)

Enjoy the moment!!!!:bow:

TimDavidSkate
05-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Congratulations :bow: 8-)

coskater64
05-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Excellent Job!:bow:

Raye
05-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Congratulations

You go girl :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

icedancer2
05-02-2006, 06:20 PM
Congratulations! I am so very JEALOUS!!!

When I wasn't asked for a reskate on anything (I thought I might have a chance of getting marked above on a move, but I knew that wouldn't make up for failing 2 moves) I thought "well, here comes another retry". But I passed, and I passed ALL the moves, and got marked a tenth above on one move (the alt BO edge glides - thank you, Jenlyon, for your helpful post in the Bronze MIF poll thread!).

Can someone point me to this thread, because I think I need this advice!!

Way to go!!!

MusicSkateFan
05-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Super Super Super Job!!!!!!!!

BO edges can be a money maker! On to Bronze FS.......I think Chicago is calling you!!! Congrats!! That is a big one!

:bow: :) :bow: :) :D :bow: :D

skatingatty
05-02-2006, 07:42 PM
Here here!! Congratulations, Debbie!! :)

Sk8pdx
05-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Congratulations Debbie S! 8-) :bow:

doubletoe
05-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Congratulations, and enjoy your Bronze freestyle test, which I know you'll pass with flying colors!

Okay, Jazzpants and Terri, this is a good omen for you! :D

sexyskates
05-02-2006, 09:32 PM
Yay! Congrats DebbieS! You are on your way to Chicago. Practice those spins and I'll be seeing you at Nationals!

jazzpants
05-03-2006, 12:51 AM
Congratulations, and enjoy your Bronze freestyle test, which I know you'll pass with flying colors!

Okay, Jazzpants and Terri, this is a good omen for you! :DI hope so! I do have another upcoming Bronze Moves test session coming... soon! ;)

Yes, I've signed up for it again, against my better judgement (again!!! :roll:.) Jay is pushing for me to test ASAP. I still don't believe that I'm ready... still got a lot of work to do to clean up on. (Mainly lowering arms and shoulders and working on extensions, but also to make sure the stuff we've already fixed in the past don't get unfixed again! :roll: )

But enough of my hijacking this thread! It's ALL ABOUT DEBBIE S HERE!!! :P :bow: :bow: :bow:

tidesong
05-03-2006, 01:42 AM
Congrats Debbie!!

Terri C
05-03-2006, 07:51 AM
Okay, Jazzpants and Terri, this is a good omen for you! :D

Right now, my re-taking Bronze moves is contingent on the summer ice situation at my rink. A few weeks back, it was announced that there would only be morning freestyles at my rink this summer, not good for me, since I have to be at work at 7am. I have expressed my concern to the skating director and she told me that some things are being shuffled around to get a couple of afternoon freestyles a week, but until then I'll just have to pray.
Yes there is another rink where I could skate at, but it's a small surface, not good for doing moves.
If it all works out, I'm shooting for July/ August.

Debbie S
05-03-2006, 08:12 AM
But enough of my hijacking this thread! It's ALL ABOUT DEBBIE S HERE!!! :P :bow: :bow: :bow:Hey, I'm always happy to share the spotlight! :D

Good luck, Jazz and Terri! I know you can do it!

Can someone point me to this thread, because I think I need this advice!!
It's here: http://skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=20468

Thanks again, everyone!

flo
05-03-2006, 11:32 AM
I knew you could do it!!!!

e-skater
05-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Thanks, everyone!

Debbie, a little birdie, actually a couple :) , told me about your passing AB moves! CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU! Great job! And congrats on passing each of the moves AND getting an "over". Happy for you, and now it's on to Bronze FS for you.

And, I love your sig line. LOL!!!!!!

jazzpants
05-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Debbie, a little birdie, actually a couple :) , told me about your passing AB moves!*tweak* *tweak* :lol:

Terri C
05-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Debbie, a little birdie, actually a couple :) , told me about your passing AB moves!

Chirp, chirp (quietly since my cat is sleeping nearby!)!

PattyP
05-03-2006, 08:08 PM
WOOHOO!!!! :D

Congratulations Debbie S!

Joan
05-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Good for you, Debbie! On to freeskate now - it is much more forgiving than MIF because you get retrys of 2 elements, if necessary.