View Full Version : Practice skirts

thadine
05-01-2006, 01:42 AM
I'd like to make some simple skirts for practice, but I've never actually seen any skate dresses/skirts up close before. Is there a standard length? Is just above the knee too long for freestyle? Is semi-circular ok, or should I go with full circular?

samba
05-01-2006, 02:06 AM
thadine

Loads of info if you click on this thread:

http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=20577

thadine
05-01-2006, 02:38 AM
Thanks - I've been reading that thread already, but it deals with mainly whether or not you should wear a skirt, and the pros/cons of skirts vs. pants. I'm more interested in the actual details about skirts, such as standard length, design, cut/fullness etc.

SkatingOnClouds
05-01-2006, 03:44 AM
I think the length depends on whether you're free skating or dancing. Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but I get the impression dancers tend to wear longer skirts?

For free skating the skirt usually just covers the built in pants, not much more than that anyway, depending on your size.

As for style of skirt, there are a few different styles available, from flat, which have no swirl at all, to double circle. There are also lots of people who prefer wrap skirts in different fabrics, which they wear over a leotard or leggings.

Being old fashioned, I like the double circle myself, they are the ones which ripple when you spin, whereas a circle will stand out sort of straight. This is how I make them.

First decide measure how long you want the skirt. Make a circle the size of 1/2 your around the hip (or waist if you intend to wear it that high) then measure down the length you want your skirt all the way around. Then making another skirt piece exactly the same. Slit both circles (make sure that the grain of the fabric is going to be in the centre before you cut) and sew them together to make one skirt. Insert them into your panties or leotard, matching the skirt seams with the side seams.

You don't need to gather or ease the skirt into the panties making this sort of skirt, however if you intend using a non-stretch fabric you will have to gather it somewhat so it can stretch.

techskater
05-01-2006, 03:32 PM
It can be any length for FS as long as you don't get tangled in it. My competitive dress hits about mid-thigh because I like more coverage

kayskate
05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Check out the Kwik Sew web site. I have made lots of their leotards and skate outfits. They have great patterns that are easy to work with.

Kay

thadine
05-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I am fairly experienced at sewing and pattern drafting, so I will whip something up myself, now that I have an idea of what's what. I didn't want to make something that will look really strange :roll: , but I guess it's pretty much anything goes as long as it's comfortable and doesn't hinder movement. Thus far I've been wearing track suit pants to skate, but I actually hate wearing trousers of any sort. Outside of skating, I never wear pants (I don't even own a pair of jeans) so I would love to start skating in a skirt!