View Full Version : twisting rockers

froggy
04-30-2006, 09:47 PM
what exactly is a twisting rocker? I'm thinking its the move usually seen in footwork where the skater does this twist back and forth quickly. I once asked my coach an she said its a very advanced move (i'm working on pre-bronze mitf). if its what I'm thinking it looks like from the skating competitions I've seen, is it turned just on the ball of the foot? is it possible I can learn to do it even at my level?

doubletoe
04-30-2006, 09:54 PM
what exactly is a twisting rocker? I'm thinking its the move usually seen in footwork where the skater does this twist back and forth quickly. I once asked my coach an she said its a very advanced move (i'm working on pre-bronze mitf). if its what I'm thinking it looks like from the skating competitions I've seen, is it turned just on the ball of the foot? is it possible I can learn to do it even at my level?

I don't know what kind of rocker a "twisting" rocker is, but when a skater does a quick forward-backward-forward-backward turn sequence on one foot as part of straight-line footwork, it is usually a sequence of brackets. A bracket is like a 3-turn except that you rotate in the opposite direction of the entrance edge. For example, if you're on a left forward outside edge, you would do the turn clockwise instead of counter-clockwise, and you would exit on a left back inside edge. They're pretty tricky, but there's no reason you can't start learning brackets if you want to.

Casey
04-30-2006, 10:36 PM
Brackets aren't too hard, the one you're probably referring to is a RFI bracket. To do one, glide forward with your weight on the right foot which leads on an inside edge, with your left foot following behind on an outside, and your torso turned right so that your left arm leads and the right points back. Keeping the left leg in the back-ish position, lift it off the ice, and after a couple seconds, twist your body (like you would for a 3-turn but the opposite way - to the right. Once you get it you'll end up on a RBO edge which you can hold.

Then work on RBO 3-turns which is plenty of effort in itself. Do both of them on hockey circle lines periodically to make sure you build up control (do a full half-circle, holding one edge until the 1/4 circle point, then do your bracket or 3-turn, and hold the resulting edge for the remaining 1/4 circle). Once you've got both of those, then you can try doing them in succession. It's not very easy to pull off but not very hard to try either.

One thing I did that really helped me with learning them is a two-footed hoppy thingy... I have my torso twisted like described above but am on two feet beside each other. Then I jump and twist and land on both feet backwards going the same direction. Then I jump back to the original. These are way easier - I can do a bunch of them, but they'll make your abdomen muscles sore if you do too many (a good exercise!).

And for what it's worth, I haven't even tested pre-bronze yet. Best of luck.

Chico
04-30-2006, 11:02 PM
I didn't find learning brackets especially hard.. I'd say it was easy on my good side but I still struggle with my weaker side. Remember to really use your knee bend and to check your shoulders after the press.

Chico

jenlyon60
05-01-2006, 04:48 AM
These are sometimes referred to as quick rockers, and are found (in various ways) in USFS Novice, Junior and Senior Moves in the Field.

Specifically,

In Novice, as part of the "Forward Perimeter Power Crossover Stroking to a Backward Quick Rocker-Turn Sequences"

In Junior, as part of the "Power Pulls" ("The skater will perform a sequence of 3 power pulls followed by 2 quick twisting rockers.")

In Senior, as part of the Quick Edge Step sequence and as part of the Power Double 3-turns to Power Double Rockers (both inside and outside edges).

cecealias
05-01-2006, 10:43 AM
I would not learn a high level skill without 1) having a coach to instruct 2) learned more fundamentals like 3 turns and brackets before trying a high level move.

The reason why - if you learn it yourself you can pick up bad habits. You should really spend time on gettng a good foundation now, so that you have an easier time later. Bad habits, once learned take FOREVER to unlearn, added frustration, time and additional incentive to avoid practice or quit.

I know people who "skipped ahead" and could squeek out tricks that were too high for the skating level, sure it "looks cool" and makes you feel great but eventually it comes back to bite them hard. If you're working on pre-bronze, i'd much rather see you spending your time skating all your moves to a higher than test standard level, instead of trying really hard tricks.

Quality in your fundamentals is more important than how fast you advance.

vesperholly
05-01-2006, 03:46 PM
In Novice, as part of the "Forward Perimeter Power Crossover Stroking to a Backward Quick Rocker-Turn Sequences"

In Junior, as part of the "Power Pulls" ("The skater will perform a sequence of 3 power pulls followed by 2 quick twisting rockers.")

In Senior, as part of the Quick Edge Step sequence and as part of the Power Double 3-turns to Power Double Rockers (both inside and outside edges).
To clarify further... the Novice quick rockers are technically rockers, but they are followed immediately by a choctaw (BI rocker to FI edge, step to BO edge). It's a "two-footed" move.

The Junior and Senior double rockers are one foot for the entire pattern. My guess is that this is what froggy is referring to.

You're best to leave this move alone until you're at least Silver. If you learn a move before you are ready, it's very easy to develop bad habits trying to "get it done," which will hurt you later on more than if you had waited.

techskater
05-01-2006, 05:36 PM
I would HIGHLY recommend not even attempting it until your coach broaches it. Your coach generally knows best when it's time to teach such a thing. For example, my coach didn't really teach me rocker-choctaws until I was ready to move up to Gold. You should have a very strong sense of edge and a quiet upper body to be learning the quick twisting rockers. Just my $0.02