View Full Version : End of an era, and a decision to make

cassarilda
04-29-2006, 11:14 PM
I decided that today (Sunday) was going to be my last regular weekend ice skating lesson...

Its getting too crowded, and the class isnt varied enough because, understandbly, new people coming in/moving up ;) , the littlies and the lack of space...

So, Im stopping weekend group classes, and the main thing I will miss are my friends... my skating buddy was upset but thought my idea of doing a joint 30min private lesson during the week together would be a good idea.. small problem... she doesnt finish work until the end of the sessions :frus:

So I was thinking whether it would be worth it me just doing a 15min private lesson once a week to compliment my Wednesday coffee club mornings?

I can skate on Weds in the group lesson, and then do a 15min private with the same coach on a Friday (when we go down to skating anyway)...

Is 15mins really enough tho? I cant afford anything more, but I suppose I need reassurance that I will get benefit from it.

Suggestions? Advice? Experiences?

AW1
04-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Erinna,
I know what you mean. I haven't done aussie skate for months because I wasn't getting anywhere fast.
My/my daugther's coach says that 15 minutes one on one is better than nothing - she actually does alot of sessions like that with younger kids who don't have the attention span for a half hour session (like my cousin who is 8!)
My only suggestion is make sure you're there and well warmed up before your private, so you dont waste 5 minutes of that 15 warming up for the coach.

cassarilda
04-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Thanks alani,

The coach I was thinking of actually goes to the Friday figure session to give a 30min lesson to the girl who skates with my hubby to learn the dances (lets call her C ;) )....

Anyway, so hubby and C go out for 45mins? to do warm up and dance prior to her 30min lesson during which hubby skates around bored :roll: (I dont skate.. all the figure skaters make me nervous).. and then they have a few more minutes afterwards to go over a few more things...

So I was thinking of seeing if he was available to teach me during that first 30/45mins, then teach C, during which I can practise and get dance lessons with hubby... and then I can trot along after hubby and C when they do harder dances (or get C to show me :D )...

I havent actually asked my coach about this.. I dont think he even knows that Im stopping Sundays (I couldnt catch him alone today - will tell him Weds).. so I need to check with him first

SkatingOnClouds
04-30-2006, 03:47 AM
Erinna, I have 15 minute private lessons at the moment. It always feels too short and too rushed, but I come away with plenty to work on. It is enough to begin with anyway, and I get so much out of them. Years ago I always had private lessons as well as group, although they were 30 minute lessons. I progressed so much faster than those who only had group sessions. I consider group sessions as practise, although sometimes I get a lot out of it.

I have to agree with Alani about Aussie Skate sessions. They have been so crowded since the winter Olympics, which is good for skating, but not good for the skaters who were already there. Things are starting to quieten down now at our rink, but it's still busy.

If you really are dissatisfied with your group sessions, then a 15 minute private lesson is a good start. Believe me, 15 minutes can be a long time when you're the only one in the spotlight.

icedancer2
04-30-2006, 03:43 PM
I think if all you can afford is 15 minutes then that is great. Lately I have been squeezing in little 15-minute lessons with my primary coach and it has been great. She knows that we only have a short time and she will pack a lot of stuff in -- enough for me to get a lot out of it and something to practice for the next time.

I kind of miss our long rambling lessons, but I just can't afford it right now and she doesn't seem to have the time... so that's okay -- I still get a lot out of it!!

Have fun with whatever you decide!:)

bbowie
04-30-2006, 09:24 PM
For me , i will definitely go for the 15 mins private lesson. Private lesson is so much better then group lesson .And remember to warm up well before the lesson . u dont wanna waste the lesson time to warm up wif yr coach, do u ?
Although 15 mins is a bit short , its better then nothing. So tell yr coach u want the 15 mins lesson. :D

Skate@Delaware
05-01-2006, 07:51 AM
I am also switching over completely to privates. This is after 3 years of group lessons. I will miss the group lessons, and the other "girls" but I don't get anything out of them, other than stuff that conflicts with my private coach.

Last season I took private and group....I spent too much time in privates correcting stuff from the group, and I was too advanced in the group so I felt most of my time was wasted.

You can learn a lot in 15 minutes! Trust me on this!

quarkiki2
05-01-2006, 01:29 PM
I take a 30 minute private lesson every other week, then a MIF class weelky. My synchro team practices once a week, too. I use the "off" week from my private lesson to practice.