View Full Version : help me decide?

Skittl1321
04-29-2006, 04:48 PM
I posted a few days ago about how my Pilates instructor was going to sell me a bunch of her daughters stuff. Thank you all for helping me research the skates- they actually turned out too big- but man were they comfortable. I'll have to get me some real skates, mine don't have any of that padding.

Anyway none of her daughters tights fit (this is a 9 year old) but through the magic of lycra/spandex all of the dresses/skirts do. I need an outside eye to tell me these actually look okay. I think they look alright, and they do fit- but will you let me know which of the dresses you think I should keep? If you don't want to tell me pubically I look ridiculous, PM me.

My husband refuses to touch the subject and just said "that one is really shiny" which didn't help at all. He also doesn't like the detached skirt of the first one- but I kinda do.

(pictures removed)

(I guess this also goes with the "pictures of me" thread...

Thanks so much for your opinions.

(BTW- before you say "no shiny tights" those are old dance ones... I have no skating tights right now, but I didn't think you'd want to see my bare legs)

BatikatII
04-29-2006, 05:01 PM
I liked dress number 2 and thought it suited you best and had the most flattering fit -some of the others looked a little small somehow (you did say these were from a 9 year old didn't you?)- though photos dont always give an accurate impression. It was a bit shiny for a practice dress but nice for a competition. That's my opinion anyway:)

skatingdoris
04-29-2006, 05:10 PM
hi skittl

I think that all but the red dress (no4) look nice, the neckline/sleeves on it are not flattering on you IMHO,
my favorite is no1
:)

Skittl1321
04-29-2006, 05:18 PM
I liked dress number 2 and thought it suited you best and had the most flattering fit -some of the others looked a little small somehow (you did say these were from a 9 year old didn't you?)- though photos dont always give an accurate impression. It was a bit shiny for a practice dress but nice for a competition. That's my opinion anyway:)

None of them are small or tight, but they are from a nine year old- which is why I am wondering how they actually look to other people. Just cause they fit doesn't mean they look good.
With the dress number 2 is that cut suitable for competition- I was thinking of it as a practice dress because it doesn't have a lot in the upper body. The only competitions I have seen are the big ones, so their dresses are obviously not what I would wear.

hi skittl

I think that all but the red dress (no4) look nice, the neckline/sleeves on it are not flattering on you IMHO,
my favorite is no1
:)
Thanks- thats what I was hoping to hear. That one is the most comfortable, but the rhinestones completely loose their pattern when on me, which makes me wonder if it is being stretched the wrong ways.

icedancer2
04-29-2006, 05:27 PM
I like them all except for number 4 also -- maybe it's just the color but it just doesn't suit you as well, at least in this photograph.

the other three look really really good, IMHO -- the skirts are short -- I couldn't possibly wear something that short, but hey, if it looks good on you then I'd say go for it!!:)

How do they feel as far as moving around in them?

Skittl1321
04-29-2006, 05:30 PM
IMHO -- the skirts are short -- I couldn't possibly wear something that short, but hey, if it looks good on you then I'd say go for it!!:)

How do they feel as far as moving around in them?

Do you think they are too short for an adult to wear? Or just that they are short? Coming from ballet- all we got to wear was leotard and tights, so any skirt at least feels like my bottom is covered.

They are all really comfortable to wear, and I just walked around/stretched a bit. I haven't skated in any of them. The 3rd one is really hard to get on because the straps are so close together at the neck, but feelsgreat once it is on

icedancer2
04-29-2006, 05:56 PM
They are not too short for YOU -- that is really the point I was trying to make.

I have definitely seen some adults wear skirts that short and they did not look good. On me because I have a long torso and somewhat heavy legs, the short skirts just look hideous. I prefer a longer, more drapey dance skirt, but that's because it is at least not completely unflattering!!

So yeah, I think these dresses look really good on you.:)

mdvask8r
04-29-2006, 06:02 PM
Judging from these pics I think numbers 2 & 3 are the best for you. Nice.:D
#1 is too small -- notice how the side slit on the skirt has a wide gap.
#4 is just not flattering to you. Looks like the proportions are for a child rather than an adult. The short sleeves disrupt the line of your nice long arms.

aussieskater
04-29-2006, 06:36 PM
I agree with mdvask8r about the fit of 1 and 4 - my first thought was that no.1 was too tight around the hip and no.4 around the sleeve/armhole. No.2 has the most "adult" cut and looks to be the best-fitting of the group.

As long as they are not too expensive, I'd choose 2 and 3; but if money is tight for you (and when's it not tight for a skater?? :) ), then I'd just go for no. 2. It will make a very pretty competition or exhib dress for you. You're young enough and firm enough to get away with the sparkles without looking ridiculous.

Just one question - the fact that they are coming from a 9 year old begs the question - are they big enough in the booty? Last thing you want is a wedgie because either the torso was too short or the backside was cut without a curve for the butt cheek (you often don't need much of a curve for a child, but a grown woman is a whole different story!!! 8O ) Maybe ask if you can try your choices out and if you can't get the dress to the rink, then do a little floor work to test out the expansion - and grip - around the rear. Just a suggestion! :)

Skittl1321
04-29-2006, 06:44 PM
As long as they are not too expensive, I'd choose 2 and 3;

Just one question are they big enough in the booty?

They aren't expensive at all $60 was the quote for the 4 dresses, 2 skirts, and a bag of tights. None of the tights fit, they are all childrens and don't come close to fitting, and I am definetly not getting the red dress, so that should come down a bit. I'm conflicted on the one with the flat skirt. I'm thinking I can just replace the skirt, so that there isn't a gap because the "leotard" fits well and it's my favorite- but I do see what you all are saying. When I first decided I liked it the best, I wasn't sure how close the skirt should close, because I have seen girls skating with a gap.

I didn't think about booty issues- the torso's are definetly long enough, but I'll have to put them on and twist/jump/scootch to check that out. I can't take them skating because I have a stress fracture and am not supposed to be skating- so I only go to my LTS 30 minutes. They are all adult dresses ( XS-S-and Medium, her mom bought used and they just made them work)But it's definetly worth looking at- Thanks for pointing that out!

doubletoe
04-29-2006, 07:42 PM
First choice: the blue one (third one)
Second choice: the black one (first one), although it looks a tiny bit short.

The other two are too sparkly and look a bit little girlish.

By the way, what a nice smile you have! :D

AW1
04-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Let me first start by saying you have a very contagious smile! I smiled when I looked at every picture because you look so happy in them.

Personally I think they all look great on you - wish I could share clothes with a 9 year old! LOL... Anyway my only comment would be on the last one - the red one with sleeves. I have spoken to alot of other skaters at my rink who have said they'd prefer to go NO sleeves or LONG sleeves than short sleeves as they find them a bit restrictive. I don't know if this would be the case, but it's something worthwhile as I hadn't thought of it like that before.

I say go for it and get them!! They're great!

Edit to add: re the flat skirt one - if you put a few connecting stitches at the top of the split it may well sit better. I wouldn't bother changing the skirt - I think it looks fine. Otherwise another good option for things which sit too far apart like that is a piece of wide satin ribbon which you can sew on the inside to make it go more like ^ shape (hard to describe but if you sew the ribbon from the top of the split to the bottom and make it the full width of the ribbon at the bottom but not the full width at the top if that makes sense?)

Skittl1321
04-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Let me first start by saying you have a very contagious smile! I smiled when I looked at every picture because you look so happy in them.
Thanks so much. (And thank you to the poster above who commented)

Otherwise another good option for things which sit too far apart like that is a piece of wide satin ribbon which you can sew on the inside to make it go more like ^ shape (hard to describe but if you sew the ribbon from the top of the split to the bottom and make it the full width of the ribbon at the bottom but not the full width at the top if that makes sense?)
Yes- I know with dresses those are called gores. I was actually thinking of doing that with a chiffony material- but a ribbon is a good idea too.

Tessie
04-29-2006, 08:42 PM
[QUOTE=Skittl1321]Do you think they are too short for an adult to wear? Or just that they are short? Coming from ballet- all we got to wear was leotard and tights, so any skirt at least feels like my bottom is covered.

Just because they fit doesn"t mean they look good. I can fit into American Eagle and Ambercrombie clothes for 14 year olds....but they are not age appropriate.

I think all the dresses are not very flattering as they do not accomodate the "shift" in adults' bodies. Not to take anything from yor. I think you need more of a skirt.

beachbabe
04-29-2006, 09:47 PM
I love dress 1+2, but dresses 3+4 are hideous. Actually dress 1 is my favorite b/c I love hte cut on the skirt lol. Get rid of 3+4 and definately hang on to dresses 1+2 because they are both veryyyy cute.

Skittl1321
04-30-2006, 05:49 AM
Thank you all for the advice- I appreciate it.
I am keeping all of them but the red one. Between here and my personal journal where I posted them someone liked all of them (some listed the red as their favorite) so I think there were the most dissenting opinions on the red, and I agree.

The women selling them to me is giving me the 3 dresses, and 2 skirted trunks for $45- so I'm getting a good deal, and it will give me something to start with.

As I progress, I'll make sure to look for longer skirts- which makes me sad, because I like the short ones, but I'm not a little kid anymore.

Once again, thanks for your opinions.