View Full Version : Songs you couldn't skate to

phoenix
04-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Oy--I had heard just a snatch of a song on the radio, & thought it was really pretty & very skateable. So I downloaded it today, copied it to my ipod, & went off to the coffee shop to work for awhile.

So--got there, put on my ipod & pulled up the new song to give it a good listen & pay attention to the lyrics. Well--it's "Held", by Natalie Grant, and while it is indeed very beautiful, it's also one of the saddest songs I've ever heard, & I sat there in the coffee shop w/ my face turned to the wall so people wouldn't see the tears running down my face!

And while it would make a very touching skating program, I decided that, 1) my weeping all over the ice wouldn't be good for anyone, And 2) with a song like that, I think the skating would have to be really wonderful to do it justice, & I don't think I'm up to it.

Have you ever come across music that you've thought would be great to skate to--but not by you??

Rusty Blades
04-28-2006, 10:47 AM
You bet! "Hall of the Mountain King" by Edvard Greig would make a FANTASTIC piece, but NOT for me! More suited to a Gold level Freeskate by someone with incredible power and stamina.

TimDavidSkate
04-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Any techno 80's kinda music 8O I refuse

Mel On Ice
04-28-2006, 12:11 PM
certain songs by Cyndi Lauper, Joan Jett and Tori Amos have great rhythms and a strong beat to it, but because of their lyrical content, not *exactly* appropriate to play on practices with young children.

doubletoe
04-28-2006, 01:15 PM
"Take 5", or any other jazz piece. You need strong edges and great upper body movement to pull it off, and I don't have that level of coordination!

AndreaUK
04-28-2006, 02:00 PM
Im hoping one day when i actually get good enough to skate to music that I can skate to the sort of music Im into. Im what you call a 'goth' in the UK, something I didnt grow out of in my teens or 20s. I dont think I could skate to anything 'pop music' type but Id love to whizz around and spin to something like Rammstein. Oh I have dreams and hope one day I will be good enough.

Andrea

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2006, 02:54 PM
I should love to skate to "Anthem" from Chess, but never in a million years would I be good enough!

And we did try to do our free dance to There's a guy works down the chip shop swears he's Elvis (Kirsty McColl), but it didn't work out. And I found I couldn't cut another Kirsty McColl song well enough....

rlichtefeld
04-28-2006, 03:46 PM
You bet! "Hall of the Mountain King" by Edvard Greig would make a FANTASTIC piece, but NOT for me! More suited to a Gold level Freeskate by someone with incredible power and stamina.

A Silver Pairs team (the Normans) skated to this at this year's US Adult Nationals.

Their coach hold told them that they skated like trolls, so ....

Rob

jazzpants
04-28-2006, 04:27 PM
There are a lot of pieces that that I would love to skate to, but my skating isn't good enough to do it justice. The two pieces I could think of now...

"Shaft" - Issac Hayes
"Pick Up the Piece" - Average White Band

There are other ones too but those two pieces I want to have amazing jumps and spin and especially quick footwork, before I would consider going for it. Gotta go thru the boring "pretty pretty" but slow as hell ethereal pieces for now. :cry: (Can't wait to get nice, fast, powerful and fancy footwork... :P )

flippet
04-28-2006, 05:06 PM
"Take 5",
Ha...not to mention that it's in 5/4 time. I skated to a 5/4 piece by Secret Garden (the piece name eludes me at the moment), and I really threw my coach for a loop with it while she was trying to choreograph it for me!

As for great skate-able pieces....I'd love to see someone skate to Peter Gabriel's "Steam". Preferably Kurt.

certain songs by Cyndi Lauper, Joan Jett and Tori Amos have great rhythms and a strong beat to it, but because of their lyrical content, not *exactly* appropriate to play on practices with young children.

Heh...'She-Bop' is definitely not for 8-year-olds. :lol:

doubletoe
04-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Fortunately, those songs with risque content are usually totally lost on kids. She-Bop would be one of them!

phoenix
04-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Fortunately, those songs with risque content are usually totally lost on kids. She-Bop would be one of them!

Heck, at my rink, it's the kids who are playing the music with nasty lyrics! If I have to listen to "My Humps" one more time...... :frus:

Raye
04-28-2006, 06:28 PM

When my granddaughter and I skated together in Anaheim last summer, we did Alice in Wonderland Meets the Cheshire Cat for the Family Spotlight. The music we used for her part as Alice was Morning Moods, and for my part as the cat was to Hall of the Mountain King, but only 30 seconds from near the beginning of it and not the powerful part near the end. I love that piece!

beachbabe
04-28-2006, 08:30 PM
Haha, I love techno and house music as much as I wanna skate to it, its soooo hard.

The tempo constantly changes which you'd think is good, but its so hard to keep up. I skate mostly to pop music and soundtracks with the lyrics removed.

A while back I decided to load in one of my fave ministry of sound tracks to skate to-

let me tell you..it feels double as fast on the ice. Very demanding and forces you to fit a lot of jumps in over and over for the hgih energy portion of the music. I'll stick to soundtracks for now, I hate that rushed feeling!

cassarilda
04-28-2006, 09:23 PM
I love all the hip hop and r&b and pop songs... I cant help it... I think some of them would make great dance songs.. fantastic oppurtunities for interaction between the couple :)

The song I will never use for a skating program is Kelly Clarksons "A Moment Like This"... I walked down the aisle to it, and I would prefer to remember it for that, rather than the arguments with my husbands regarding steps that would likely happen if we used it for a dance :lol: :halo:

doubletoe
04-28-2006, 10:49 PM
I love all the hip hop and r&b and pop songs...

I agree! My favorite music is R&B but there's no way I'm coordinated enough to do it justice on the ice!

Terri C
04-29-2006, 07:23 AM
Heck, at my rink, it's the kids who are playing the music with nasty lyrics! If I have to listen to "My Humps" one more time...... :frus:

Agreed! The kids at my rink play this song non-stop as well and I think it's nothing short of disgusting and degrading!:roll:
When I try to introduce them to classic rock (Aerosmith, Foreigner) or 70's disco (Donna Summer, Bee Gees) they make a face!
Don't worry, I carefully choose pieces from those artists that have no vulgar language or meaning!

2salch0w
04-29-2006, 11:48 AM
Any techno 80's kinda music 8O I refuse

I'm using New Order right now for singles and I think it has great potential, though I'm not doing it justice. For pairs we're using a piece of Depeche Mode and it is perfect for skating.

My NEVER list - Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton and Celine Dion.

Tim

AndreaUK
04-29-2006, 01:25 PM
I'm using New Order right now for singles and I think it has great potential, though I'm not doing it justice. For pairs we're using a piece of Depeche Mode and it is perfect for skating.

My NEVER list - Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Celine Dion, Michael Bolton and Celine Dion.

Tim

Oh Im with you on that hun, never ever Celine Dion, Carey or Michael Bolton but you have an excellent choice with New Order and Depeche Mode.

Andreaxx

TimDavidSkate
04-29-2006, 04:26 PM

Tim

Aawes, I was about to request a solo skate from you to "All by myself "

Kidding :lol: I never discovered why techno is good skating music, maybe someday :halo:

racytracy
04-29-2006, 04:46 PM

I've skated like 5 programs to Tori Amos. :) I'm not exactly appropriate for young children either though. ha.

Skate@Delaware
04-30-2006, 08:55 PM
I should love to skate to "Anthem" from Chess, but never in a million years would I be good enough!
I really thought "The Referee" would be a great one!

But I would love to skate to Kelly Clarkson's "Because of You", but it makes me cry and I can't skate if I'm crying....

CFP
05-02-2006, 01:23 PM
ha! absolutly no celion dion!! no pop-tart music!
i grew up on obscure stuff from college radio in the early 80's,, don't know if you'd recognize anything i'd throw out,, but in my head for years.. i've choregraphed 'routines' from my FAVORITE musicians.. DEAD CAN DANCE. look into them....very passionate, moody, introspective, dark stuff!! ' dawn of the iconoclast' is one of the best songs if you're looking for 'drama'...it's a bit of an acquired taste,,,, but give them a listen. also,, look into any cirque du soliel music,,, i've seen them many times... the music they use in their circus is similar [ in mood] to DCD. :)

TimDavidSkate
05-02-2006, 01:30 PM
I would like to add: boy band songs!!! NSync, Backstreet boys, or whoever is out there 8-)

Mel On Ice
05-03-2006, 08:28 AM
I've skated like 5 programs to Tori Amos. :) I'm not exactly appropriate for young children either though. ha.

"Raspberry Swirl" is a great song, but I just can't...

AndreaUK
05-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Dead Can Dance are fantastic, I love Lisa Gerrards work, very atmospheric with a dark edge. That sort of stuff would suit me perfectly music wise, I just need to learn to skate properly.

Arayana

Rusty Blades
05-03-2006, 09:31 AM
I have always liked "Hot Buttered Popcorn" - one of the early synthesizer pieces - but be darned if I can figure out a choreography for it! Another early electronic piece was "Telstar" (I think that's right?) but I haven't found a copy.

sandyk
05-03-2006, 04:43 PM
I really like surf guitar (like Dick Dale or the Ventures) but I couldn't skate to it. It is fast and high-energy, whereas my skating is sort of more slow and plodding...:lol:

Thin-Ice
05-04-2006, 02:58 AM
I have always liked "Hot Buttered Popcorn" - one of the early synthesizer pieces - but be darned if I can figure out a choreography for it!

I saw a Synchro team skate to this at Pacific Coast Sectionals in the mid-1990s. They wore overlays of white cut-out fabric over yellow dresses -- really gave the look of Popcorn! And of course choreography was a bit easier, since the program was mostly formations and footwork.. but still VERY FAST! And they did a really good job... making it look like they WERE popcorn, they were not "chasing the music" but right on it.

sj702
05-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Songs you couldn't skate to....

William Tell Overture... I'd need a mask and a broomstick horsey, before I'd even try! :lol:

Madame Saccoche
05-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Luuuve Bob Marley but it aint gonna happen on ice mon!

NCSkater02
05-09-2006, 06:35 PM
The General Grivous (sp?) theme from Star Wars--fast and really upbeat. Not my skating style at all.

Raye
05-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Songs you couldn't skate to....

William Tell Overture... I'd need a mask and a broomstick horsey, before I'd even try! :lol:

But wouldn't it make a fabulous artistic or showcase piece?????????????? :halo:

Casey
05-19-2006, 10:59 AM
I would like to add: boy band songs!!! NSync, Backstreet boys, or whoever is out there 8-)
Heh, or one I would never skate publicly to - japanese teen pop*!

* = (of course, what's on my headphones sometimes that people don't know about won't hurt them... :oops: )