View Full Version : You guys are awesome!

Hannah
04-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Hooray! Backward skating for me! :lol:

This morning I managed to do backward half-swizzles, and be self-propelled all the way around the rink. Good stuff! The tips from here were really, really helpful. :bow:

I've been accepted into the adult skating group, too, apparently- they invited me for breakfast! No matter that most of them are old enough to be my parents, and a few my grandparents. Actually, it is really cool to see people that age still skating (we're talking jumps and spins, not 'round-the-rink), because it means I'm obsessed with an activity that I could conceivably do my whole life.

Awesome.

AndreaUK
04-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi hun,

Great to hear your news.
Im an adult skater myself and where I skate i was thinking id be too old to start out with all this stuff. Im 31 and figured everyone else would be young kids. How wrong could I be. To be honest many of the good skaters at the rink are far older than me. Some are into their 50s and I would guess that some are older. Its amaizing how versitile this sport is and how many adults it actually apeals too.

Good luck with the skating. :D

Andrea xx

doubletoe
04-27-2006, 03:23 PM
It may be hard to believe now, but someday you'll opt for backward skating over foreward skating when given the choice of how to get from one element to the next in your program! Once you get it down, backward skating--especially crossovers--offer so much more power and stability! :)

gt20001
04-27-2006, 05:52 PM
It may be hard to believe now, but someday you'll opt for backward skating over foreward skating when given the choice of how to get from one element to the next in your program! Once you get it down, backward skating--especially crossovers--offer so much more power and stability! :)

Yeah i definitely agree with this statement i started skating 4 months ago and backwards was my worst when i started skating and today i noticed in my program for my upcoming competition i have 4 forward strokes and everything eles is connected by backwards crossovers and other backwards moves. i love skating backwards and go so much faster that way as well.

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2006, 07:48 AM
It may be hard to believe now, but someday you'll opt for backward skating over foreward skating when given the choice of how to get from one element to the next in your program! Once you get it down, backward skating--especially crossovers--offer so much more power and stability! :)Oh, I dunno; I've been skating I don't know how many years, and I still hate going backwards, and skate far better forwards. Mind you, just lately I've got a little more power and speed going backwards - and find that terribly scary!

SkatingOnClouds
04-29-2006, 01:09 AM
I love backward crossovers. I can really sit down on those, and get some serious speed happening too. Much prefer crossovers backwards rather than fowards.

samba
04-29-2006, 01:36 AM
I love backward crossovers. I can really sit down on those, and get some serious speed happening too. Much prefer crossovers backwards rather than fowards.
Me too, much more speed, must be something to do with the muscles being mainly at the back or something. As for my forward skating....dreadful.

Hannah so glad you are getting along with the adults, I'm the only competitve adult at our rink and one of the mums came to watch me at a couple of competitions last year and she couldnt get over how everyone looked after each other and cheered each other on, no matter what rink they came from, the atmosphere is so different from the competitons that the younger skaters do.