View Full Version : Makeup for skating

Mercedeslove
04-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Does anyone here know of a site or have any tips for makeup application, especially the eyes that will look good but not make me look like Mimi from Drew Carey?

TaBalie
04-27-2006, 02:06 PM
Hi there,

I am a prof MA (catalogs, music videos, magazines, etc http://www.nkmakeup.com). I think your best bet is to hire someone independant (not with any one line) to create a look for you and give you a lesson.

Where are you located? I can help you find someone in your area.

I do NOT recommend going to any counter -- first of all, there are NO laws regarding hygiene, so they are herpes and pink eye factories, plus you will be stuck with one line (and there is no line that has everything), and they have no training (or little) -- they are purely sales people.

Let me know where you are, hopefully I can find someone to help you...

skaternum
04-27-2006, 05:18 PM
I guess I'd start by asking a few questions of you. How old are you? What level of competition are you talking about?

Assuming you wear makeup on a daily basis anyway, I'd suggest going a little bit heavier than what you'd wear for an evening out, but not much. On the ice, you won't be that far away from the judges, and most competitions are held in normal rinks (as opposed to big arenas). You just don't need the Gloria Swanson look to be seen from the stands.

My grandma's rule of thumb: put on all your makeup, then use a kleenex and wipe most of your blusher and eye shadow off. :)

Grandma's second rule of thumb: get completely dressed for a party, then take off 1 piece of jewelry.

And since I'm telling you all my grandma's rules, her third rule of thumb: never show cleavage of any kind (boobs, toes, butt) before 5 pm. 8-)

Mercedeslove
04-27-2006, 07:37 PM
Hi there,

I am a prof MA (catalogs, music videos, magazines, etc http://www.nkmakeup.com). I think your best bet is to hire someone independant (not with any one line) to create a look for you and give you a lesson.

Where are you located? I can help you find someone in your area.

I do NOT recommend going to any counter -- first of all, there are NO laws regarding hygiene, so they are herpes and pink eye factories, plus you will be stuck with one line (and there is no line that has everything), and they have no training (or little) -- they are purely sales people.

Let me know where you are, hopefully I can find someone to help you...

I don't have the money to pay someone to do it, I have a friend who usually would do it for me. She does makeup for theater and all, but she is in the army and not here. :-(

There is no way I would go to a counter ever, one because they are sick and two the women that do it tend to be way to chatty for me. So I was looking for basic tips. I got fake eyelashes, which I always used when I was a pro wrestler, but after that I was kind of clueless as to what would stand out.

Mercedeslove
04-27-2006, 07:41 PM
I guess I'd start by asking a few questions of you. How old are you? What level of competition are you talking about?

Assuming you wear makeup on a daily basis anyway, I'd suggest going a little bit heavier than what you'd wear for an evening out, but not much. On the ice, you won't be that far away from the judges, and most competitions are held in normal rinks (as opposed to big arenas). You just don't need the Gloria Swanson look to be seen from the stands.

My grandma's rule of thumb: put on all your makeup, then use a kleenex and wipe most of your blusher and eye shadow off. :)

Grandma's second rule of thumb: get completely dressed for a party, then take off 1 piece of jewelry.

And since I'm telling you all my grandma's rules, her third rule of thumb: never show cleavage of any kind (boobs, toes, butt) before 5 pm. 8-)

I'm 27 but I look a lot younger. Which can be good or bad. This is actually for a springe ice show and not a competition (sp). It's musicals on ice. I will be skating to the song Maria from the Sound of Music. I'll be dressed as a nun, but I know the lighting won't be the best either. Typical ice show lighting. I have some glitter I was going to brush on my eyes, along with my fake eye lashes.

daisies
04-27-2006, 07:56 PM
I agree on just going a tad heavier than you would for an evening out.

One thing I would recommend is to use one of those long-wearing lipsticks, like Cover Girl Outlast, Max Factor Lipfinity or MAC Pro Longwear. Lipstick tends to wear off really quickly when skating, and these stay put. So much so, you need a special remover for them!

Also, if you tend to perspire, don't wear too much foundation or else it will run.

Good luck!

sj702
04-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Hi,
You might want to check out a book like this on Amazon:

Makeup: The Art of Beauty (Spiral-bound)
by Linda Mason

That may give you some more ideas or a different technique .

vesperholly
04-28-2006, 03:44 AM
Here's a really good example (http://www.scratchspin.com/2002/stneast02/fs-0201632A.jpg) of good skating eye makeup. Blend, blend, blend!

aussieskater
04-28-2006, 06:26 AM
If you know the lighting for the piece, go a little the opposite. For example, our rink always (but *always*) uses blue-tone lighting for everything (it's all they've got). Even the most yellow-based complexion looks ghastly under blue lights 8O and needs a little help! So when we do shows etc, we always use makeup with a subtle orange undertone to counter it. Not too orange, or we look like we hit the fake tan somewhat too vigorously...:) Just a suggestion.

VegasGirl
04-28-2006, 07:08 AM
There is no way I would go to a counter ever, one because they are sick and two the women that do it tend to be way to chatty for me. So I was looking for basic tips. I got fake eyelashes, which I always used when I was a pro wrestler, but after that I was kind of clueless as to what would stand out.

*LOL* What does a pro wrestler need fake eyelashes for!!! :lol:

But seriously, I wouldn't go overboard with the makeup and think normal evening application is plenty sufficient. I much prefer the more natural look of say Emily Hughes over the caked on heavy putty look that for example Sasha Cohen sports most of the time.

I've had a make-over done at a Mary Kay store before that I liked quite a bit, maybe that would be an option for you... they're free, the lady knew what seh was doing and the application was hygienic (which is btw the first thing the make-up ladies at counters etc are taught).
Another option would be to go to a cosmetology school... they always need models and though it's usually not free it is a very inexpensive way of getting a professional makeup application.

samba
04-29-2006, 10:20 AM
Take care not to use too much during normal practice sessions if at all, because if you work up a sweat, the moisture tends to get trapped between the skin and the make-up causing the salt in your sweat to burn, I found this out quite early and unfortunately it has left me with very sensitive skin ever since.