View Full Version : Learning jumps

newskaker5
04-26-2006, 07:00 PM
Ok - Im not there yet - except for my Waltz jump and bunny hop hehe - but I am wondering how you learn jumps. I have heard of the off ice jump training, but how does it work? Do you work with a trampoline? Im just curious, because the speed and toe pick help propel the jump so I am not sure how off ice you could do 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 rotations?

As a gymnast, I can do double jumps, but that is off 2 feet - so Im curious as to what type of exercises allow someone to do a triple jump off one foot off the ice.

Hopefully i will find out soon :)

beachbabe
04-26-2006, 07:21 PM
off ice training does not mean literally jumping on thew floor off the ice. There are many tools. You can have a trampoline, a spinner, or jsut practicing it off ice but doing just one rotation.

I find these off ice jump tools to be useless, they just teach you how to pull in, which i'd rather figure out on the ice and in a harness.

trust me, for your singe jumps you do not need to do off ice training.

I have learned all my singles and doubles through loop with no off-ice training ever.

Its really bologne, the best way to learn skating is on the ice b/c every minute on the ice improves your skating that little tiny bit.

Although if you mean jsut working out as off ice training- that is definately very good for you and your skating!

CanAmSk8ter
04-26-2006, 10:15 PM
You can learn your singles without off-ice training, but at the training center where I used to skate there were a lot of kids who did off-ice jump classes when they only had singles. The reasoning behind it was that it would make their single jumps stronger, and the stronger your singles are, the easier it is to make the transition to doubles. It worked, too- the kids whose coaches put them in off-ice had stronger, more secure-looking singles with better control and flow out compared to the kids who didn't do any off-ice, and most of those kids did pick up their doubles quickly. Jumping off-ice tones your muscles for jumping the same way umping on the ice does. The key is to make sure your technique off the ice is the same as you'd do on it. Practicing a mistake on the floor will result in the same mistake on the ice.