View Full Version : So excited :) - skipped a level woo hoo

newskaker5
04-26-2006, 08:38 AM
:) I had my first private lesson yesterday and that was great. Then in my group my instructor moved me up to a group a level higher than were I am (and I didnt even need to test!). It was a great day :)

But I can now totally see why someone should keep a skating journal. Especially in privates, you go over so much stuff in such a short time its hard to remember it all to go back and practice it. Any advice on what exactly to journal on? Just what you did and the tips given? Anything else?

dbny
04-26-2006, 02:08 PM
Congratulations! I don't keep a journal, so can't help there, but maybe my response will bump up your question and some of the journalers will answer.

Skittl1321
04-26-2006, 02:17 PM
I keep a progress journal more than a corrections journal.
As I move up I will probably keep corrections in my bag.

My journal is mostly just a recap of everything we did in the lesson and how I felt about it. What I think I am improving on etc.

I also write when I get my skates sharpened, buy new things etc so I can track it.

There is a link in my signature you can visit it if you like.

Granted- my journal is only a few weeks old.

In a rinkside journal I would just write suggestions, corrections, and choreography and keep them in my bag.

techskater
04-26-2006, 07:24 PM
I have a journal where I keep what went well and what needs improvement on a daily basis. I find writing it down to be helpful in remembering what I was taught.

SpiralSweetie09
05-09-2006, 06:53 PM
That is an incredibly good idea. Keeping a skating journal. I never even thought of that. Since I am definitely not good at memorizing, that would help so much! Then I could remember Certain things, like, leg positioning which i always screw up on. o well. Maybe i will start a journal...
~Best of luck in Skating~
Lauren

vesperholly
05-09-2006, 07:16 PM
If you want to do the online journal thing, there's a group of skatingforums dwellers on LiveJournal. Join us! :)

Casey
05-11-2006, 04:55 AM
If you want to do an online journal, but find community sites like livejournal annoying, let me know - I can set up journals like this one (http://casey.shobe.info/blog/) (fairly empty as that example may be) on a sk8rland.com account for you. There's a bunch of templates available for it which you can check out here (http://spartacus.s9y.org/index.php?mode=template_all), and it's really quite a nice system with a lot of options available.

P.S. if anybody wants any other web site stuff let me know - I'm looking to expand the sk8rland.com site real soon now with bundles more stuff.