View Full Version : A question about tights for fuller figured women

AW1
04-25-2006, 02:52 AM
Hi,

Strange question BUT I need to know if anyone out there knows of any skating tights for fuller figured women?

Right now I'm wearing 3/4 lycra pants underneath my straight leg long lycra pants, with knee high stockings in my skates. Soon enough I'm going to have to start wearing tights and I have no idea if I'll get any to fit.

I bought some mondor OTB ones, but they are quite sheer and I don't fancy them at all. My daughter wears Danskin and they are much, much thicker (and I assume warmer) but I don't know how they run size wise.

Can anyone suggest where I might find some?

Thanks in advance

aussieskater
04-25-2006, 03:14 AM
Only two comments - first, steer away from Blochs and Capezio tights, as they run smallish.

I wear a C/D in the Blochs - their largest size - and am 170 cm and 65-68 kg's (depending on whether I've just come back from holidays, like now!!), and they fit beautifully around and in the leg length, but the panty is s-o-o-o- long - it comes up to my bra (and I have a *very* long torso)!! So I guess they wouldn't fit someone significantly larger than me, unless they were significantly longer in the torso... 8O

As an ex-large person myself (I was perilously close to 90 kg's before I decided to do something about it), I remember that the waist was always a problem for clothes (this was before my skating days). Even now, I immediately cut off the waistband plus 5-7 cm of the panty below it, then sew on a much more comfortable and much deeper cotton lycra band. Presto - no digging in, and no lines. PM me if you want to know how - it's not hard, it takes about 15 minutes, and you only need an ordinary zig zag sewing machine. :)

jenlyon60
04-25-2006, 04:30 AM
I weigh in the 170 pound range and I wear the basic supplex footed tights from Mainstreet dance Wear.

http://www.mainstreetdancewear.com/demoBottom.asp?is_shoe=0&action=view&type=style&ID=2051++++&image_filename=2051++++&cat=18000000&Submit=Details+%26+Cart

They don't have an elastic band waistband, which makes them 100% more comfortable IMO. I find them to be the most comfortable tights I've ever worn.

I also found Danskin tights relatively comfortable. Haven't tried it, but their website advertises a Plus-size footed tight (smallest Plus size has hips starting at 40 inches).

SkatingOnClouds
04-25-2006, 04:53 AM
I liked the look of the Danskin plus size tights. Unfortunately Danskin won't send products outside the USA. It is a common problem for us in Australia.:roll: :lol:

TashaKat
04-25-2006, 06:38 AM
You can get Danskin dance tights from 'Dancia' in the UK. They have a web site and are very helpful. I don't know the URL but I'm sure that it would come up if you did a google :)

Rusty Blades
04-25-2006, 07:56 AM
I am 5' 9" and 200 pounds (but if you tell anyone, I will deny it!) and find Mondor footed tights in size XL fit fine for me. They are anything but sheer and look very nice. They also have enough elastic in the top to help shape a bit.

I have to loose a bunch more weight before I switch to a skating dress :cry:

skaternum
04-25-2006, 08:40 AM
I have friends who are around 5'7" and weigh between 170 and 190. They can wear the Danskin footed skating tights in size D (the largest).

sk8er1964
04-25-2006, 09:12 AM
I can wear both Mondor and Danskin without problems. Mondor does make a heavier weight footless tight that I like.

Scarlett
04-25-2006, 11:25 AM
I have a very stocky build (read: short, muscular, and plump) and find I do very well in Mondor adult L tights.

Mrs Redboots
04-25-2006, 11:27 AM
I am 5' 9" and 200 pounds (but if you tell anyone, I will deny it!) and find Mondor footed tights in size XL fit fine for me. They are anything but sheer and look very nice. They also have enough elastic in the top to help shape a bit.

I have to loose a bunch more weight before I switch to a skating dress :cry:

Nonsense, Dianne - I weighed more at one stage than you do now, and I wore a wrap skirt - in fact, I think I looked a bit slimmer in it than I did in my leggings.

But I agree, the largest Mondor and Danskin both fit very well. But for practice I mostly wore (and still do), cheap supermarket thick tights - no point in wearing out expensive skating tights before one must!

SDFanatic
04-25-2006, 06:50 PM
Danskins are ok, size D was good for 5' 8" and 200lbs size C felt a bit small at 170lbs.

Mondors in my opinion are thin, but I hear you can special order them in sizes up to XXXL.

Steven

sk8er1964
04-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Mondors in my opinion are thin, but I hear you can special order them in sizes up to XXXL.

Steven

You're the second person to say that. I had a pair of ribbed Mondors that I actually thought were too thick, and my current pair are a perfect thickness. Now I did think my last pair of OTB's were too thin for regular winter skating -- maybe it's just the footless that are thick enough for regular practice/wear. My supplier just knows what I want, so I don't even know the type that I get.

AW1
04-26-2006, 01:04 AM
Now I did think my last pair of OTB's were too thin for regular winter skating

That's interesting because that's what I got. They are OTB, but they seem quite sheer (read: flimsy and shiny YUK) on the legs but a bit thicker where they cover the boot. I don't really like them at all to be honest.

Skate@Delaware
04-26-2006, 07:57 AM
I like the Mondor microfiber. I believe you can get them in sizes like XXL or even larger. But the waist comes up way high!! They have tons of stretch in them. The ribbed tights are very thick like sweater knit tights. I do wear 2 pair of the microfiber together (my rink is cold). They aren't too bulky that way, but warm.

cecealias
04-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Technically I should wear a size M in Mondor tights but I wear two pairs of tights, the outside one is footless. I like to get the footless in XXL or XL in the Mondors because over time they shrink and i like them long enough to pull over the boot heel without having to fight with it.

AW1
04-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Ok so I bit the bullet and bought some Danskin tights. The pair of footed I got in a size D (not the C/D combo) and they fit quite well actually - well as good as to be expected I think. The OTB ones are the C/D combo size, and they don't fit as well but they are bearable.... I just wish I had decent enough figure to wear a skating outfit but alas these will stay under my pants for now.

gt20001
05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
That's interesting because that's what I got. They are OTB, but they seem quite sheer (read: flimsy and shiny YUK) on the legs but a bit thicker where they cover the boot. I don't really like them at all to be honest.

I currently have 2 pair of the over the boot mondor tights there is one that is sheer and thin that is the one with the 2 clips that connect under the boot the one that connects with 3 velcro straps under the boot is alotless sheer and is more durable i have worn mine for like a month and only have a few holes around the boot area where i was constantly working on lunges other than that they have held up good i was around 170 5'6 range and the mondor large size fit me really good.