View Full Version : Vote for which Boots I should buy. Please!

SkatingOnClouds
04-24-2006, 10:33 PM
I am getting so confused about which boots to get. I have been reading all the advice on this forum for months. I finally have money to get new boots and blades, and haven't a clue which to buy.

I am 46 and fat (over 200lbs), huge bunions. Returning to skating after 20 years away so frequently have wobbles on landings or falls. Currently doing toe-loops, waltz jumps, pathetic loops & salchows, working on regaining my flip then will work on regaining lutz. Basic spins and back spins, ready to start tackling scratch, sit and camels. Hope to have all these basic elements consistent by the end of the year. If I can do that, my dream is to work on axels and maybe a double something.

Current boots are Graf Galaxy. Heavily modified (holes cut in side, covered in softer leather) to accommodate large bunions, but still hurt the outside of my feet. I love the inside of them around the heel and ankle, the padding and so forth, very comfy. Current blades are 20 year old Phantoms which have been very badly treated and sharpened over the years, nearing end of useful life.

I do not have access to pro-shops or fitters, other skaters to talk to or look at their boots, I have to do this via the internet or mail. I know this subkect gets done to death, but I am sure someone is going to reply with something which makes it all suddenly clear to me.

These are the options that I am considering.

SP Teri KT-2 Custom: because there is a retailer in Australia I've bought other things from and I would trust with this. I have read these are like concrete, which does worry me, but I figure that means lots of support and they should last a long time. Plus the purple boots are very tempting.

Jackson Elite Supreme: available in Australia, recently found out they make EE fittings (thanks Alani) so I might not need customs. This is the cheapest option.

Jackson Proflex (hinged): because again I mightn't need custom made. Hinged boots appeal because they might help compensate for my knees' unwillingness to bend, and to allow extra spring for jumps.

Graf Custom F-4000 (hinged): because I really like the comfort of my Graf Galaxy, see above for comments about hinged boots, and I figure the Graf hinged boot has less technology to go wrong. I suspect this is the most expensive option though.

Klingbeil Customs: because no-one on this forum has yet had a bad word to say about Klings.

Other: feel free to include your own recommendations in here.

You will notice that all of them are way above the level of my skating. I figure I need a better engineered boot because of my weight, my kamikaze skating style, and because I need them to last a long time.

I was going to ask you to vote on blades too, but while writing this I made my decision to stick with Phantoms. I realised that what I wanted was something exactly like my Phantoms without being called Phantoms because I know they are way beyond my skating level and I don't want to be thought of as a poser. I am too scared to change from the blade I know, too worried about how it might set back my skating progress. I want my big cross cut picks, my 7' rocker and 7/16" ROH.

TashaKat
04-25-2006, 12:17 AM
I have read these are like concrete, which does worry me, but I figure that means lots of support and they should last a long time. Plus the purple boots are very tempting.

I haven't answered the poll because you really need to buy boots that are at your level or just above. I have Harlick double duo bond boots BUT I couldn't have worn them when I was starting out, they'd have ripped my feet and ankles to shreds. Lots of support MAY mean that they last forever but it also means that you could be crippled and can't skate anyway. I've been crippled by boots before and it's not nice and certainly doesn't help your skating.

By buying boots that are too strong for you they'll not break in correctly and you won't get knee bend or toe pointing!

The purple boots that I have are Harlick customs :)

Hinged boots appeal because they might help compensate for my knees' unwillingness to bend, and to allow extra spring for jumps.

The spring comes from the elasticity in the bend, if you bend and stick then you won't get any benefit. Personally I'm not convinced by hinged boots (plus they're ugly). I just think that there's just more to go wrong on them.

Why not plan an 'away day' to somewhere where you can get expert advice and fitting? It's impossible to recommend boots for someone because we're all different, have different feet shapes and different needs.

For the record, I have Harlick customs. Love them to bits. The only other boot that I can wear without getting loads of lumps and bumps is Wifa.

Good luck with your search, I really would try and go somewhere to try on and look at a variety of different makes and styles.

AW1
04-25-2006, 02:37 AM
Why not plan an 'away day' to somewhere where you can get expert advice and fitting? It's impossible to recommend boots for someone because we're all different, have different feet shapes and different needs.

I really would try and go somewhere to try on and look at a variety of different makes and styles.

Sorry to burst the bubble TashaKat, but no such place exists in Australia :cry: hence why SOC is having problems. I had the same problem myself.

Karen, I haven't voted but you know I'm a similar position to you in terms of weight (not age) and I'm not near your level and I'm waiting on my Jackson Competitors. Initially I was going to get Elites, but on the lady from Sydney's advice, she said I really didn't need to go any higher than the compeditor. I can strongly recommend giving her a call - if nothing else she will either say she can or can't fit you into a Jackson easily enough.

Oh and TashaKat I agree I think the hinged boots are ugly - no offence to anyone who has them, I just don't like the look of them.

SkatingOnClouds
04-25-2006, 03:57 AM
Yes, wouldn't it be nice to just go across town to the professional fitter, who might even have a range of boots in different brands and models that one could try on? As Alani said, there isn't a place like that here. I have to do this long distance, whether within or outside Australia.

Alani, I did email the place you suggested, and had a reply today. I'm asking whether she thinks the Jacksons would fit without having to go for customs, because that would be a much cheaper option.

I also think the Jackson hinged boots are ugly, I prefer the look of the Graf hinged boot. One thing about the Jacksons though is that you can adjust the laces to fit around you foot, and the ankle cuff to fit around your ankle independantly, getting the best fit in both places. I find it hard to get the boots snug enough around the shin, no matter how tightly I pull the laces there is sideways wobble because I have skinny ankles.

About getting boots which are higher level than my skating, I thought I needed to do that to get enough support landing jumps because of my size. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Mrs Redboots
04-25-2006, 05:52 AM
I don't see how anybody could recommend anything specific, because one person's seriously comfortable "bedroom-slippers" are another's foot-wreckers! It totally depends on the shape of your feet and, of course, what is available to you.

My own skates are Gam 700s, which I adore, but I know other folk who had Gams and absolutely hated them.

AW1
04-25-2006, 07:05 AM
About getting boots which are higher level than my skating, I thought I needed to do that to get enough support landing jumps because of my size. Am I wrong in thinking that?

Well I am going up - I'm not doing ANY jumps, in fact I do mostly synchro skating and I got the compeditors, that is probably due to the weight factor so they don't break down too quickly.... It's just a matter of how much above you need to go I think. They will let you know, they're pretty good.

phoenix
04-25-2006, 07:17 AM
The thing about the Jackson hinged boots is they are still working out the bugs. Most people I know of who have them have had to have parts replaced, if not the whole boot. Since you are so remote & would have to wait for shipping, communication, etc., it seems that wouldn't be a good choice for you.

I can't really comment other than that. I'd email or call someone at the manufacturers & get their recommendations. I also am of the school that getting a boot too high above you is a bad idea & can cause injuries, but maybe with the weight factor it makes a difference--I don't know.

sunshinepointe
04-25-2006, 08:51 AM
All of these boots have extremely different fits/feels - we can't tell you what to get because we haven't seen your feet and we haven't seen you skate. I will say that it seems like all of these boots are a little too advanced for your level - the elite supreme is designed for folks doing triples for example (of course you know this already). If your concern is wobbling in the boot then make sure you're getting a proper fit. My guess is that your best bet would be to get customs so you're sure youre getting the right fit but NOTHING is 100% - or go up a level or two in the grafs since you know they fit you properly (assuming they do.) Also you might need to build up ankle strength if you're having problems with wobbling - I have extremely flexible, but strong ankles from dancing and I get the wobbles too - and I'm also a bigger girl - but I have Graf Richmond Specials and they support my weight just fine when I learned to relax in them a bit.

Just my 2 cents too - don't sacrifice comfort for wanting boots that will "last a long time". Get boots that will work for you otherwise you'll be miserable.

dbny
04-25-2006, 11:31 AM
I voted for the custom Klingbeils simply because I've seen what they can do for feet with large bunions. Given what you've had to do with your current boots to accomodate your bunions, I don't think any stock boot is going to be comfortable for you.

emma
04-25-2006, 12:29 PM
I have to agree with sunshinepoint. You really dont need boots as advanced and stiff as those mentioned. There is alot if evidence out there that wearing boots that are to stiff for your skating level causes you to have alot more injuries. I also need new boots and am now skating in badley broken down Graf Edmontons. I spent an hour trying on all types of boots and the only one that didnt cause me great pain were thr Graf Edmontons. I said i would never buy another pair of Grafs because they break down so quickly but comfort really is the key to being able to skate . Customs are a pretty expensive option given that most boots are heat moldable and much can be done working out spots that are bothersome by a good skate tech at the pro shop. I also have hugh bunions, bone spurs etc... but i found that all those lumps and bumps can be worked out with the newer boots. I thought that because i am an adult skater that boots should last me alot longer . But i do skate five days a week 2 to 3 hours a day and i am working on getting my doulbles back so boots will not last longer than 12 to 18 months. That is just the reality of this very expensive sport. Good luck

TimDavidSkate
04-25-2006, 12:37 PM
Personally I just trust SP Terri KT3 ~ I broke them in, about 3 days. After that they begin to begin to be comfortable:halo:

doubletoe
04-25-2006, 01:17 PM
I weigh under 120 lbs and I did not find the SP Teri KT-2's to be "bricks."
They are much more comfortable to break in than their predecessors, the Super Teri Deluxe, and they soften up a lot when you heat mold them (although they do stiffen up a little when they get cold). I think KT-3's would be a little risky for you to try, but KT-2's ought to give you enough support without restricting your ankle bend too much. If you end up breaking them down in a year, you can always go up to KT-3's.

doubletoe
04-25-2006, 01:21 PM
P.S. On the SP Teri KT-2 and KT-3, the notch in the lace-up area and the lower rise in back give your foot and ankle more flex-point (forward/backward) mobility while still providing great lateral support.

Perry
04-25-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't know if this holds true for skaters doing singles, but for skaters doing doubles/triples, Klingbeils do not last very long at all. I got a new pair in September, and they're already pretty much at their end (I'm pretty sure I'm in the second highest level of support). That said, I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Klingbeils, and since I had so much trouble with Reidells (the only other boot I've ever been in), replacing your boots more often/making do with less than perfect support is worth it in terms of the fit. That said, if you're only doing singles, make sure, if you do buy Klingbeils, that you're very specific about what kind of support you want/need...they degree of support in the boots tends to be a little variant from what is on the order sheet.

Isk8NYC
04-25-2006, 03:26 PM
I would agree with Perry's statement about getting proper support in Klingbeil's skates. I have the "pro" skate and the right boot is breaking down in the ankle after just four years of teaching and barely skating. In fairness, I am much heavier now than I was when I skated as a young adult. I chose the pro skate for warmth, rather than a freestyle boot for strength.

If you go with Klingbeil skates, get a little bit stiffer boot than you think you'll need.

beachbabe
04-25-2006, 04:09 PM
klingbeils...they are very good about getting your foot just right, plus customs just give you that full level of customization.

go for it

dbny
04-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Customs are a pretty expensive option given that most boots are heat moldable and much can be done working out spots that are bothersome by a good skate tech at the pro shop. I also have hugh bunions, bone spurs etc... but i found that all those lumps and bumps can be worked out with the newer boots.

In general, I would agree. I haven't seen SkatingOnClouds feet, of course, but I did see bunions so big that the shape of the custom Klingbeils was noticeably odd. The skater getting them was thrilled with what was the first perfectly comfortable boot she had ever worn. For bunions that big, there is nothing that could be done with heat molding and punching out.

Skate@Delaware
04-26-2006, 08:11 AM
I am 46 and fat (over 200lbs), huge bunions. Returning to skating after 20 years away so frequently have wobbles on landings or falls. Currently doing toe-loops, waltz jumps, pathetic loops & salchows, working on regaining my flip then will work on regaining lutz. Basic spins and back spins, ready to start tackling scratch, sit and camels. Hope to have all these basic elements consistent by the end of the year. If I can do that, my dream is to work on axels and maybe a double something.
I'm wondering why you have on the list Jackson Elite Supremes??? They are really advanced boots---super, super stiff! If you don't have that much knee bend now, there is no way you'd bend in those!

I skate in Jackson competitors and they are very stiff. I have been in them since I was 205 pounds. It took a while to break them in (one year). I skate 15 hours a week (in season). I also have bunions. Just my 2 cents worth. ;)

CanAmSk8ter
04-26-2006, 10:08 PM

Yes and no... you're going to need a heavier boot than a 140-pound skater at the same skill level, but going up more than one level of stiffness is probably a bad idea. Not only will it restrict your knee bend, which you've said needs work anyway, but it's going to put extra stress on your joints, which are already under extra stress from your jumping as you've said you're overweight. I'm not familiar with all of the skates you mentioned, but the Jackson Elite Supreme is almost certainly too much boot for you. I wear the Jackson two levels down from that, and I'm doing axels and doubles (with varying degrees of success;) ) and skating eight to ten hours a week. I'm only 130 pounds, but I'm also only 5'1", so I'm not exactly small either, although between skating, yoga, and hockey a lot of that's muscle.

Anyway, it sounds like with your various foot issues (I have my own, I can sympathise) your best bet is probably customs. I'm in heat-moldable Jacksons myself, and if those hadn't come on the market when they did I'd be in customs myself. I recommend that you give the heat-moldables a try except that if you don't have pro shops and service people to help you with that part of it it could end up being a hassle if there are spots you need heated and second time to stretch them out or whatever. I know people who swear by each of the brands of customs so whichever is easiest for you to deal with would probably work out. Good luck and let us know how you decide!

SkatingOnClouds
04-27-2006, 04:03 AM
Thank you everyone for your thoughts on my choices. Honestly I'm not much closer to making a decision, but I do realise the sense in what you're saying about not going too much higher than my level. It isn't so much about wanting them to last for years, more about giving me enough support.
I will go for boots that are not too much above my level.

My current boots are heat moldable, but using the most extreme stretching methods I couldn't get enough width. Even though I ended up cutting holes for the bunions on the inner side of my feet, the boots now hurt the outside of my feet. In fact my feet have become 1/2inch wider (or 1 inch as an all around measurement) since I started wearing these boots. This is not good.

So, my options as I see them are:

Klingbeils custom, SP Teri KT-2 custom, Jackson Competitor or Elite in EE fitting if they'll fit.

Obviously if Jacksons make a wide enough fitting as a special fitting rather than custom, that is the cheapest option. My first boots on returning to skating were Jackson Mystiques (the place I bought them from sent them instead of Classiques). I was not at all impressed with them. I had a look at the inside of a pair of Competitors the other night, wasn't impressed with the padding around the ankle.

Ah well, the lightening bolt of inspiration may yet strike. Actually the way I am skating at the moment I wish it would strike.