View Full Version : Should I or Shouldnt I?

cassarilda
04-23-2006, 04:10 AM
I have uni holidays coming up soon... about a month...

I have two choices.

1) I can stay in Melbourne and skate at our crap rink as much as possible by myself, and/or getting trained by hubby. Probably only one session a day and only 3-5 days a week (our rink is closed Monday and Tuesdays, and weekends are too crowded)... $14 per session, for me and hubby so = $28 per session x 4 days x 4 weeks = $448 + fuel

2) We can do a trip to Sydney, stay with my grandparents for 2 weeks, and train at a really good rink up there... and hopefully get some good coaching sessions with my hubby's old dance coaches. I would LOVE to do this. But the cost is substantially more...

Fuel = approx $300 just to get to Sydney and back (possibly more cos of stupid fuel prices).
Rink = possible to do the early morning figure sessions (6-8.30am), and public sessions (from 9am - 5.30pm) most days...
Cost- Im sure we could figure something out with the rink (its $15pp per session, but its $300 per quarter, so thats about 20 sessions, which I could easily enough fill up in 2 weeks)...
+ Coach costs - $50 per half hour... so kinda exxy if I wanted to do a lot.

I would REALLY love to go to Sydney, but the costs are a bit steep ($300 over 3 months I can justify, but over 2 weeks?)... but Ive hit a rut, I dont really have confidence in the coaches here, plus there is just not enough time/ice to get anything good out of them, and my group classes are a bit bleurgh/boring and I really want to be able to push myself for a bit and just skate and leap up to the next level... I feel like I can do that in Sydney...

I am really hanging out to our move back to Perth, where we will be living close to the rink (about 20mins), and be able to skate in the early morning with not many people on the ice (on GOOD ice), and have good regular hard workouts... BUT thats another 8months away and I really want to do well before then, and not stay in one learning spot.

SO... its just a general thinking post, but any comments are welcome...

sorry, its kinda long.

SkatingOnClouds
04-23-2006, 04:23 AM
8 months is a long time to wait until you get to Perth. At least you are getting to move somewhere with a nice rink. Mind you I only ever skated at your rink once, back in the late 80's and thought it was wonderful. Things change, I guess - except at our rink.

What does hubby think about the choices? You have discussed it with him, right?:halo:

Personally if I could, I would jump at Sydney. Unfortunately my husband doesn't take lessons or skate regularly (yet, give me time).

cassarilda
04-23-2006, 05:24 AM
SOC - which rink was it? Oakliegh (its called 'Olympic Ice Rink' but thats false advertising because its hardly hockey size) is the only rink in Melbourne now.. there is one in Bendigo but that doesnt count because its 2hrs away... there used to be 2 or 3 I think.. :)

Yes, have discussed it with hubby... he likes the idea, but we need to think about the money issue :) PLus he'll be teaching me a bit when we get there so he's essential to the plan :lol:

AW1
04-23-2006, 07:14 PM
Now Erinna you silly sausage, why didn't you guys consider coming to Brissy instead. Weather's better. We have a good rink (ok so I won't say fantastic but anyhow). Figure sessions $10 - 13 (you wouldn't want to go public!) Coaching is much cheaper (half actually, around $25 - 28 per 30 minutes depending on the coach) but you'd have to find somewhere to bunk down which could be more expensive than the extra cost for lessons.

Actually on second thoughts, hang the expense lets go to Bolivia or somewhere obscure. I'll come too LOL (if only I had the money!)

Anyway, I say IF you can manage to scrape together the extra money then definitely do it. DO IT ! DO IT ! DO IT !

cassarilda
04-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Now Erinna you silly sausage, why didn't you guys consider coming to Brissy instead. Weather's better. We have a good rink (ok so I won't say fantastic but anyhow). Figure sessions $10 - 13 (you wouldn't want to go public!) Coaching is much cheaper (half actually, around $25 - 28 per 30 minutes depending on the coach) but you'd have to find somewhere to bunk down which could be more expensive than the extra cost for lessons.

Youre a little bias arent you?! :D

Plus, hubby's old coaches arent in Brissie... and in Sydney we dont have to pay for accomodation ;)

I would actually LOVE to come to Brissie for Nationals this year, but its in the middle of semester so we cant :(

Oh, and I LOVE the idea of going to Bolivia! :lol: :D

doubletoe
04-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Go to Sydney. It's such an awesome city, and you can rationalize the expenditure by telling yourself you are spending quality time with your grandparents. I am not really joking about that second part. Mine passed away twelve years ago, and I would spend thousands of dollars to have just one more day with them.

KiZa_32
04-24-2006, 02:18 AM
come 2 sydney...
we have a heap of skating rinks (i personaly love the 1 i go 2) and when your not skating you can sight see...like ders much 2 see lol jks

KiZa

AW1
04-24-2006, 02:49 AM
Youre a little bias arent you?! :D

Yes I am and of course I was only joking about coming to Brisbane instead of Sydney.

BTW, hope everything goes Ok for you tonight (YKWIM! ;) )

SkatingOnClouds
04-24-2006, 03:16 AM
SOC - which rink was it? Oakliegh (its called 'Olympic Ice Rink' but thats false advertising because its hardly hockey size) is the only rink in Melbourne now..

Yes, I went to the one in Oakleigh. Compared to our rink it was huge and the ice was beautiful. Actually someone who skates here went to Oakleigh a few weeks ago, and commented on how fast the ice is there compared to our rink.

Bolivia? Are there ice rinks there? I long to visit Vancouver.

AW1
04-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Bolivia? Are there ice rinks there?

I have no idea Karen, it was just somewhere that I plucked out of my head that sounded kinda obscure! :lol:

jazzpants
04-24-2006, 11:45 AM
Go for Sydney! You only leave once! Heck, I say the same thing about going to NYC every year and my only justification is to see my in-laws and my little baby niece grow up every year. As far as I'm concerned, if you can afford it... damn the $$$, family trumps all!!! Besides, I really enjoyed seeing my coaches in NYC and NJ too! :mrgreen:

Raye
04-24-2006, 05:12 PM
I voted for you to go. Family is everything, so enjoy the time with your grandparents. Look at the skating as a training camp - now $300 sounds like a bargain! You will get a lot out of it because you will work harder for those two weeks "Darn right I'm gonna skate today - d'ya know how much I PAID to be here!!!...." it's psychological (sp). Go have fun.