View Full Version : Another skate question

Skittl1321
04-19-2006, 06:54 PM
I asked my instructor today where she recommended getting skates and she said that the rink pro shop is where pretty much all the instructors at the rink order their skates and recommended I check a Reidell Silver Star with a Coronation Ace Blade. However, the pro shop couldn't tell me the price of the boot- just that the blade would be over $200. That makes a bit wary about the shop, even if I was told they were good. They don't even know prices!

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could give me a price range for the boot- the Reidell website lists them for $385, and I want to know if that is with or without a blade. $600 for a beginner skate seems like a lot. I was hoping to spend about $300 is that just completely unrealistic?

Also could someone help explain the difference between The Bronze Star, Silver Star and Gold Medallion.

Right now I am a Basic 4 and hope these skates can take me through my single jumps. (I know you also need to know my weight to suggest a strength of boot so I'm 120 pounds) I am most likely going to get Cornoation Ace Blades or MK Pros based on things I have read, but don't know where to start on the boots.

I'm not set on Reidell's they are just what is available near me.

beachbabe
04-19-2006, 07:06 PM
I asked my instructor today where she recommended getting skates and she said that the rink pro shop is where pretty much all the instructors at the rink order their skates and recommended I check a Reidell Silver Star with a Coronation Ace Blade. However, the pro shop couldn't tell me the price of the boot- just that the blade would be over $200. That makes a bit wary about the shop, even if I was told they were good. They don't even know prices!

Anyway, I was wondering if someone could give me a price range for the boot- the Reidell website lists them for $385, and I want to know if that is with or without a blade. $600 for a beginner skate seems like a lot. I was hoping to spend about $300 is that just completely unrealistic?

Also could someone help explain the difference between The Bronze Star, Silver Star and Gold Medallion.

Right now I am a Basic 4 and hope these skates can take me through my single jumps. (I know you also need to know my weight to suggest a strength of boot so I'm 120 pounds) I am most likely going to get Cornoation Ace Blades or MK Pros based on things I have read, but don't know where to start on the boots.

I'm not set on Reidell's they are just what is available near me.

hmm, well I don't know who recommended you riedell silver stars because they are definately way too much for you. A lot of competitive skaters at my rink use the riedell silver stars right up untill they start their double axel and beginning triples. Trust me you don't need these boots yet and you won't be able to break them in unless you can do at least upper singles such as lutz and axel. Beginner skates do not have to cost that much, you'll just end up having to put them away untill you skate agressively enough to break them in.

I would recoomend the Jackson Freestyle skate set. I used these right up to starting my single Lutz but upgraded to Jackson elites as i am on my double loop and starting double flip right now.

They will probably run you about $180 and that is including the blade.

Anyone that tells you to pay more than that is pumping you for money.

So go for Jackson Freestyles-very good for your level and will take you through all your single jumps except for maybe the axel...but by the time you are on axel youll prolly need new boots anyways b/c skates dont last forever.

I think an equivalent in riedells is bronze medallion- but why pay more for less skate?

seriously...jackson freestyles...give em a try

racytracy
04-19-2006, 07:15 PM
i have coronation ace's and unless you are getting the k-pick they should be under 200$ (not including tax) like around $180, i think.

i would still to the medallion level boots if i were you. they will be easier for you to break in and probably cheaper. i don't generally agree with buying more boot than you need because you run a risk of being really really miserable.

Skittl1321
04-19-2006, 08:03 PM
hmm, well I don't know who recommended you riedell silver stars because they are definately way too much for you. A lot of competitive skaters at my rink use the riedell silver stars right up untill they start their double axel and beginning triples.

My current instructor did- I told her I wanted to upgrade my skates to something "real" (i'm in sports store ones now) that would take me through single jumps.

I wonder if she meant Silver Medallion because I asked her at the end of class and she might have been a bit rushed.

skatingdoris
04-20-2006, 07:40 AM
i don't claim to know anything about riedell boots as i have never used them but the riedell site has a boot recomendation page that lists all their boots against what test levels they are recommended for;
http://www.riedellskates.com/fit/boots.html

i have mk pros and think they are great

VegasGirl
04-20-2006, 08:14 AM
$600 for a beginner skate seems like a lot. I was hoping to spend about $300 is that just completely unrealistic?

I agree and no $300 is definitely not unrealistic, quite the contrary... I spent $120 on my skates (boots & blades), they're Jackson Classiques and a good pair not just for beginners but all the way up to beginning freestylers and entry level competitions. If you plan on keeping them for a while though and to do a lot of jumping in them I'd go up to the Jackson Freestyle which would run you around $180 (boots & blades) and should take you into single jumps.

quarkiki2
04-20-2006, 08:58 AM
I disagree that Silver Stars may be too much for a beginning skater -- as an adult, there are other factors to consider, weight being right up there. I'm overweight and learned forward crossovers wearing a Gold Star. I had no issue with break-in (no blisters, no pain -- nothing) and they are NOT too much skate for me because I'm heavy and have a long Achilles' tendon (that means that I can bend my knees very deeply -- just not when I'm skating, LOL!) I also have very flexible ankles and need a boot that won't let me rock to the inside or outside just because it's too soft.

I do recommend trying on several pairs, styles, and makes of skates to find what will fit your foot best, and make sure that you are getting the right amount of boot for your body and skating. I went in to my fitting expecting a pair of the old 320's and tried them, bent my knees and folded the boots like they were a pair of socks. Same with the Bronze Stars. The Silver Stars didn't bend, but were just a little too comfortable, so I ended up with the Gold Stars and have not regretted buying an expensive, stiff boot once.

I've got a pair of Aces on my desk at home -- just waiting for our Synchro season to be over so I can switch them out. Yay!!!

Kristin
04-20-2006, 11:49 AM

I would ask one of the higher level skaters at your rink (someone who is landing several of their double or triple jumps) where they go to get boots. You *need* to be fitted properly and although your instructor may be thinking she is doing you a favor by telling you "reidell silver stars with coronation ace blades", the reidell line may not be the best line of boots for your feet right now. Then again, maybe it is. You won't know until you get a real boot fitter to look at your feet & measure you for boots.

Proper fit for skating is absolutely essential to success. I have sometimes driven over an hour or taken vacation time off work to get my boots worked on by the right person. I have had poorly fitted boots in the past and was in pain for a very long time before finding out what was right for my feet. So do yourself a favor and get a 2nd opinion by a real bootfitter.

luna_skater
04-20-2006, 02:35 PM
I disagree that Silver Stars may be too much for a beginning skater -- as an adult, there are other factors to consider, weight being right up there.

I agree with that. I'm extremely surprised, beachbabe, to hear that you know people who stay in Silver Stars through the double axel. Those must be very light skaters!

beachbabe
04-20-2006, 03:00 PM
I agree with that. I'm extremely surprised, beachbabe, to hear that you know people who stay in Silver Stars through the double axel. Those must be very light skaters!

Well I can think of 1 girl right now, shes 14 and weight about 120 pounds i think. She wore them for all her doubles but when she started learning double axel she went up to the 1500's

Now, i'm no expert on riedells as I have never worn them myself (I wear jackson elite plus, this is why I recommended jackson freestyle which i know will last). What I do know, is that I have never seen someone in an advanced riedell model learning waltz jumps and crossovers. Unless you are extremely overweight that boot would be too much. Skittl1321 mentioned being 120 pounds which is about the same as the girl above

In addition if you click the link skatingdoris provided you can see those will take you all the way to novice.

Why pay so much for boots and blades when they are going to hinder progress, a beginner skater does not need a boot that with her weight would take weeks to really break in.

jackson freestyles would accomodate her through all the single jumps, and after that they'll need replacing anyways and she can get some better boots like maybe gold stars just to give room to improve.

as far as blades go, i can't deny coronation aces are the best, I have them. unfortunately mine are sharpened down and I'm getting mk visions. So that is definately a good blade choice, but no beginner boot should cost $400

Skittl1321
04-20-2006, 03:09 PM
I would ask one of the higher level skaters at your rink (someone who is landing several of their double or triple jumps) where they go to get boots. You *need* to be fitted properly and although your instructor may be thinking she is doing you a favor by telling you "reidell silver stars with coronation ace blades", the reidell line may not be the best line of boots for your feet right now. Then again, maybe it is. You won't know until you get a real boot fitter to look at your feet & measure you for boots.

Proper fit for skating is absolutely essential to success. I have sometimes driven over an hour or taken vacation time off work to get my boots worked on by the right person. I have had poorly fitted boots in the past and was in pain for a very long time before finding out what was right for my feet. So do yourself a favor and get a 2nd opinion by a real bootfitter.

So it sounds like skating boots are much like pointe shoes and it really makes a huge difference what you are in. I took her "silver stars" suggestion as a place to start- such as if that didn't work, then try another comprable one. All of the advanced skaters I have asked have Reidell's from the rink's pro shop, but they all have different models, and many of them have different blades. These are all people who are landing doubles, but most of them are also LTS instructors- so I wonder if they get a discount.

I'm willing to spend the money to find good skates (well I thought $300 was a big of enough budget for now, with the blade- I just started!) and willing to drive a distance if I need too (the rink is 45 minutes away anyway) but I don't know where else I might go. Anyone I've asked seems to buy them at the rink.

Thank you all for the suggestion. If I can find a fitter I'll check out the Reidell Medallion line and the Jackson Freestyles.

I think I saw that Freestyles come with a blade. Can I get away with using that for awhile, or is it imperitive that I get something like the coronation ace?

luna_skater
04-20-2006, 03:09 PM
I wore the old Silver Star model for 8.5 years (fall of 96 to spring of 05; had them rebuilt after 4 years). I believe they have been re-modelled now, so I'm not sure if the new version is stiffer or less stiff than the old. I got the boots when I was 16, so I was about 5'6" and probably 120-125 lbs. Doing synchro 3-4 times a week in them from Sept to March, and not skating in the summer, they felt very broken down after 4 years so I had them rebuilt (which I think was a mistake, but that's a separate discussion!). Had I been jumping, they would have broken down much faster, I'm sure.

TwirlGirl10
04-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Im 5.5 and about 124 lbs and im in silver stars right now. I am working on double flips and I am getting new skates soon because these broke down. I don't see a problem with someone in their early doubles having these and even higher singles. I guess if you are overweight or really tall then they would be fine but if you are pretty light and not that advanced, I would not suggest it. They were pretty hard to break in.

Bothcoasts
04-20-2006, 03:29 PM
I disagree that Silver Stars may be too much for a beginning skater -- as an adult, there are other factors to consider, weight being right up there. I'm overweight and learned forward crossovers wearing a Gold Star. I had no issue with break-in (no blisters, no pain -- nothing) and they are NOT too much skate for me because I'm heavy and have a long Achilles' tendon (that means that I can bend my knees very deeply -- just not when I'm skating, LOL!) I also have very flexible ankles and need a boot that won't let me rock to the inside or outside just because it's too soft.

I agree with quarkiki's post. Silver Stars aren't necessarily a bad model for someone of your size, at your level and with your particular goals--particularly if your coach also recommends them. I used Silver Stars for high basic skills and low freestyle lessons, and broke the skates down within 6 months. My mother--a solely recreational skater who prefers doing stroking and edges alone at public sessions--has skated in Silver Stars consistently since 1998. She loves them!

For an adult-sized skater, there is a good chance you would break heavy skates down quicker than kid skaters. IMO, the guide on the Riedell site works better for kids than adults. In general, however, there are lots of variables you need to consider beyond simply a skater's current level.

doubletoe
04-20-2006, 04:21 PM
I would recoomend the Jackson Freestyle skate set.
seriously...jackson freestyles...give em a try

Yep, I agree.

VegasGirl
04-21-2006, 05:38 AM
I think I saw that Freestyles come with a blade. Can I get away with using that for awhile, or is it imperitive that I get something like the coronation ace?

At your level the blades that come with the Freestyles are just fine and if you find that you need different blades later on then you can still have them changed. I've been skating in my Jackson Classiques (the model below the Freestyles) for 2 years now with the blade they came with (I think it's the same as on the Freestyle) and have absolutely no problems with them.

Isk8NYC
04-24-2006, 07:15 AM
However, the pro shop couldn't tell me the price of the boot- just that the blade would be over $200. That makes a bit wary about the shop, even if I was told they were good. They don't even know prices!

The pro shop probably has to order the boots and blades. When they find out how much they're getting charged, they'll tell you. The salesperson may have been testing you to see how serious you were, or it may not have been one of the main fitters who knows the figure skating prices.

The Bronze Medallions are okay for rookies, but since you're an adult who's already (!) skating well, I'd recommend one of the other models you mentioned. Or, look at the Jackson line of boots, Freestyle or competitor model.

I wouldn't look for a big blade with a k-pick until you start really jumping. The Coronation Aces are fine for now.

doubletoe
04-24-2006, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't look for a big blade with a k-pick until you start really jumping. The Coronation Aces are fine for now.

And even if you do start jumping, I wouldn't recommend K-picks because they can act as a crutch and allow you to develop poor technique on your toe jumps. You have to wonder why so few top skaters use them. (I can't even think of one, as a matter of fact).

Skittl1321
04-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Okay, here's a stupid question. I know now not to get a K-pick, but what is a K-pick?

Isk8NYC
04-24-2006, 01:49 PM
The K-Pick is a bit of extra metal on each side of the blade, next to the toe pick.

racytracy
04-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Well I can think of 1 girl right now, shes 14 and weight about 120 pounds i think. She wore them for all her doubles but when she started learning double axel she went up to the 1500's

that's quite a jump in stiffness. did she have any trouble breaking the 1500s in? i just got a pair of 1500s (upgrade from a gold star) so i'm curious how easy her break in went going from a silver star up to that.

beachbabe
04-24-2006, 08:12 PM
that's quite a jump in stiffness. did she have any trouble breaking the 1500s in? i just got a pair of 1500s (upgrade from a gold star) so i'm curious how easy her break in went going from a silver star up to that.

I think it took her a while i think because i enver saw her on the ice for more than 30 min sessions for like 3 or 4 weeks but then she seemed ok and would come for longer. i don't recall her complaining though like i do when i have new boots. I ilways had jackson though so it was never that bad.

Although I imagine the boot has its benefits...it last very long

russiet
04-24-2006, 08:25 PM
http://www.skates.com/John_Wilson_Ice_blades_Coronation_Ace_Figure_blade _p/jwcafb.htm

and

http://www.skates.com/MK_Figure_blades_Professional_Ice_p/mkpro.htm

Prices seem to include shipping. You have to know the correct size, so you'll need the boot first.

These are the best prices I've found so far. Let me know if you find any better prices in the US. I'm planning on purchasing in the next few weeks.

Jon

twokidsskatemom
04-24-2006, 11:00 PM
http://www.skates.com/John_Wilson_Ice_blades_Coronation_Ace_Figure_blade _p/jwcafb.htm

and

http://www.skates.com/MK_Figure_blades_Professional_Ice_p/mkpro.htm

Prices seem to include shipping. You have to know the correct size, so you'll need the boot first.

These are the best prices I've found so far. Let me know if you find any better prices in the US. I'm planning on purchasing in the next few weeks.

Jon
http://www.tidewaterice.com/mdsblades.htm

icedancer2
04-24-2006, 11:34 PM
http://www.tidewaterice.com/mdsblades.htm

Wow -- great prices! Wish I had known when I bought my blades. Will bookmark this site for sure!!

Thanks.8O