View Full Version : Whats your favorite/consistent jump?

TimDavidSkate
04-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Whats your favorite/consistent jump?

You can chose more than one if you want btw

~ My favorites are the Loop and the salchow. In the past I have used the salchow as my first jump to warmup, nowadays its the loop. I wish sometime in the future it will be the lutz or the flip. I know I can do them as my first jumps to warmup with, but not during practices. It takes me a while to get warmed up.

figure_skater
04-18-2006, 10:39 AM
fliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiip

sk8er1964
04-18-2006, 11:28 AM
I voted axels, but both those and flips are my favorites.

TashaKat
04-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Loop. It took me an AGE to get it but once I did it was as solid as a rock. The first (and only) double that I *landed* was a 2flip though it was a real fluke and I never managed to replicate it :frus: My coach just stood there open mouthed and finally asked me if I realised what I'd just done (no). I was going for a 2toe but always found flip easier than a toe so obviously went into auto pilot .... My 2loop was the closest of any doubles but I never quite got it fully rotated :(

doubletoe
04-18-2006, 12:17 PM
Lutz! :D Just don't ask me to do it from the "easy" entrance because I've forgotten how, LOL! I've been doing it from an outside spread eagle for so long now that if I try to do it from back crossovers, my timing is totally off and I pop the stupid thing! :p

PattyP
04-18-2006, 01:22 PM
Flip!! I loooovvve the flip and absolutely HATE the lutz. I don't get it. :giveup:

LoopLoop
04-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Loop all the way! Anytime, anywhere, any entrance...

sk8er1964
04-18-2006, 01:32 PM
Flip!! I loooovvve the flip and absolutely HATE the lutz. I don't get it. :giveup:

Patty - I so didn't get the lutz either, until my coach changed my entry last year from a long back outside edge to a mowhawk/cross entry.

PattyP
04-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Patty - I so didn't get the lutz either, until my coach changed my entry last year from a long back outside edge to a mowhawk/cross entry.

I was considering trying that entry again. I had to do it that way many years ago, when I was a Bronze skater. My lutz was better then than it is now :cry: I will try that entry tomorrow. Thanks for the tip! I feel better knowing there is another Gold level skater who has struggled with this.

CaraSkates
04-18-2006, 03:05 PM
I voted flip and lutz. :) My flip is my favorite jump (I hate toe loops with a passion) but my lutz is fun to do because it's one of my biggest jumps. I drove my coach NUTS when I was working on landing lutzes. I could not get the rotation. I was soaring through the air and only rotating 3/4 of the way around. She did a lot of this :frus: Now that the lutz is finally consistant (and we're starting axels 8O ) it's nice and big and fun. I still like to do half flips and half lutzes for fun and see how high I can go.

mikawendy
04-18-2006, 03:09 PM
Loops! I also like flips, but my loops are more consistent and I like 'em better.

Vicki
04-18-2006, 03:30 PM
I have to say toe loop because loop, flip and lutz are small and under rotated.

NCSkater02
04-18-2006, 03:39 PM
My favorites are flip and salchow. Most consistant is flip, realizing that I am pro-bronze/no test, and it's really half flip.

skatingdoris
04-18-2006, 04:20 PM
[QUOTE=CaraSkates] (I hate toe loops with a passion)

I totally agree, cannot seem to get it to be anything more than a steppy, hoppy thing:frus:

beachbabe
04-18-2006, 05:01 PM
ok I don't actually likr the toe loop, but my coach says it looks great when i do it. i mean i never fall on it and and i jump high and land well, it was also my first double...but i just dont like the feeling of it for some reason.

Lutz on the other hand is not perfect, but i love it. its so fun, i do it from a mohawk entrance and for some reason it makes me feel graceful lol. Lutz all the way.....lol

renatele
04-18-2006, 07:11 PM
Well, I guess it all roughly comes down to this:

if you haven't gotten your loop yet, then toe is your favorite and/or most consistent jump, as salchow just feels weird.

if you already have loop, then either loop or flip is your fave jump :)

(my favorite one right now is loop, but I expect flip will be one soon, as well - when I correct the technique and do enough of them that they don't scare me at all anymore)

jazzpants
04-18-2006, 07:14 PM

if you haven't gotten your loop yet, then toe is your favorite and/or most consistent jump, as salchow just feels weird.

(my favorite one right now is loop, but I expect flip will be one soon, as well - when I correct the technique and do enough of them that they don't scare me at all anymore)I'm working on both loops and flips! I currently like flips better!!! :twisted: (I land those more consistently than loops!)

Shinn-Reika
04-18-2006, 09:33 PM
yep, my right leg is stronger than my left, so flips (and even lutzs) are really easy. Toe loops are just easy cause I've practiced them for so long.

I wonder, once you get the axel, does it come easier?

beachbabe
04-18-2006, 10:03 PM
yep, my right leg is stronger than my left, so flips (and even lutzs) are really easy. Toe loops are just easy cause I've practiced them for so long.

I wonder, once you get the axel, does it come easier?

after a while you get to a point where its not any harder than your other singles. of course there are days when its just off, but for some reason i still prefer it over a loop for example. I am prolly just hating loop right now cos im learning to double it and definately not suceeding lol.

no really..the axel isnt that bad..once you get it and you keep it for a while it becomes way easier especially when you start learning doubles.

Mercedeslove
04-19-2006, 01:23 AM
Whatever jump I don't kill myself on. :cry:

tidesong
04-19-2006, 04:34 AM
I voted axel although its not my most consistent jump. But it does have a tolerable consistency and when I get it right, it probably gets the best height amongst my jumps.

Skate@Delaware
04-19-2006, 06:41 PM
I still hate toe-loops, even tho mine are much improved since last year.

Salchows are my fave-best jump!!! Although I did accidentally land some 1/2 loops (oops) only because i was afraid to lift my left leg up and land only on the right foot (daggone it).

Hmmm, waltz wasn't listed-i love those too!

Schmeck
04-19-2006, 06:54 PM
I had a decent toe-loop (for a 40 yr old beginner skater, that is! :lol: ) before my cancer surgery on my leg, so that's my fave! Daughter Icy has a huge flip (almost a double, about 1/3 cheat on landing) so that's her fave!

SkatingOnClouds
04-20-2006, 04:55 AM
I voted toe-loop because it is my most consistent, in that I can pretty well guarantee I will get off the ice and land safely.

I voted flip, because 20+ years ago it used to be my favourite, and it is the one element I really want to be able to do again. Unfortunately these days they are more flops than flips, I usually end up on my back.

Prefer the toe assisted jumps to the edge jumps. I guess it is a timing thing more than anything with those, I reckon I'd love loops if I were better at them. And axels, well I can dream.

Kristin
04-20-2006, 11:51 AM
The loop, by far! BUT having said that, there is a lot to be said for the waltz jump too. When done right, that baby can look like a big split jump! Awesome!

Kristin

Raye
04-20-2006, 12:18 PM
There's nothing like the rythm of a well executed salchow....:halo:

TwirlGirl10
04-20-2006, 12:29 PM
I voted loop for double loop. It took a while to get but its awsome once you do!!!!!!!!!!

NCSkater02
04-21-2006, 07:07 PM

So, does that make me completely weird? I haven't even begun to learn loop, but salchow is--or will be once I master it--my favorite jump. (Half) flip is my most consistant, as well as waltz (another fave). My lutz it fairly consistant, I just don't get much height like my flip.

Toe loop drives me up a wall--I can't seem to get the right outside edge thing down--I consistantly do a toe-waltz.:frus:

luna_skater
04-23-2006, 04:58 PM
I voted flip, but I'm not sure why, lol. I suppose it's a really consistent jump for me....when I don't overwork it. Last week I skated for the first time in two weeks (busy with finals, Easter, etc.). The first jump my coach had me do was the flip, and it was perfect. I was surprised with myself, because the flip is the jump that most often "leaves" me. I always try to get "just a bit more" height or flow, and end up overdoing it and then can't land the damn thing worth a hoot. But when I try it right out of the gate, it almost always goes well.