View Full Version : Petition for Solo Dance @ AN's

coskater64
04-17-2006, 07:12 PM
The link for the petition is: Click here (http://www.petitiononline.com/ansolod/petition.html)

sk8er1964
04-18-2006, 11:32 AM
I signed.

sk8pics
04-18-2006, 11:46 AM
I thought that adults did not have to take the solo dance tests... is that not correct? If not, do you think people who have tested only the partnered version of the dance should be allowed to skate a solo dance event? Are they now in other, local, events?

phoenix
04-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Yes, pretty much any other competition includes solo dance, including Adult Sectionals. The fact that it isn't included at Nationals means that most adult dancers can never compete there, since partners are few and far between.

jenlyon60
04-18-2006, 01:11 PM
In fact, a fair proportion of adult dancers rarely practice solo, or if they do, only do bits and pieces, not whole patterns to the music. And a side effect of that is that it catches up about the time they hit the Silver dances, where even if a dance is taken Adult Track (with lower passing average and no required solo), it is expected that the tester demonstrate that they aren't just being steered around by their coach/partner. And it will be commented upon, on the test papers. "Needs more power and flow" being a sample.

I can't necessarily do all the dances that I'm working on solo to the music (although I should push myself to do so), but I at least make a valiant effort. I know of quite a few adult women working on dance where they only want to skate with their male coach during the lesson, not work on the troublesome bits of the dance(s) solo.

phoenix
04-18-2006, 01:26 PM
ˆˆˆ Maybe having solo dance at Nationals would encourage more adults to strengthen their dances enough to compete. Believe me, I was happy to get through the European without soloing it---but now I have to compete it solo! And I'm now *extremely* motivated to get it down, so as to not embarass myself if nothing else.

jazzpants
04-18-2006, 01:33 PM
I signed. I know I'm not an ice dancer, but I most definitely would consider doing ice dancing when I no longer can do jumps (which may be very soon giving how my lower back is these days.) :cry:

As for the partner vs. solo thing, sorry, I like skating alone! I don't like relying on a partner. (Of course, if he's really good looking and makes both of us look good, that might change my mind...) ;) :P

coskater64
04-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Well, I constantly do my dances solo and I have been taught that I should always be able to do my dances solo. A lot of skater's that I know do solo dance and as noted above partners are far and few between, my partner would need to be 6'1 or 6'2 and I don't think there are a lot of fellas out there at that height who could partner me.:twisted:

Mrs Redboots
04-19-2006, 05:33 AM
Here in the UK, solo dancing is a part of our Adult Championships, and very popular it is, too! Many skaters enter both Championships, in some cases you see partners competing against one another in solo dance. And there are always those who either cannot find, or do not want, a partner.

Like the couples, solo dancers are required to do two compulsory dances and a free dance, the duration and difficulty of which obviously increases with level.

Actually, solo dance also has its own elite Championships in this country, not held at the same time as our regular Championships, but with qualifying standards almost as stringent!

Kristin
04-19-2006, 12:08 PM
I thought that adults did not have to take the solo dance tests... is that not correct? If not, do you think people who have tested only the partnered version of the dance should be allowed to skate a solo dance event? Are they now in other, local, events?

Correct about adults not being required to take solo tests. But I don't know many coaches who will even partner a student who can't even do the steps correctly solo! My dance coaches in the past have always beaten me to death with doing the steps solo over and over and over with music and without. And nowadays, no one (adult or kid) has to solo until they start taking their silver level tests so you can go pretty far without soloing. The lower level dance tests are available for soloing if you want to test them that way though.

TreSk8sAZ
04-19-2006, 01:00 PM
The lower level dance tests are available for soloing if you want to test them that way though.

Or if that's the only way you can test your dances. Partners (even coaches who partner) are few and far between in my city. All of the people who dance at my rink test the Solo track. Yes, if we ever want to partner we have to go back and retest with a partner. But at least we get to dance.

That's why I signed for ANs. I would have loved to have competed dance this year, but I can't find a partner and, like someone else, my partner would have to be around 6' in order to get the right line. Not too many guys out there like that. I love ice dancing, and compete solo in every competition I can. But until that day where I can find a partner, that's the only option I have. I'd love to see it at ANs! I do think it would be quite popular!

aussiemum
05-02-2006, 11:40 PM
I'm a bit confused, we were at an interstate comp earlier this year (Australia) and were interested to see they had a Solo Dance section which was run over a couple of days. Is this thread just relating to adults or also younger skaters. My daughter is a single skater and has also done synchro but is very interested in solo dance. She started doing ballet and jazz ballet about a year ago and loves it so thinks she may also love dance. She is wondering what it would be like to skate without jumps but thinks there will be difficult footwork that will make dance interesting.

I know little about Solo Dance and would like to know more

jenlyon60
05-03-2006, 04:42 AM
There is no Solo dance event at US Adult Nationals. This petition is to request that the United States Figure Skating Association add Solo Dance events at US Adult Nationals.

I understand in the UK there is a very viable Solo dance competition track... including a British Solo Dance champion at different levels.

I'm a bit confused, we were at an interstate comp earlier this year (Australia) and were interested to see they had a Solo Dance section which was run over a couple of days. Is this thread just relating to adults or also younger skaters. My daughter is a single skater and has also done synchro but is very interested in solo dance. She started doing ballet and jazz ballet about a year ago and loves it so thinks she may also love dance. She is wondering what it would be like to skate without jumps but thinks there will be difficult footwork that will make dance interesting.

I know little about Solo Dance and would like to know more

samba
05-03-2006, 11:15 AM
It's big in the UK, great for those who don't want to do a programme with jumps in it, but certainly no easy option.

chantelly
06-15-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm glad solo is big in the uk, I can't find a partner and probably would kill them if i did now! I'm so used to dancing alone! the odd times I dance with my coach I nearly trip him up! 8O xx

pairman2
06-15-2006, 01:50 PM
I signed. I don't plan on dancing but I will always be supportive of aspirations in skating wherever they would be found.

pairman2

Rob Dean
06-15-2006, 01:57 PM
... but I can't find a partner and, like someone else, my partner would have to be around 6' in order to get the right line. Not too many guys out there like that.

Guess I'll have to keep at this then; I could be popular some day. :)

Rob (6'0"--but only on Pre-Bronze) Dean

chantelly
06-15-2006, 02:20 PM
:lol: keep it up Rob but only if you want to be eaten alive!

phoenix
06-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Guess I'll have to keep at this then; I could be popular some day. :)

Rob (6'0"--but only on Pre-Bronze) Dean

TreSk8sAZ & I will arm wrestle for you...... (another tall girl here, also need a 6' or more partner)....

Rob Dean
06-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I hadn't ever planned to be competitive, and the other consideration is that I'm less than a year from being in Class IV. :roll: (What do they do with a mixed age team?) But, who knows? This is already a lot farther along than when I signed up for some LTS classes to be able to skate at public sessions safely, and to get some exercise...

Rob

JulieN
06-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Or if that's the only way you can test your dances. Partners (even coaches who partner) are few and far between in my city. All of the people who dance at my rink test the Solo track. Yes, if we ever want to partner we have to go back and retest with a partner. But at least we get to dance.
I'm not sure this applies to your specific situation, but a few years back, USFS approved same sex partners for test purposes. I don't know how the rule is worded, but I think it's came about so that a female coach can partner for their female students during tests.

Mrs Redboots
06-16-2006, 09:12 AM
What do they do with a mixed age team?I don't know what the USFSA rules are, but NISA rules are that you skate in the age-group of the younger partner.

Go for it, Rob - you know you want to!

aussiemum
04-15-2007, 03:24 PM
I was wondering how the petiton is going...Interest in Solo Dance is increasing here in Australai, my daughter is doing singles along with solo dance and a Solo section is starting to be included in most competitions here.

My daughter did a couple of dance tests recently, and had to do them with a partner, she is so used to doing the dances on her own, it took a bit of adjusting for her to get used to being partnered.

jskater49
04-15-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm all for it but...does anyone pay attention to these petitions...

and would you have to be at a certain level -like pre-bronze freeskaters can't compete at Nationals and what test would qualify you? Could you compete if you had passed solo track or standard track or adult or masters (note "Masters" means something different in dance than freestyle) track - which is only partner?

I'm thinking as long as they don't have an adult dance solo track, I'm not sure how far I can get testing solo-- as hard as it was for me to pass the prelim solo compared to partner (I passed both)

joelle (waiting till she's 50 this summer so she can test masters)

Stormy
04-15-2007, 05:05 PM
Food for thought about Solo Dance at ANs. At the Adult Commitee meeting at AN, a lot of talk was about adding a Championship Bronze and Silver event as well. And a lot of talk was about how it would affect scheduling, practice time, more officials, expenses, the whole nine yards. They said adding those events would add another day onto what was an already VERY long competition. And if they were added, perhaps some events would have to be taken away. A lot more is involved to adding on events than I ever realized, and more than most people realize. To add solo dance would being up all the same issues, especially even moreso if it's going to be judged under IJS. I also have no idea of the time, and EXPENSE of running IJS at a competition. That's why the days were so long, and the schedule had already been compacted a lot. To add in Solo Dance, something else would have to likely be taken away, perhaps Interp, perhaps something else. I support the ideas of adding the event, but it's more involved to add that than I think a lot of people realize.

phoenix
04-15-2007, 08:05 PM
A bit OT, but Joelle, I believe a proposal is going to Governing Council this year to add an adult solo test track. Don't give up yet!

Re. solo dance at AN--I think it would be great! It certainly wouldn't need to be done w/ IJS, seeing as the steps/patterns are set. No great advantage to doing that vs. 6.0. And another thing--if there are enough judges, you can double panel the soloists like they do at Lake Placid--one skater starting at each end of the arena. It cuts down on the time involved by half.

jskater49
04-15-2007, 09:24 PM
A bit OT, but Joelle, I believe a proposal is going to Governing Council this year to add an adult solo test track. Don't give up yet!

Yes I saw that in another thread. It makes me very happy - especially since I am going to be 50 in July.

Another reason to skate - turning 50 makes me happy!!

j

cathrl
04-16-2007, 03:27 AM
Here is the UK there's no solo test track - it's the same test whether you skate it with or without a partner. I've no idea whether it's judged the same way, but the certificate doesn't say which you did.

My daughter's taken all her compulsory tests with a partner (her coach) but competes solo - she does those solo championships that a couple of people have mentioned. If you are in the UK, have a child who isn't a jumping bean, and wish kids and mums were a little more friendly at competitions, I heartily recommend it.

Team Arthritis
04-16-2007, 04:26 PM
TreSk8sAZ & I will arm wrestle for you...... (another tall girl here, also need a 6' or more partner)....

LOL Rob you are SUCH a ladies man:twisted:
Lyle

Rob Dean
04-17-2007, 07:13 AM
LOL Rob you are SUCH a ladies man:twisted:
Lyle

That was a year ago. :?? At least I'm still making progress; lessons are dealing with the bronze dances (sometimes) these days.

Rob

http://www.skatewilm.com/ProgramDance/DON_0086.JPG

(link to a picture of me and my backup coach at the social dance Christmas party--need to work on the expression as well as the extension.8O )

Thin-Ice
04-17-2007, 07:46 AM
USFSA decided to get rid of figures because they said there wasn't enough time on the schedule. Now they want to add solo dance events and Bronze and Silver Championships? Where did all this extra time come from or is AN going to turn into a 10-day event? And then which clubs will bid for it?

manleywoman
04-17-2007, 10:40 AM
USFSA decided to get rid of figures because they said there wasn't enough time on the schedule. Now they want to add solo dance events and Bronze and Silver Championships? Where did all this extra time come from or is AN going to turn into a 10-day event? And then which clubs will bid for it?
figures take A LOT longer than any other event.

phoenix
04-17-2007, 10:43 AM
And I think another reason for adding solo dance is to draw greater numbers--a lot more dancers out there than figure skaters.

Team Arthritis
04-17-2007, 11:25 AM
That was a year ago. :?? At least I'm still making progress; lessons are dealing with the bronze dances (sometimes) these days.

Rob

http://www.skatewilm.com/ProgramDance/DON_0086.JPG

(link to a picture of me and my backup coach at the social dance Christmas party--need to work on the expression as well as the extension.8O )

You look great, no death grip or grimace eather. Put that one on the wall!
Lyle

Thin-Ice
04-18-2007, 03:02 AM
figures take A LOT longer than any other event.

Yes, I understand that and there were only about 40 of us who were competing figures at AN... with two events going at once (i.e. Masters and Silver figures on opposite ends of the rink). But figures were phased out in 2000. And if they add Solo Dance and Championship Bronze and Silver, they are back in the same time crunch, especially since it is likely solo dance is likely to be very popular (and I hope it is.. anything to see more Adult Skaters!!!). I actually think the time issue was a way to make figures disappear from USFS... but that's probably just my "conspiracy theory".:lol: