View Full Version : Boots For Wide Feet

rf3ray
04-17-2006, 05:26 AM
Hey Guys, I'm shopping for new Boots, and wondering on everyones opinions with Grafs Galaxy or the WIFA Champions Boots, Any Comments :?: :?: :?: :?:

AW1
04-17-2006, 06:21 AM
HI I also have very wide feet (approx 4 inches flat) and when I was looking for new boots I was told to steer clear of WIFA since they are a very narrow boot. I was told in general that the European brands (WIFA, Risport, Belati) are all made on European lasts which are very narrow.

I know of other people with wide feet who have Grafs, and I have ordered Jacksons which come up to a EE fitting (which is what my feet are)

Maineskate
04-17-2006, 07:30 AM
I just got new Jacksons for my very wide feet (with added bunion width), and I'm very happy with them!

Julie

doubletoe
04-17-2006, 01:56 PM
I have wide feet, especially in the toes. SP Teri boots are shaped perfectly for my feet.

SkatingOnClouds
04-18-2006, 03:24 AM
Yeah, I've also heard that Wifa are very narrow. Only ever tried one pair, and that was years ago, I didn't buy them.

I have Graf Galaxy 7 wide, but even so I had to cut holes in the side to accommodate my bunions (a podiatrist recently described my bunions as "impressive" ).

Depends what level of skating you are at/aiming for. Grafs are pretty comfy straight off, but have a reputation for breaking down fast.

If Jacksons come in EE - which I didn't know, thanks AW1, -they might be a good option.

Karen

AW1
04-18-2006, 04:15 AM
If Jacksons come in EE - which I didn't know, thanks AW1, -they might be a good option.

Karen

Karen, they most certainly do but you usually have to wait 6'ish weeks for them to be made and shipped from Canada to Aus. Definitely worth considering though, as I looked at every single option for my skates and these worked out to be the cheapest - I think my Compeditors are about $499 which is way cheaper than custom skates. That said, I'm only doing skate school and synchro skating, and I may never land any jumps in my entire life.

rf3ray
04-18-2006, 05:39 AM
Has anyoen tried out the WIFA Champions?? just wondering??

Rusty Blades
04-18-2006, 06:33 AM
I have "custom" Jacksons on order right now for my duck feet - $100 more than off-the-shelf boots! I started in Jackson Competitors (10C) and have punched out the toes so much they are unrecognizable. The heel fit is good but they are still too narrow in the toes.

My pro shop talked to Jackson about what they could do and measured my foot (things that could be done by any good pro shop, anywhere). After seeing the measurements Jackson said they could fit me using a "combination last" (C width heel and D width toe) and modify the last to "square out" the toe even more.

We'll have to wait to see how well this works out......

I am getting by in my Jackson 10C and I am willing to wait if it means getting a GOOD fit.

Good luck rf3ray!

flo
04-18-2006, 09:38 AM
Hi,
The front of my feet is wide, and narrow at the back. Harlick and Jackson have been good. I also have customized Jacksons. I'm not as happy with them as with my Harlicks. I think the Jacksons are just too big. I could fit a family of 4 in the toe.

emma
04-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Hey Guys, I'm shopping for new Boots, and wondering on everyones opinions with Grafs Galaxy or the WIFA Champions Boots, Any Comments :?: :?: :?: :?:
I have Grafs and they have fallen apart unlike any other boot i have skated in. They have even ripped down the sides by the hooks. and they broke down in no time . I am only 120 pounds so it was not because i am a heavy skater. This also has happened to other skaters in Grafs. I loved the comfort but Graf has a hugh quality issue that needs to be worked on. Also they have no customer service at all. I tried to call Graf and talk to someone about what was going on and there was no one at all that could help. I am going to do custom Klingbeils i have heard nothing but good things about Klingbeils

skatingpanda
04-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Has anyoen tried out the WIFA Champions?? just wondering??

I have been in WIFAs all my life and went up the ladder of all models. I had the Champions when I was a kid doing single jumps. I've alway loved my WIFAs!

To reply to the comment on the narrow width of these boots, that might be true of the models that are kept in stock by shops, but the manufacturer makes them in 6 different widths:

http://wifa.at/fitting.html

Kristin
04-20-2006, 11:55 AM

I have average width feet with "nightmare" bunions. I have Jacksons since they are heat moldable. I hear that the Graf's are also heat moldable so I would ask a reputable bootfitter (who fits figure skates) what they would recommend for you. Not every boot is for everyone.

pennybeagle
04-20-2006, 10:17 PM
I have very wide feet and I skate in a Jackson Elite size 6D. I am in my second pair now, and I'm pretty sure I will stick with Jacksons for my next pair as well. They have fit much better for me than Reidells (oh, mercy! 8O ) or SP Teris (better, but still a bit snug).

I know this doesn't answer your question about WIFAs or Jacksons, though.

TaBalie
04-20-2006, 10:56 PM
I have wide feet.... I make do with medium shoes (going a size up) in regular life most of the time (but with pinched feet, expecially in cute heels!), but would get W if I could.

I got the regular width in my Grafs and they are pretty wide (or wide enough). MUCH wider that than wide width (C) I got from SP Teri's. So I would say Grafs run a little on the wide side.

AliCat
04-21-2006, 12:10 AM
I've worn Wifas my whole skating life (28 years) but I have very narrow feet. I've always been told that Wifas are a very narrow fit especially in the heel area and that is why they were always a good skate for me.

Not really much help but this is what I know!
:lol:

gt20001
04-21-2006, 07:07 AM
Yeah, I've also heard that Wifa are very narrow. Only ever tried one pair, and that was years ago, I didn't buy them.

I have Graf Galaxy 7 wide, but even so I had to cut holes in the side to accommodate my bunions (a podiatrist recently described my bunions as "impressive" ).

Depends what level of skating you are at/aiming for. Grafs are pretty comfy straight off, but have a reputation for breaking down fast.

Karen

Jacksons come in a EE if you get custom skates they have to be ordered. When i got fitted for my skates i measured a EE as well for jacksons the skate shop told me to try the d width so i wouldnt have to go custom and i did that and punched out the toes and they fit great i dont have any pain in them at all.

AW1
04-21-2006, 07:29 AM
Jacksons come in a EE if you get custom skates they have to be ordered. When i got fitted for my skates i measured a EE as well for jacksons the skate shop told me to try the d width so i wouldnt have to go custom and i did that and punched out the toes and they fit great i dont have any pain in them at all.

This is interesting as I was told my boots would not be custom, but they aren't an "in stock" boot so they have to be made - not exactly the same as a custom but anyhooo.....

SkatingOnClouds
04-22-2006, 03:22 AM
This is interesting as I was told my boots would not be custom, but they aren't an "in stock" boot so they have to be made - not exactly the same as a custom but anyhooo.....

When I was researching boots before buying my galaxies, most of the skate web sites said that the Jackson D fitting has to be ordered especially. I'd never knew they made EE Jacksons until you told me.

vesperholly
04-22-2006, 02:26 PM
I think my Compeditors are about $499 which is way cheaper than custom skates.
The last time I got my custom Klingbeils, they cost $495. The price may have gone up slightly since then, but I think they're around $550 now? Not a significant difference!

AW1
04-22-2006, 08:31 PM
The last time I got my custom Klingbeils, they cost $495. The price may have gone up slightly since then, but I think they're around $550 now? Not a significant difference!

Sorry there is a price difference given that Karen & I are in Australia. $550 US is around $740 in Australia, so yes there is a significant difference!

SkatingOnClouds
04-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Sorry there is a price difference given that Karen & I are in Australia. $550 US is around $740 in Australia, so yes there is a significant difference!
Yeah. To buy Graf Galaxy boots in Australia is like $960 AUD. Add blades, and you're well over $1500 AUD.

Which is why I got my Galaxies from an Ebay clearance, $275 US, still ended up being around $500 AUD once you factor in postage.