View Full Version : A little kid has a ...Question

♥Feel the Rain♥
04-16-2006, 08:49 PM
:sigh:

Anyway...I am 11 and I started skating about two months ago and I am...well, pretty good at it as my parents and other "spectators" say. I can do a camel spin and all the pretty much "basic" spins and land a toe loop. I sometimes have trouble skating backwards but that isn't much of an issue.

So here's my question...I've been asking everyone..should I start practicing with a private coach for competitive skating or not? Is 11 too late to start? 8O

What do you think?

NoVa Sk8r
04-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Too late? Didn't Johnny Weir start skating at age 12? And he's now 3-time US Champ. And you've got one year on him! :P

froggy
04-16-2006, 09:17 PM
definately get a coach and keep practicing, enjoy yourself and have fun!!

doubletoe
04-16-2006, 09:21 PM
If you love to skate, then yes, go for it and see how good you can become! It doesn't matter if you only get up to double jumps and not triples, because even the best skaters in the world will tell you that they skate because they love to skate, not because they love to win competitions (you'll be miserable most of the time if winning is the only thing you love).

♥Feel the Rain♥
04-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Well, usually skaters start at like 4-5 years old or something, don't they?

But thanks for your support! ; )

doubletoe
04-16-2006, 09:34 PM
Well, usually skaters start at like 4-5 years old or something, don't they?

But thanks for your support! ; )

That's true, but even among those who start at 4 or 5, only 1 in 100 ever makes it as far as U.S. Nationals. That's why you have to skate for the love of skating, not for the love of winning! :)

♥Feel the Rain♥
04-16-2006, 09:37 PM
That's true, but even among those who start at 4 or 5, only 1 in 100 ever makes it as far as U.S. Nationals. That's why you have to skate for the love of skating, not for the love of winning! :)

You know you got a point there! Thanx for giving your opinion!!! I might as well reconsider that "too late" thing...=)

beachbabe
04-16-2006, 09:39 PM
there are limits, but if you work had enough you could start at 17 and get to the olympics. Even more so for ice dance, where precision and technique is valued over being able to do a triple axel

Mercedeslove
04-16-2006, 11:57 PM
I'm 27 and just starting out. Go for it!

Also kudos for not using netspeak! So many people your age do that and it annoys me. I can't understand it.

twokidsskatemom
04-17-2006, 01:19 AM
If your goal is to go to the olys, then 11 might be on the late side.This is an honest answer.Yes, weir did start late. He also spent alot time in another sport before skating, and did inline skating before ice skating. He is a VERY rare person.

Most girls who skate and do well did start early. Kwan at age 5, Cohen at age 7.
So it depends on your goals.There are lots of things to do within skating.
You can test, you can do local comps, you can do your clubs ice shows, exibitions. You can get to a level you can coach. You can skate cause you love to skate, no matter what.You can ice dance, but its not as easy as it seems.You can skate as an adult.
My concern would be the fact you can do a camel but not skate backwards.My daughter and most high skaters spend hours and hours and hours doing the boring things. The stroking the correct way, the edges.It takes a long long time to master basic skating. Its not all just tricks. Its not all jumps and spins. Its not a race to see how fast you can learn. Its learning, and then practicing every day. Its grace and poise.Its not falling due to nerves in a comp.Its all not fun and fancy dresses.Its getting up at 6am every day.
That said, 11 isnt old for skating.I dont mean to be a downer. I just see alot of teens who think they want this, and dont realize the work and pain that goes into it.
And its VERY VERY expensive.!!!!
But if your heart is into it, then skate. have fun !!!!!!:)

Lippylulu
04-17-2006, 01:30 AM
When people say they started to skate at a certain age, do they mean the age at which they first put on skates and started skating for fun, or the age they started taking lessons?

twokidsskatemom
04-17-2006, 03:02 AM
When people say they started to skate at a certain age, do they mean the age at which they first put on skates and started skating for fun, or the age they started taking lessons?

Kwan started in lessons at age 5, sister karen was already skating.
Sasha Cohen stated at age 7, but had spend 3 year doing gymnastics and was on level 5 when she stopped.
Weir did start late, but he spend years riding horses competive, and did inline skating. He landed his axle shortly after starting. He really is a rare breed.
Alicia C and her sister started lessons at 3, started competing soon after.
Tiffany Steigler 2006 ice dance olys started lessons at 3 with her brother, competed at age 3 1/2. She skated 19 years with her brother BEFORE making the switch to ice dance.
Kimmie M age 6, in lessons.
Amber Corwin age 5 lessons
Emily Hughes age 3 in lessons.Sister skated.Sarah also started at age 3 in lessons.
Boys seem to start later than girls, for the most part.Unless they have a sister that skates.
Ice dancers have a longer life, but its not just something to do if you cant jump. They all have the best edges stroking and posture of any skaters.
That is why I asked the goal........ I think its great at ANY age.There really is lots to do within skating.
But we live in a place where 6/7 year old have axles, and 8/9 year old have doubles.Kwan was a SENIOR lady at age 13.Going to the olys takes YEARS of hard hard work and parents that are very supportive.

twokidsskatemom
04-17-2006, 03:05 AM

I bet its even higher than 1 in 100.Even getting out of regionals in some places takes alot of work !!

NickiT
04-17-2006, 03:26 AM
It's definitely never too late. Realistically even those who are really good, don't make it to the Olympics, but they can still get a lot out of their skating. My own daughter is 11. She did a couple of toddlers courses when she was 2 and started having the odd private lesson when she was 4 or 5. However it wasn't until she was around 10 that she suddenly showed a huge improvement. I know a lot of kids start very young but I don't think it's necessarily in their favour. The only thing that it's been good for for my kids is that they both know how to fall and rarely get hurt because it's something they've got used to over time.

Nicki

dooobedooo
04-17-2006, 04:18 AM
I'd just add, that while the Olympics are just a dream for many; at your age with ability and with hard work, you should be able to ...
- get an axel, and probably learn up to double jumps
- construct programs and perform them in public
- pass skating tests, possibly up to quite a high level
- enter competitions
- get good enough to skate with an ice show professionally!!!
- qualify as a skating coach!!!
- have a lot of fun!!!
:)

You do need to discuss with your parents:
- the practicalities of coaching costs (how much are they willing to spend? If budget is limited, you can still do well at a recreational level)
- and transport to the rink at 6 am, three or more times a week !!! (But even if you can only get to the rink twice a week, with ability and hard work, you should be able to do the first couple of low level skating tests, which in any case will keep you busy for 18 months or more )

CanAmSk8ter
04-22-2006, 07:40 PM
:sigh:

Anyway...I am 11 and I started skating about two months ago and I am...well, pretty good at it as my parents and other "spectators" say. I can do a camel spin and all the pretty much "basic" spins and land a toe loop. I sometimes have trouble skating backwards but that isn't much of an issue.

So here's my question...I've been asking everyone..should I start practicing with a private coach for competitive skating or not? Is 11 too late to start? 8O

What do you think?

If you're not taking lessons yet and have problems skating backwards, I think there's almost no chance you're actually doing spins and jumps *correctly*. I say that because I started skating at eleven myself, having taught myself a bunch of stuff, and I had to go back and learn the basics- stroking, corssovers, back crossovers, three-turns, mohawks- before I could start relearning all the stuff I had taught myself wrong. Yes, eleven is probably too late to become a national competitor, but there's no reason not to try taking lessons and competing if you think you'd like it. There are competitions for all kinds of people at different ages and levels, not just skaters who are aiming for the national or Olympic team. I've competed at the national championships in synchronized skating (as an alternate), I've competed at the adult nationals for skaters 21 and older, and now I work as a coach at the rink where I started skating thirteen years ago. There are lots of places to go with skating besides the Olympics!