View Full Version : To Help Younger Skaters Understand

dbny
04-16-2006, 07:24 PM
There is an article on the front page of the Sports section of today's NY Times called "Baby Boomers Stay Active, and So Do Their Doctors (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/16/sports/16boomers.html?_r=1&oref=slogin)" that should help you younger skaters understand why some of us old fogies wear knee pads and other protective gear and why it takes us so long to learn new tricks.

My favorite quote: "Boomers are the first generation that grew up exercising, and the first that expects, indeed demands, that they be able to exercise into their 70's," said Dr. Nicholas A. DiNubile, a Philadelphia-area orthopedic surgeon, who coined and trademarked the term boomeritis.

"But evolution doesn't work that quick. Physically, you can't necessarily do at 50 what you did at 25. We've worn out the warranty on some body parts. That's why so many boomers are breaking down. It ought to be called Generation Ouch."

montanarose
04-18-2006, 12:42 AM
I am 59 (as of one week ago) so this subject is close to my heart. When I grew up, in the 1950s and 60s, I did not know ONE SINGLE adult who "exercised." Maybe there was a dad or two who played the odd game of golf a few times a year, but otherwise none of our parents did anything physical -- unless you count the sheer physical labor involved in being a housewife in those days, as most of our moms were. Nobody ran, did yoga or Pilates, went to spinning classes, did the treadmill or elliptical trainer (neither of which even existed then), biked, hiked, played tennis, skied (let alone skated), lifted weights, etc. We are truly the first generation who has made exercise a priority -- or even put it on our "to do" list -- so it is no wonder that this is something of an unexplored territory.

For those of you who might be interested in this subject, check out www.geezerjock.com (they also have a great magazine for the "mature" athlete).

Ellen

VegasGirl
04-18-2006, 06:29 AM
I guess I belong to the younger skaters then... 8-) I'm 40 but I've always exercised in one way or another. During elementary school it was the typical kid stuff (riding bikes, rollerskating, jumping rope, playing dodge ball) but also some beginner track. With 9 I started horseback riding lessons and worked my way up to jumping in horse shows... though I lost interest in competition as I got a bit older, I continued on at a show stable till I was 20. Then I had a major move and just rode recreationally afterwards. I continued riding 6 months into my first pregnancy at 26. The love for that sport is still ingrained in me eventhough I haven't regularly ridden in a few years due to time constraints.
In high school I first was on the school basketball team then switched to volleyball while all along doing track. In vocational school and following prep school I added crosscountry running.

After the big move, that I mentioned already, sports initially had to take a bit of a backburner but I still rode horses and biked. A couple of years later I started taking aerobics and strength exercise, liking it so much that I became an instructor. When step aerobics took over I switched to that. I continued with it through both of my pregnancies and added swimming in the later months.
After my second pregnancy and yet another move (at 28 or 29) I rediscovered running and participated in 5K races regularly. With 32 I decided I needed a bit more of a challenge and started training for my first sprint triathlon... did 2 more after that as well as a duathlon.
Another move ended my triathlon phase and I was back just running but adding rock climbing.
Well and then, at the age of 38, I added figure skating to my list of phsical activities and that's where I'm now at 40... running and skating. :)

No Ouch in sight so who knows what will come next...

dbny
04-18-2006, 12:10 PM
No Ouch in sight so who knows what will come next...

You've been very lucky not to have suffered any injuries so far. Hope your luck continues, and you only get the least of the wear and tear ouchies.

pairman2
04-19-2006, 03:19 PM
Hi
I'm 47 and started skating 10 yrs ago. For me, so far, time goes backwards. When I started skating, I was 30 or 40 lbs heavier. I had chronic back problems and hardly a month went by when I wasn't in the chiropractors or physical theripists office at least twice a month for over 10 years. I was not an athlete when I was younger except in a few wanna-be spurts that never developed. I started skating as an extention of outdoor rollerblading which was the first self motivated excercise program I had ever embarked on during my mid 30's. Figure skating quickly sucked me in, eventually I started competing. I had an early interest in pairs and the more I did it, (as the guy lifting of course), the healthier my back became. I'm a little confused about skaters that seem to break down over time with injuries. Most of my bumps and falls came early and they've decreased roughly in proportion to how far I go and how far I push the envelope. I have a theory that figure skating forces one to correct their posture over time and the resulting benefit is that your body stays more aligned on and off the ice. Back in my physical therapy chapter, I more or less measured my daily well being by how much or how little constant ambient pain I was experiencing through out the day which was often quite a lot. Now the times of misalignment and pain are virtually non existant and usually only have to do with a some sleep position. So I go back to the ice to get re-tuned. So the ice gave me posture, flexibility, vastly improved my muscle tone, weight managment help, improved pulse rate, low blood pressure (today for my annual physical, 103 over 83), energy and last but not least, an almost pain free body. Wow...who would ever want to go back from that!!!!! My partner and I have studied under the Protopopov's in Lake Placid. They are an amazing example of strength and longevity and sort of serve as mentors for skating and the aging process. Perhaps there is only one downside as they expressed to us one afternoon: they told us that it was sad to watch their old friends seemingly age before their eyes while they themselves experienced a constant renewal of strength and health. Someday I will slow down and no one is ever immune from serious injury (from the least to the greatest skater), but until then I feel like skating is the best kept health secret in the world.
L.

lovepairs
04-19-2006, 09:12 PM
I can do far more now, physically, then I could when I was in my earlier thirties. I'm 48 now, 95 lbs lighter then I was back then, and skating pairs with Pairsman 2--so there! Ice=Fountain of Youth :bow:

VegasGirl
04-20-2006, 10:07 AM
You've been very lucky not to have suffered any injuries so far. Hope your luck continues, and you only get the least of the wear and tear ouchies.

Not so much luck but rather common sense in combination with knowing and listening to your body... after all this 40 year old body also comes with a 40 year old brain. :)

samba
04-22-2006, 12:59 AM
After staggering around the office with a bad back, one of the young things in the office said to me "you have to think yourself young and your body will behave in the same way" I just hope he remembers that when he himself is 57 because in my head I'm just 12 but try as I may, my body just wont believe me.

As someone on this forum said (cant remember who) "I'm not young enough to know everything".

skateflo
04-22-2006, 07:16 AM
What the original post and article quotes don't address is that when your 'warranty' on body parts break down, the emotional toll is far worse than the physical - especially when one searched for decades to find an activity enjoyed.

The past 2-1/2 years has had many of my 'parts' break down yet I kept getting back onto the ice - couldn't be without my 'addiction!' Ironically, I was in the best shape of my life during my skating years - weight done, body toned, etc. Now the anger is getting worse at the thought of skating being taken away from me due to wear and tear of those parts that can't be restored enough for skating. But I keep hoping that this latest event (spinal stenosis) can be calmed down enough to get another few years on the ice.

How would you all react if told you could no longer skate!? I know it is a little OT, but there is so much written about how to exercise but nill about the emotional needs during time off for injuries.

For me, it has been two older teenagers who have understoood the most what skating as an adult means and how hard it is...their smiles and encouragment kept me on the ice in spite of pain.

samba
04-22-2006, 09:26 AM
You sound pretty down in the dumps skateflo, I do hope your problem does calm down soon for you, back problems make your whole body suffer and can be very depressing.

To never skate again is something none of us even wants to consider but it sure beats not being here at all, as I write I have a little 3 year old grandaughter watching over me just waiting for me to look away for a second so she can grab the keyboard, moments I wouldnt miss for the world.

I agree that the encouragement of others is always a bonus I too receive encouragement both from the youngsters at the rink and the parents who seem to find it amazing that I even go out there and skate, let alone compete until I tell them that I was up against a 72 year old at the Adult British last year and only just beat her into 2nd place 8O . Few of us are going to be as lucky as her, but I'm sure she must have her fair share of bad days, so I guess we just have to make the most of the good days and take time to smell the roses.

Take care
Grace

jp1andOnly
04-22-2006, 09:55 AM
I have MS and the ability to walk, yet alone skate, could be gone tomorrow. In fact, the ability to walk was gone at 23 and 24. Luckily things have improved and now I'm back walking and I'm skating up a storm, though I'm often doing the human zamboni routine.

Focussing on what you can't do will drive you buggy. The "what if's" play on your mind and bring you down. It's important to focus on the positives and what you CAN do.

You should have seen the inventive things I came up with when getting dressed in the morning took over an hour (I'm stubborn and wouldn't ask for help) and when I had a walker I "blinged" it out. I also took up new and different hobbies that I could do. I think it made me a more well rounded person.

VegasGirl
04-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Focussing on what you can't do will drive you buggy. The "what if's" play on your mind and bring you down. It's important to focus on the positives and what you CAN do.

You are sooo right... wonderful attitude!!!

Which is, btw, why I think it is better to start skating as an adult and then be amazed at how much you can still do at an older age, rather than learning to skate as a kid/teen and then at an older age looking back with regret at what you can't do any more.

jp1andOnly
04-22-2006, 03:07 PM
I skated when I was younger, but more for the social aspect. Trust me, I talked more than skated. As an adult, I work A LOT harder, love it more, and have seen more progress than I could have imagined.

You are sooo right... wonderful attitude!!!

Which is, btw, why I think it is better to start skating as an adult and then be amazed at how much you can still do at an older age, rather than learning to skate as a kid/teen and then at an older age looking back with regret at what you can't do any more.

Mrs Redboots
04-23-2006, 01:46 AM
One of the reasons I skate (although I'm not skating this morning as yet again a virus has laid me low :x :cry: :( :cry: ) is to be able to keep going.

My first coach - who must have been in her 50s or 60s, but she looked 25 - told me that she had a pupil once whose doctors had recommended he take up skating to help his arthritis. He skated regularly, and within a few months had so improved that he was able to discard his walking-stick, and had a whole new lease of life. And then something happened in his family and he had to stop skating - and within a month he was in a wheelchair.

samba
04-23-2006, 04:07 AM
One of the reasons I skate (although I'm not skating this morning as yet again a virus has laid me low :x :cry: :( :cry: ) is to be able to keep going.

Get well soon Annabel, I will PM you later after I have taken grandaughter to Activity World, hopefully she should be worn out enough to give us a bit of peace, although it will probably be us that are worn out.

My first coach - who must have been in her 50s or 60s, but she looked 25 - told me that she had a pupil once whose doctors had recommended he take up skating to help his arthritis. He skated regularly, and within a few months had so improved that he was able to discard his walking-stick, and had a whole new lease of life. And then something happened in his family and he had to stop skating - and within a month he was in a wheelchair.
We have one of them at our rink, she everyone's inspiration, in her 70's, the doc told her a long time ago that if she hadnt kept up the skating she would be in a similiar position, just had a toe joint op, now needs a replacement hip but there's no stopping her.

jP1andOnly, you are great!!