View Full Version : Best skating coaches in NJ for adults

newskaker5
04-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Ok I am going to be doing privates. I want to pick a coach who works with adults well and is a really good coach for freestyle skating. I live in Norther NJ. NYC would be a bit too far to reasonable travel to for lessons weekly but doable if necessary. Any suggestions of coaches?

FrankR
04-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Ok I am going to be doing privates. I want to pick a coach who works with adults well and is a really good coach for freestyle skating. I live in Norther NJ. NYC would be a bit too far to reasonable travel to for lessons weekly but doable if necessary. Any suggestions of coaches?

Hey there,

I'm very happy with my coaches. However, they are both pretty booked at the moment and I'm not sure if they have any openings. I will check with them and get back to you if you wish. However, in the interim, if you would be interested in skating at the Ice House in Hackensack (not sure if that's close to you in distance) then I recommend that you visit the following website.

http://www.icehousenj.com

There you will find contact information for Craig Maurizi who is the director of the skating school there. Talk to him and see who he recommends.

Best of luck,

Frank

renatele
04-12-2006, 02:54 PM

Where do you skate? (or, which area do you live in?). I skate mostly at Floyd Fall @ Montclair University (http://www.floydhallarena.com), and can give several recommendations if that rink is convenient for you.

newskaker5
04-12-2006, 03:24 PM
I am currenty going to a rink in Morristown. I am probably equal distance from any Morris/Passaic/Bergen rink. I go to the Morristown rink cause the group classes work best with my scheudle there. But I have looked at icehouse, ice vault in Wayne, Floyd, etc.

I really want to see how far I can go in skating and want very much to work with a coach that likes to teach adults and will push me to acheive my best. I like my instructor in Morristown, I just dont know anyone in the skating world to ask for recommendations, etc as to who would be a good choice as an adult

TimDavidSkate
04-12-2006, 03:39 PM
The best coach I ever had was Leslie Soderberg. Former US Ice dancer competitor. She teaches in Montclair, West Orange, and I dont know where else. She is good with details, position, and really pushes you to your max.

Isk8NYC
04-12-2006, 04:01 PM
Beverly Kubick (sp?) coached several of my competitors back in the day.
She was on staff at Mennan/Crystal Blades skating club, but I haven't talked to her in about a year or so. She's not pushy, but her adult skaters strove to do well in competitions.

If you have access to Montclair, Deanna Crisso-Sroka coaches at the College rink. I'm not sure if she coaches adults; when we worked together it was a new rink and she only had children. If she doesn't I'm sure she can recommend someone.

I take it your current instructor doesn't teach privates or adults?

renatele
04-12-2006, 04:18 PM
had to delete some things...

auntlala3
04-13-2006, 08:33 AM
Any one have recomendations for coaches in the Central NJ area? I am thinkng aout trying to do privates twice a month or so, but I am not sure who to go to and where.

Right now I skate at the Woodbridge Community Center. But recently I tried the Rink at Wall Sports Arena. 10 people there on Monday for the Public Session at 7:30, it was great!!!

LWalsh
04-13-2006, 07:53 PM
I'll answer two post at once...

I have a coach who teaches both at Sport O Rama in NY (an easy drive from North Jersey) and at Wall Sports Arena. She is highly qualified and really likes to teach adults. I have taken lessons from her for 5 years now. We've gone to Adult Sectionals and Nationals and she's really been wonderful. PM me for more details if you are interested.

Lara