View Full Version : Quick question about camels

Shinn-Reika
04-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Should I keep my hips open or closed.

Some people say its best to learn closed, but it seems that open works better. Any thoughts on this?

Btw it seems I have a hard time getting into position, which is odd since I've been told I had really good spirals (for a guy I suppose). Any thoughts on this as well?

Skate@Delaware
04-11-2006, 10:49 PM
When you 'splain it...please tell me what it means to have the hips open or closed.

I was working on camels and was told to enter by going right into the spiral position....and whip my left arm around quickly (I spin ccw). Am I doing it right? I tend to pitch onto my toepick :frus:

Tinkerbell
04-12-2006, 06:24 AM
When you 'splain it...please tell me what it means to have the hips open or closed.

A closed hip, as in ballet, I assume, would be top of the thigh pointed at the ground. Whereas an open hip would point the inside of the leg slightly out and away from the standing leg--turned out.

Correct?

Sorry. I don't have anything actually helpful to add, other than that. Not there yet.

Debbie S
04-12-2006, 08:01 AM
I was working on camels and was told to enter by going right into the spiral position....and whip my left arm around quickly (I spin ccw). Am I doing it right? I tend to pitch onto my toepick :frus:Be careful to step into the spin (on LFO) with your weight on the heel. As you spin, your weight will shift toward the ball of the foot, so if you're not on the heel as you enter the spin, your weight will shift onto the toepick.

I do the same thing, also I lean too far inside and fall out of it early - actually, I sort of gave up on the camel last spring and have been concentrating on improving my backspin, sit, and scratch. But I'm planning/hoping to revisit the camel soon.

Mrs Redboots
04-12-2006, 09:18 AM
I do the same thing, also I lean too far inside and fall out of it early - actually, I sort of gave up on the camel last spring and have been concentrating on improving my backspin, sit, and scratch. But I'm planning/hoping to revisit the camel soon.So does my husband, he was having an awful time of it this morning, couldn't stay off his toe for love nor money! Will forward him the link to this thread....

flo
04-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Hi,
It should be closed. When you feel comfy with this and open is easy for you, try a layover. I have really open hips, and a closed position in a back camel is always a struggle - so I'm also trying to do a layover.

passion
04-12-2006, 05:20 PM
I don't know what you mean by open hips or closed hips, so I can't anser that question directly. However, I can tell you that as you go into the spin as you step forwards, you should "lock" your free hip into your joint. If it is not locked inot position, your free leg may take you off balance and/or your hips will not be level going in.

coskater64
04-12-2006, 08:22 PM
Your hips should be closed, open you can usually get you leg higher but the balance my be difficult for some. It depends on your hips, I always prefer a closed hip, or square hips both facing down like your spirals should be, I think others have said the same.

skaternum
04-12-2006, 09:22 PM
It can be done either way. What did your coach say?

Skate@Delaware
04-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Ok, for the last lesson of the season, we hit on camels and this is what I learned:
1-the right arm (I spin CCW) "pushes" past the face and holds there; the body swings around and will catch up
2-the spinning leg is bent and doesn't rise up (with the weight on the heel, you were right Debbie) until you've come around again
3-the free leg gets right into position...no hesitation

With all this, I did a 2 revolution camel!

ps-don't ask me which position my hips were in-I was sooo busy paying attention to everything else, I forgot to notice...

lskater
04-13-2006, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure about hip position. Even so, I'm not sure I could totally control where my hips are at any certain point. I had a lot of trouble with this spin until I focused more on my arms. For me, keeping my arms REALLY strong helps me in the camel spin. In fact, now I concentrate more on my arms than in my legs. I keep my arms in spiral position all the way into the spin and I can usually get a good 6-7 rotations, sometimes more. So I think about my arms "lifting" me into the spin. When the spin doesn't work, it's usually because I've let my arms go. I'm doing catch-foot camels now......