View Full Version : 2006 Hackensack camp

Scarlett
04-11-2006, 05:06 PM
The information for the hackensack camp has been posted to their website. I would post a link but I don't know how. Anywho, this year they have added a couple of tracks and there is a new recreational track. I'm thinking it would be fun but since I am going to pay for hotel, travel, etc., I was torn on not getting the maximum possible ice time. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Joan
04-11-2006, 05:25 PM
The information for the hackensack camp has been posted to their website. I would be post a link but I don't know how. Anywho, this year they have added a couple of tracks and there is a new recreational track. I'm thinking it would be fun but since I am going to pay for hotel, travel, etc., I was torn on not getting the maximum possible ice time. I would like to hear your thoughts on it.

Here is the link

http://www.icehousenj.com/Docs/FigSkatingAdultCamp06.pdf

Joan
04-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Wow - $75 per 30 min. private lesson, in addition to the $250 or $300 registration plus whatever travel, housing and food come to.

icecatepairs
04-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Hi everyone,
Icehouse is home to me and frank R. so if there is anything we can do to help and answer any questions about the camp or the area feel free to let us know. i did the singles track for 2 years, and did the pairs track last year. i will do pairs again this year with my neew partner 2salcow. it looks like they have really improved the camp based on peoples feedback from last year..especially the pairs..(thanks andrea cooper for all your work. ) hope to see you all there! its a lot of bang for the buck dollar to dollar and worth it!

cecealias
04-11-2006, 10:19 PM
The camp sounds good but rather expensive for just 3 days for people cross country. Thanks for the info though.

mdvask8r
04-11-2006, 11:19 PM
I went to the first one a few years ago -- it was great, and I'm sure it has only gotten even better.
Seems pretty reasonable to me. It looks like you'll get around 10 - 12 hours of instruction. That breaks down to about $25 - $30 per hour. Less than 1/2 of the average private coach's rate. About the cost of most group lessons. Plus you get to share it all with the greatest skaters . . . adult skaters.

The private lessons are expensive, but that's totally optional -- does anyone know if there is an additional ice fee or is that included in the $75 lesson fee?

newskaker5
04-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Ok - i read the brochure and it says for all levels beginner thru elite. Now Im a beginner but I would like to be competitive in the near future. Is the competitive track not for beginners? Im ISI gamma/delta level for the most part would I be TOO beginner? Anyone go to a camp at this level? Im local so it wouldnt be a commute so I would love to go. Thanks!

jazzpants
04-12-2006, 01:27 AM
I would love to come but I have to save up for it before I could go... and I unfortunately can't afford to fly cross country until around Christmas time when I'm visiting the in-laws again. (Thank God I just got a merit raise, so I CAN afford to go to NYC/Hackensack this year!!!) :cry:

If you are taking private lesson, I recommend the Moves Guru, Edward Van Campen. He is nit-picky, but I like his militaristic approach. (I hope to get a lesson from him again when I come back this Christmas... have to work on prelim alt 3's and prelim spirals after Bronze Moves and I sure could use the help!!!)

And I know they have buffet lunch there, but definitely stop off at White Manor (aka White Manna) for their hamburgers too. Worth blowing your diet for and very cheap! I'm drooling just thinking about it! YUM YUM!!! :yum: (I think it's on River St... almost across the street from the McD's.)

FrankR
04-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Ok - i read the brochure and it says for all levels beginner thru elite. Now Im a beginner but I would like to be competitive in the near future. Is the competitive track not for beginners? Im ISI gamma/delta level for the most part would I be TOO beginner? Anyone go to a camp at this level? Im local so it wouldnt be a commute so I would love to go. Thanks!

Hi there,

In previous years, when there was only one singles track, they sub-divided that track into about seven or eight groups based on test level and what jumps you were working on, etc. I imagine that both the recreational and competitive tracks will be sub-divided in a similar fashion this year. So you should still be able to enroll in the competitive track and work on skills that are appropriate for your current level.

Again, there is nobody that is too beginner for this camp. I have had friends come and participate in the camp that are still doing group basic skills lessons and they had a blast. If it is within your means and you have an interest I do encourage any and all to enroll. If you do, I'll see you there! I typically work registration on the first night. :D

Take care,

Frank

FrankR
04-12-2006, 08:00 AM
The private lessons are expensive, but that's totally optional -- does anyone know if there is an additional ice fee or is that included in the $75 lesson fee?

I'm not sure about this. I'll check with Craig Maurizi and get back to you here.

Take care,

Frank

sue123
04-12-2006, 08:36 AM
I'm thinking about going, but I don't know if I have any money left after my trip to Europe. Anyone know how far it is to drive from Brooklyn? Or how much the hotel costs? Sounds like it would be fun.

FallDownGoBoom
04-13-2006, 05:38 PM
I just sent my registration. I'm new to lessons -- just at the Adult 3-4 level -- and wasn't aware of the camp before I saw this forum. So thanks for spreading the word. I work in Hackensack, so I can steer you toward accommodations and food. I'll give you some info now and visit the thread now and then to see what else I can add.

Ice House is about 20 minutes from the George Washington Bridge, about 40 from the Lincoln. Nearby, in Teaneck, is the Marriott. On the Hackensack border is the Oritani, which I'd skip. And for the love of God, avoid any of the no-tell motels on Route 46 in Saddle Brook, Lodi, South Hackensack and Little Ferry.

As for the camp, I opted for a private session with Edward. All aboard the bruise train! Next stop: Ice packs followed by Advil.

I'm new, by the way. Hi!

jazzpants
04-13-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm thinking about going, but I don't know if I have any money left after my trip to Europe. Anyone know how far it is to drive from Brooklyn? Or how much the hotel costs? Sounds like it would be fun.If you believe the Yahoo Maps, it's 49 minutes (http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newaddr=&taddr=111+Midtown+Bridge+Approach&csz=BROOKLYN%2C+NY&country=us&tcsz=Hackensack%2C+NJ&tcountry=us&oerr=3013) to get there. No need for hotels, I think...

I know for me it took a couple of hours by NJ Transit bus and train to get there... now coming BACK.... :roll: (Let's just say this Christmas, I'm renting a car for my Hackensack trip. I STRONGLY advise against taking public transit unless you have a LOT of time to kill b/c of the hassles of the return trip.) :twisted:

Hi, FallDownGoBoom! LOVE the handle! LOL!!! :lol:

Scarlett
04-13-2006, 08:18 PM
For you NY/NJ folks, the prices at the suggested hotel are a little steep for me. (I'm still in school.) Do you have any suggestions for reasonably priced hotels in the area? Or is there no such thing as a reasonably priced hotel in NY/NJ?

sue123
04-13-2006, 08:28 PM
If you believe the Yahoo Maps, it's 49 minutes (http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newaddr=&taddr=111+Midtown+Bridge+Approach&csz=BROOKLYN%2C+NY&country=us&tcsz=Hackensack%2C+NJ&tcountry=us&oerr=3013) to get there. No need for hotels, I think...

I know for me it took a couple of hours by NJ Transit bus and train to get there... now coming BACK.... :roll: (Let's just say this Christmas, I'm renting a car for my Hackensack trip. I STRONGLY advise against taking public transit unless you have a LOT of time to kill b/c of the hassles of the return trip.) :twisted:

THanks for that, I wasn't sure even of the address of Ice House. I just entered my address in Brooklyn, and Yahoo Maps is telling me it's 59 minutes. OF course, that assuming there is no traffic (yea right). An hour w/o traffic is longer than I liike driving, honestly. I'm not really a fan of driving if all truth be told. I guess I'll just save the money and take ssome extra lessons from my coach.

icecatepairs
04-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi Again,
sounds like there is some interest as well as concern over the prices. I understand it is costly whenever we travel for skating. For a lot of people coming off of dallas this is a tough time. I think that the camp is definitly worth it. I go every year and look foward to it , especially with the addition of the pairs track.

some ways of saving money as little help as it may or not be...i never do the buffet...its expensive for lunch on the go. i actually always pack something that works for me as a type of lunch i would eat during a long workout. there are plenty of places right off of midtown bridge approach to grab a quick bite.

agreed private lessons are expensive but its nice that they are optional for those who want to make it a 3 day event. i think a session is 12 dollars without an ice card, but call the rink to ask. the sessions are 45 minutes. i am not sure becasue i have a punch card.

as far as accomodations , i think that when you are talking about newyork hotels , if you are looking over the gw, yes you are close to or in the city and thye are outragous. but i think if you are looking into toens in jersey off the garden state then you might find them cheaper. again since i live there i don't stay there> I would just go on travelocity and check all hotels in a certain radius. i travel a lot and believe me there is always something out there. at the last 2 competitions, frank R and i found hotels within 5 minutes of the rink for half the price. then i call the hotel to book and demand they give me the listed internet price claining false advertising if they don't. i always get it. then tell them after they quote you that you have aaa. then the discount has to come off the total. if you find an area and are not sure baout it email or pm one of us locals and we'll evaluate it. if you are from real far and are looking for something within a 1/2 hour try monsey new york. its the first exit on the thruway off the garden state. depends how far you want to travel. hope to see you all there..