View Full Version : Ice Skates

Ice_Fairy
04-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Hi, im in grade 3 of learn to skate classes in nottingham and i wanted to get some of my own skates. which are the best for a small budget? thank u

TashaKat
04-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Hiya :)

Whatever fits your feet :)

Although I detest the higher Risports they do a very good 'basic' boot. Wifa are also nice boots as are Jacksons.

The best thing to do is to try on several different makes and see what feels comfortable to you.

DON'T buy boots which have the blades riveted on. You won't be able to move them if you pronate and you won't be able to upgrade your blade or move your blade onto another boot.

DON'T buy boots that are too advanced for you. If they're too 'strong' for you they'll not only hurt like hell but you'll never break them in. You need to be able to flex your ankles to learn the old knee bend, concrete boots won't be doing you any favours!

Have a look around for second hand boots. Make sure that they have enough 'life' left in them (ask your coach) but you can get some good bargains this way, you don't get the same bargains when you're looking for higher level boots unfortunately :(

Speak to you coach and see what they recommend.

Above all good luck and enjoy :) and let us know how your skating is coming along.

skatingdoris
04-11-2006, 12:57 PM
when i took up skating last year i brought Risport rf4s, these are their basic boots that come with a set blade for about £80. i have found them very comfortable, easy to break in and they still provide me with plenty of support (i'm now working on flips and lutzes) i have just upgraded the blade on them to mk proffesionals and am hoping that they will last me at least another year:)

definatly find a good skate dealer who knows what there doing (ask around at your rink) so that you don't end up in the wrong size. the last time i brought skates at my rink shop they sold me a size 8, i'm now skating in a size 5!!!!

try plenty of boots on, but if you find that the risports fit you than i'd recommend them as a good starting boot that will last you and are widely available/ used in the UK

NickiT
04-11-2006, 04:09 PM
As others have said, the Risport RF4s are a good beginners boot which are pretty popular here in the UK.

Nicki