View Full Version : New Blades?

skatechat
04-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Hello folks,

I was a competitive skater up until college and since then I've been on and off the ice until recently. I'm now back pretty consistently and have come to the point where I deperately need new blades.

I love my gold seals and want to stick with them, but does anyone know if the blade design has changed significantly over the past 10 years?

Also - K-picks were just coming out towards the end of my competitive life so I never got into them... they had a bit of a stigma then. Now I'm seeing all sorts of seemingly new and cool technology. Any feedback on the k-pick now and the parabolic blades in particular? Effect on spins and jumps alike?

Thanks!

sunshinepointe
04-11-2006, 10:32 AM
Can't speak for k-picks, but I've used regular blades, then switched to parabolics and now I've switched back and I haven't noticed a bit of difference. Some people swear by k-pick/parabolics but from my experience the difference is negligible and if anything is purely psychological. That being said I'm a lower level skater so how it affects higher level jumps and spins I can't answer. Overall it seems like there is no clear cut answer based on all of the info I've gathered...some people love em, some people like me don't notice a change at all.

Isk8NYC
04-11-2006, 11:00 AM
I compared my Gold Seals from 15 years ago to the ones I bought three years ago. Essentially, they're the same but the newer ones are much more tapered from plate to edge than the old ones. (At first, I actually thought they were parabolics, but my new blades don't have that printed on them.) Guess it makes them lighter. Sole plate and blade profile are the same. They feel the same as my old ones on spins and jumps - it's me who has changed. LOL

Are you skating at the same level that you were pre-College? If not, you could probably use a pair of Coronation Aces (or similar) and save yourself some money.

No comments on the K-Pick or Parabolics. Never used them.

techskater
04-11-2006, 03:57 PM
I love my Phantom Parabolics. Helped my camel hook, back camel hook, brackets, counters, etc.

K Picks are more for doubles and triples

skatechat
04-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Hmmm... this was all really helpful. I've gotten back my jump spins and my axel/lower end doubles, but don't expect to do anything more than that. I'm having a lot of trouble centering my spins and I'm not sure if its me (most likely) or the fact that my blades are basically totally run down at the ball of my foot and into my toe pick. um... probably me. :)

Sounds like k-pick are unnecessary for me but I'm still really interested in hearing about other people's parabolic experience. I'll check out the coronation Ace blades as well.

SDFanatic
04-11-2006, 08:45 PM
K picks are good when you are doing more then singles, more surface area means less divoting of the ice and better height.

Some people swear by their parabolics, other then expense, I haven't heard anything bad about them.

Cornation Ace's are a good all around blade, if you want somthing faster, go with a comet. Some people told me they had problems spinning on ace's and had better luck when they switched to Visions.

Steven

Paulie86
04-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Cornation Ace's are a good all around blade, if you want somthing faster, go with a comet. Some people told me they had problems spinning on ace's and had better luck when they switched to Visions.

Steven

Do you know what kind of problems exactly people have had spinning in ace's. I have aces and also have trouble spinning, so this might be able to help me. Thanks
:)

cecealias
04-11-2006, 10:33 PM
I have gold stars and love'm. When I got a new pair of these blades a few years back my spins suddenly sped up really fast and centered. I thought i was going to hurl after the first few. lol.

SDFanatic
04-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Do you know what kind of problems exactly people have had spinning in ace's. I have aces and also have trouble spinning, so this might be able to help me. Thanks
:)

My one coach told me she just couldn't find the sweet spot, even though the ace and the vision have the same 7' rocker, maybe it's placed differently?

I originally started with MK2000 and then to ace's, and when I got my new boots, I put those back on. While I'm not an adept spinner yet, I think I will be ok with them, most of my problems stem from body position.

I've only skated twice on my new boots and blades and for the first time in all my attempts in spinning, I can feel the edge.

Steven

Paulie86
04-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks Steven. I agree that it is probably foot/body position. Something that is taking me a while to correct.

flying~camel
04-12-2006, 10:23 AM
I'm planning on getting new boots and blades this summer.

Right now, I'm using (almost flat) Coronation Comet, but I'm thinking of switching to either Coronation Ace or Vision, since they have a rounder radius, and I'm also leaning more towards getting the parabolic option (I could use the help with my spins and footwork, even if it is psychological!).

SDFanatic
04-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Thanks Steven. I agree that it is probably foot/body position. Something that is taking me a while to correct.

Your welcome, but I caution that it may not be entirely your foot/body position.

I fought with spins for a long time only to find out the sole on my left boot was not level. After I had it leveled and adjusted, I still had some problems with it and upon the advice of other pro shops outside my area, I bought new boots and blades.

My old boots were SP-Teris and my new ones are Klingbeils and odly enough, my new blades are 1" longer then my old ones.

I was hounded on my lesson last week for having a "hunchback" After I straightened up a bit and dropped my shoulders I felt the edge I needed to be on. Something I only ever felt once with my old boots and blades, hopefully I can repeat this on my next lesson and that it's not a one time deal again.

I'm not saying it is not your foot/body position, but if a coach is correcting you and it's still ellusive, it may be a blade/boot problem.

If all else fails, try to find another pro shop or coach who is more versed, one former skater said I was falling inside on my left foot, moving the blade and adding wedges locally didn't help. The first words out of Johns (Ask Mr. Edge) mouth in Chicago was "your soles not level"

Seek all the advice you can and go from there.

Steven

Paulie86
04-14-2006, 05:32 AM
Ok thanks. I'll see how i go with my spins over the next few weeks, and if they don't improve, I'll bring that up with my coach. :P