View Full Version : Spring Flowers or Snow Drifts? April 10 to 16

Rusty Blades
04-10-2006, 09:18 PM
[In this part of the country we can get either, both in the SAME DAY!]

Snow Drift! NOT in a good mood tonight! The ice was full of crazy kids going every which way with no regard to anyone else. In 2 hours I got maybe 20 minutes of practice! Came off the ice to find our dressing room taken over by a hockey team (who shouldn't have been in there) and sat there like bumps on a log, forcing us to go find some other place to change. I do not tolerate rudness well! I can't believe I actually held my tongue and didn't throw them out!

Spring Flowers It was a nice warm day.

mikawendy
04-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Snow Drift--Turned up at the rink on Saturday morning to find that the freestyle schedule had changed and the only session I could stay for didn't exist any more. (The week before, the rink had had a competition on Saturday that I didn't attend, so I had missed the notices of the change.) Luckily the skating director kindly let me skate on the freestyle group lesson ice so that my trip wasn't entirely in vain. (And though the ice hadn't been cut in 2 hours of group lessons, I was still able to manage some centered sit spins)

Another snow drift--spent many hours this weekend finishing up the taxes. The taxes didn't take long, it was all the preliminary calculations needed to enter info into the software!

Spring Flowers--On Sunday, I learned how to do a developpe spiral--fun but very hard!

Also, finished with the taxes and also my computer printing problems.

jazzpants
04-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Snow Drifts:

It's Spring Break! Nuf said. :x (Can't do much moves with a bunch of kids, hockey guys and others...) Even FS sessionare gonna be a BEAR this week!!! However...Spring Flowers:

I did get some good work done though. And I think I'm starting to fix my RFO3's now. We'll see if it works on my lesson today! :roll: LFO3's still intacted, strong and fast! But let's see if I got enough edge in there.
I landed a couple of flips.
Finally met another fellow skater and her hubby from the skating newsgroup. This gal is from Singapore and is a pretty good skater who's on her doubles and her spins are pretty decent. (Annabel, I think you know who I'm talking about since she has met you.) ;)
Best one...my coaches are working on my getting a judge's critique on my Bronze Moves... from none other than the judge that failed me TWICE on the move. I want to see if I'm on the right track now or am I deluding myself from thinking I'll pass it easily in June. :P Should be interesting what comments I get from him this time.

Mrs Redboots
04-11-2006, 07:06 AM
Finally met another fellow skater and her hubby from the skating newsgroup. This gal is from Singapore and is a pretty good skater who's on her doubles and her spins are pretty decent. (Annabel, I think you know who I'm talking about since she has met you.) ;)She's stayed with me! All the Mountain Cup people know her, and her (now) husband, too.

As for me:

Snowdrifts: Sir forgot his skates this morning, and had to go back for them! He made it on to the ice in time for our lesson, though, but we had only just warmed up together before it started - and at that, the coach was late. We were playing with hand-in-hand back crossovers when he arrived, but as Husband does cross strokes, not proper crossovers, I end up going way faster than him, so it was not a success.

By this time (08:00) the rink had filled up - there was nobody under 50 on the ice when we arrived at 07:15! Pity it didn't stay that way.

Worked on Dutch Waltz and Rhythm Blues, both of which he said we were out of time on - American music, what does he expect? We don't go out of time nearly so often with the proper music, but this one we have to concentrate all the time.

Then we did our free dance, to the music, and he was not complimentary.... don't blame him, I suppose. Trouble is, my left blade is so blunt, I simply can't do the 3-turn to time. And our spin is another one that has been eaten by the Evil Spin-Eating Monster that's haunting our rink just now. We did a better run-through after our lesson, but Sir's shoulders were far too stiff, even when he ran through his free programme.

Spring Flowers: Did some half-decent field moves - getting much faster on the back cross-rolls. Cross-cuts not too bad, either. And ran through my artistic a couple of times, also okay except the [expletive deleted] spin.

Rob Dean
04-11-2006, 07:09 AM
I don't usually post in these either, but with our first test* coming up this Friday, skating is much on my mind...

Snow drifts: I had two FS sessions penciled in my calendar for yesterday, but one was rescheduled to a higher level due to a hinge boot demo, so my lesson got squeezed in before I was really warmed up. It's been interesting to discover just what mental state is ideal for dance--can't do it if I'm not thinking, but thinking too much seems to leave me like the centipede asked how he can walk with all those legs...:( Yesterday it wasn't there, so today's task is to see if I can get one last lesson in before the test.
I also got in practice at 0550 this morning, since my son was meeting his coach for a lesson. I'm not sure that one should skate just because one is at the rink...it'd take a week or two of getting up for that session to make it routine and be awake.

Spring Flowers: Well, at least it's skating. :)

*Pre-pre moves and FS for him; couple of pre dances for me. Just keeping him company, you know...

Skate@Delaware
04-11-2006, 07:35 AM
Spring Flowers--On Sunday, I learned how to do a developpe spiral--fun but very hard!
What is that????

Spring Flowers: Ice rink closes on Saturday!!! Never thought I'd be soo glad! I'm so tired right now.

Snow Drifts: Show rehearsals every night this week, dress rehearsal on Thursday, show on Friday, TWO shows on Saturday....did I mention I was tired?????

It's ok, I have summer plans for skating. I just need a break!8-) (and I'm gonna swap out my blades and get used to ROCKIN"-maybe it will help my sit spins-wouldn't that be a kicker if I can sitspin on my new blades???)

quarkiki2
04-11-2006, 08:40 AM
What is that????

I know that in ballet a developpe is when an extension "develops" -- it starts with a plie (bend knees), then the working leg is lifted, knee first, as high as one can, then the working leg is straightened to full extension and the supporting leg (skating leg) straightens, too. Sound right?

auntlala3
04-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Spring Flowers - Since the rink that I usually go to does not have evening open sessions during the week, I found one about 30 minutes from my house that does. Last night there were maybe 10 people total on the ice. it was great. In my lesson on Saturday we started working on 3-turns, I am really trying to work them out. Balance, even though I am a dancer, is not something I have ever really had so this is a real challenge for me. But I felt like they are really coming together. There were a couple there that felt amazing.

Snow Drifts - While 3 turns were going great for me on the right, on the left was another story altogehter. For some reason, anything on the left and me do not get along, but I keep plugging away. I am also still working on crossovers. I did one that felt great, but I have no idea what I did and have not been able to duplicate it. But it felt great when I did it.

I think I have figured out part of my problem with things. My ankles turn in so going to an outside edge takes some real concentration and it is not the most comfortable thing. But I keep trucking along. Also I am finding that my foot is cramping up big time. I put arch supports in my skates thinking it was that, but they are still cramping. I think i have figured it out though. Most of the time I am gripping the insides of my skates with my toes, do that long enough and your foot cramps. I need to stop that - LOL

Rusty Blades
04-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Most of the time I am gripping the insides of my skates with my toes, do that long enough and your foot cramps. I need to stop that - LOL

Working on my backward swizzles and "half-swizzles" I find myself doing that to, but only with my left foot! It's like my toes are trying to get a grip on the ice - LOL! I have to consciously THINK "Relax the toes!" and make an effort to FEEL the whole sole of the boot.

I wonder if there are toenail scratches on the inside of my left boot? :??

sue123
04-11-2006, 10:03 AM
Snow Drifts: My lesson was a little later than normal today because i'm on spring break so I didn't have to rush out the rink to get to class, and my coach needed to get her kids to the sitter, which isn't the snow drift. I got to the rink when the session started to warm up. Some woman was skating behind me, copying everything I was doing, although she's nowhere near being ready to do swing rolls or cross steps because she can't even glide on one foot. I know we all need to start somewhere, and I'm not that good myself, but she was right behind me, and tripping over herself and I was afraid she was going to fall on top of me. Maybe I'm just being mean, but shouldn't you be able to glide on one foot before you try doing swing rolls and cross steps?

Extra snow drift: my spins have vanished into thin air. I have absolutely no idea where they went. On Friday, they were fine, today, couldn't do a scratch if my life depended on it. My coach had me going back to a one foot spin from a standstill, and I still couldn't do that. Anybody know where they went?

Spring Flowers: I finally understand alternating 3 turns. My coach actually drew a little diagram with arrows and all this stuff, because I just couldn't understand how you're supposed to be able to step and whatnot, so I kind of got it. They're not great, or passing standard by any means, but it's coming. Inside alt. 3's are better, I was able to get halfway without stopping, which I'll take for now.

My coach also complimented my stroking, which was a first. I did my stroking while she was in a lesson before me, and she said she saw me doing some nice extension and toe point. When she's not watching, I do everything great.

I also finally switched the laces on my boot, so now they're finally long enough to tie a bow. And because this was my first lesson since i got my new skates, I finally got my coach to check the alignment, so now i can get my blades permenantly mounted.

phoenix
04-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Snow Drifts: Between 2 trips and 2 rounds of illness, I've been more or less off the ice for a good month! Have lost all my stamina/strength/endurance. Lesson tomorrow will be scarey! But I'm soooo glad to be back to my normal schedule.

Spring Flowers:
I've made the rash decision to do the pre-gold compulsories at our pro-am in June, which will be the Blues & Kilian. Blues is a good dance for me, so that part will be fun, & this will give me a looming deadline to suck it up & get the Kilian up to speed or else! It really has become fairly comfortable (without music)--now I just have to get the foot speed going--I lose it through the choctaw section, drop 2 beats, then pick it back up through the end pattern! I'm also going to see if my coach will do a short OD w/ me--probably he can't if everyone is asking him that, so we'll see. I could instead do a solo OD, which would also be fun & probably good for me.

Then--BIG news: yesterday I went ahead & dumped my partner--turns out he was thinking the same thing! (Not a big surprise, give his level of commitment) So we parted mutually, everyone's still friendly & happy, so I'm very relieved & extra happy to be back on my own! Just like being in a relationship--having a partner doesn't necessarily mean all is therefore right with the world. It's so hard to find a good match all around for a skating partner--I understand that much more clearly now.

I'm also seriously thinking about the Lake Placid Dance Competition in August.....would I dare to skate there? They have a solo CD/OD event this year, which I'd love to try---though I'd have to do a European for the CD--ugh! Would I look ridiculous? Would people point and laugh? I'd be skating with the Novice kids....mostly mid-teen age, 13-16-ish. (I'm 38 :oops: )

Debbie S
04-11-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm also seriously thinking about the Lake Placid Dance Competition in August.....would I dare to skate there? They have a solo CD/OD event this year, which I'd love to try---though I'd have to do a European for the CD--ugh! Would I look ridiculous? Would people point and laugh? I'd be skating with the Novice kids....mostly mid-teen age, 13-16-ish. (I'm 38 :oops: )I think you should go! I don't think anyone would laugh at someone else at their level who loves dance as much as they do, but hey, if you get weird looks, ignore them! Skating in a comp is something you do for yourself, not for others. Go for it and have fun! (plus, you'll be surrounded by beautiful scenery)

Spring Flowers: Worked on program last night. We smoothed out some of the rough spots (so hopefully my transitions will look less awkward - per the comments from some of the NYI judges). I was pleasantly surprised to land my loop during each of the run-throughs of that section.

Snow drifts: Having spin difficulties. My coach has me using a slightly different spin technique than I'm used to, so it's a bit hard to adjust. My backspin is kind of wonky b/c instead of spinning from a standstill, I'm entering the spin from a back pivot, which I know will help with the change-foot spins, but it's a whole different approach. My sit spin is also a problem now - the coach who choreographed my program commented "the spins are growing up", to which I said, "yes, but they're throwing a temper tantrum" - lol! :lol:

The spiral in my program also doesn't look too good. I need to stretch this week! And stretching is probably the only skating-related activity I'll be able to do until next Monday - no lesson and practice this Thursday b/c of Passover and probably no skating Sat b/c of COI in the afternoon, and all the rinks are closed Sun b/c of Easter.

Terri C
04-11-2006, 03:55 PM
This is for yesterday:
Spring Flowers:
The first half of my new program is jelling together, and I'm getting the idea behind some of the new footwork in the program too!

Snow Showers:
Now doing the second half of the program with the music is a different story, but I'm not getting to muffled about it, since Secondary coach may change some of it tomorrow.

Total Blizzard:
When I got home from the rink last night and checked e-mail I got forwarded e-mails from both coaches regarding the summer skating schedule. The freestyle sessions at my rink will be 7am-10am Monday- Friday, with a Saturday session. Since I work from 7am-3:30 pm, I'm quite upset. Here I am with a new program, planning to re-take Bronze moves again this summer and KER-POW- there goes all the hard work!! :( :frus:
Take that as another reason some folks have a hard time moving up to Bronze!

mikawendy
04-11-2006, 09:14 PM
Total Blizzard:
When I got home from the rink last night and checked e-mail I got forwarded e-mails from both coaches regarding the summer skating schedule. The freestyle sessions at my rink will be 7am-10am Monday- Friday, with a Saturday session. Since I work from 7am-3:30 pm, I'm quite upset. Here I am with a new program, planning to re-take Bronze moves again this summer and KER-POW- there goes all the hard work!! :( :frus:

Oh, Terri, that's rotten news for you. Is your work schedule flexible at all? That is, for one day a week, could you work later hours? (Sorry that I can't recall for sure if you've mentioned what kind of work you do--it's in a hospital, right? Would someone be willing to trade shifts with you once a week, or is that not permitted?)

If that wouldn't pan out, could you and your coach at least work on an off-ice regimen that would somehow mesh with the bronze moves, such as things that use similar weight shifts or torso shifts, and plyometrics for the power/continuous flow aspect? A while ago, I think someone posted a description of an off ice exercise for power threes that worked on the position of the arms and the shift of the torso.

tidesong
04-11-2006, 10:28 PM
spring flowers:
my blades were sharpened pretty good, they were grabby for about 15 mins but after some stops on inside and outside edges they felt pretty good.

Managed to get good air position (crossed feet!!!) on a double loop (although I think its still underrotated :( )

snow showers:
I ran out of energy so fast... by the 1 hour and 30 min mark I just couldnt muster the strength to really jump up anymore and after some wimpy jumps I gave up and did spirals although the ice was really rough and yucky for any moves.

Thin-Ice
04-12-2006, 02:43 AM
I'm also seriously thinking about the Lake Placid Dance Competition in August.....would I dare to skate there? They have a solo CD/OD event this year, which I'd love to try---though I'd have to do a European for the CD--ugh! Would I look ridiculous? Would people point and laugh? I'd be skating with the Novice kids....mostly mid-teen age, 13-16-ish. (I'm 38 :oops: )

A friend of mine did this last event year.. She's 50 and has passed all her Pre-Silver dances... and she competed with the kids. She said only one parent looked at her strangely and then said "I didn't know old people could skate like that" -- to which she replied "I'm taking that as a compliment, so thank you!".

Everyone else just assumed she was a skater, so she belonged there. Go and have a great time!

cassarilda
04-12-2006, 03:27 AM
Had my 'coffee club' session today...

Had an early stretch session... and since I am the youngest by far in the Weds group, I think I was one of the most flexy... ;)

Snow Drifts:

The ice was nice at first, but someone flooded it too quickly, and it hadnt frozen correctly - too quickly, and everytime someone toepicked it, fell over etc, a HUGE chunk was removed.. it was DISGUSTING!! :frus: And because of it, I couldnt do much at all afterwards... so I just tried basics.
Then within 20mins of being on the ice, just doing stroking etc and attempting my forward crossovers I tripped on a massive rut in the ice, landed on both knees (OUCH!!!!!!!), and went sliding belly first across the ice... ouch ouch ouch... but got up, stretched some and went around and did the class... I put ice on it afterwards, and Ive got a pack on it now, but Ive still got two nice purple lumps on my knees. 8O
Forward crossovers... have I ever mentioned exactly how much I HATE forward crossovers? I practised and practised and practised some more... Im not getting the back foot pushing properly, and Im not crossing over enough, although I did bend my knees more and it seemed to help, but my leg muscles arent good enough yet to keep it up! :roll: Can someone please reassure me that this is one of those things that will just happen!?!
I met someone who was doing spins and backward crossovers etc, but he couldnt skate on one foot, didnt know about edges... 8O very worrisome!

Spring Flowers:

My 3-turns are nice still which is a relief.
Mohawks are ok, but need more practise.
I tried to do edges (S figures up and down the rink on alternating feet and edges).. forwards is ok.. not fantastic but getting there.. backwards? no hope!
I did my backwards crossovers!!!! YAY!!! I was going too fast, BUT I slowed them down and Im getting there! If only I was having as much success with forwards! :frus:
The girl who skates with my hubby doing dance taught me the Canasta Tango, which was nice - to follow a girl doing the girls steps, rather than listening to a boy telling me ;) ... she also taught me the swing roll (??), and was very excited that she managed to teach me something that hubby hadnt yet! :lol:
OH! I also managed 4-rotations on my one foot spin!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! :D I stopped trying spins soon afterwards because I wanted to finish on a high! :D

mintypoppet
04-12-2006, 04:07 AM
Spring Flowers:

F xrolls feel nice, and F xovers have reappeared now I'm actually practising them ;)

Snow Drifts:
Posture still causing major issues, and my coach is commenting on it. I'm having a hard enough time trying to fix it *off* the ice, let alone *on* it!

Consequently though, I toepicked myself twice practising the novice foxtrot and BI edges are iffy, as my weight's too far forward. B xovers are fine once I've got into the swing of them though, so I know I can do it. I just seem to get my feet mixed up whenever I stop keeping an eye on them...!

Generally an unstable feeling week though. A few days off is welcome for once.

Rusty Blades
04-12-2006, 05:02 AM
... seriously thinking about the Lake Placid Dance Competition in August.....would I dare to skate there? ... Would I look ridiculous? Would people point and laugh? I'd be skating with the Novice kids....mostly mid-teen age, 13-16-ish. (I'm 38 :oops: )

At one club where I skated last winter, the oldest skater was about 16 and I was 20 years older than the oldest coach! (I'm 56) It took awhile to get used to being "the fat old lady on skates" but I found the dressing room talk amusing - reminded me of high school! Once the young hot-shots realized the old broad was really determined to re-learn figure skating I found the girls to be very friendly. Sometimes parents would hesitate at the boards and watch for awhile - I'd just smile and keep skating. If they stared too much, I'd skate over and suggest they bring their skates next time 8O

Skate@Delaware
04-12-2006, 05:51 AM
At one club where I skated last winter, the oldest skater was about 16 and I was 20 years older than the oldest coach! (I'm 56) It took awhile to get used to being "the fat old lady on skates" but I found the dressing room talk amusing - reminded me of high school! Once the young hot-shots realized the old broad was really determined to re-learn figure skating I found the girls to be very friendly. Sometimes parents would hesitate at the boards and watch for awhile - I'd just smile and keep skating. If they stared too much, I'd skate over and suggest they bring their skates next time 8O

Sounds just like me! Actually managed to get 2 ladies into lessons and they have had a blast!!

I have also become the "rink mom" who is the go-to person for band-aids, tissues, hair bands, etc. and a good listen. Also to help if there are "hockey bullies" on public ice (I know most of the dads).

Isn't the teen-talk funny?????

Mrs Redboots
04-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Spring Flowers:
The coach actually said my back cross-rolls were "very good"!!!!! Praise indeed..... not, of course, testable yet, he doesn't think, as I am not yet actually putting my blade down on a back outside edge, but putting it down rather flat and rocking over. And he noticed the judge comment on just that fault in the last set of tests. You note, he didn't say the judge failed the skater for it, just that he or she commented on it!

He said the back cross-cuts were "okay - not very good, not bad, improving". Which they are. Far too flat, still, even I am aware of that! But they are on better edges than they used to be, and I think was improving them by the end of my practice.

Did a really quite good Canadian Cha-cha with Husband; we covered far more ice than normal. And I think we stayed in time to the music, although I wouldn't swear to it. And he went wrong in the Swing Dance, tee hee.

Both our skates have gone to be sharpened; Coach2 is coming in at 08:00 tomorrow, and I know that L, K, Husband and I all want ours back, to say nothing of the kids....

Snow Showers: Not a lot, really. Coach tried to fix my spins, and we even worked a little on the backspin (I hadn't known the correct entry - mine was a bit "suck it and see", and far easier as a changefoot!). I can feel what I'm doing wrong in the spin now (not over my blade enough), but not sure I can fix it yet. Will try.

Rusty Blades
04-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Sounds just like me! . . . I have also become the "rink mom" . . . and a good listen . . . Isn't the teen-talk funny?????

LOL! Yes, there are a couple of girls who love to "talk my ear off" now. The "teen-talk" causes me flash-backs! :mrgreen:

I never had children of my own so I am enjoying being "rink Mom"!

flo
04-12-2006, 10:49 AM
flowers: Decided on an interpretive program for France. Watching the Olympics and Worlds, I really miss seeing programs with long edges and moves held out. Everything is so fast now to cram in as much difficulty as possible. So I'm doing a simple program with edges and hopefully flow!

Big news: may have a new member of the family. I offered to foster another dog, and she might be staying with us. She's a 4 1/2 pound chihuahua, and I've named her Mabel.

LoopLoop
04-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Total Blizzard:

That stinks! But aren't there a couple of other rinks in your area? Even if they're not as convenient, will it be possible to skate at them once or twice a week in addition to the Saturday session at your regular rink?

jazzpants
04-12-2006, 02:07 PM
Snow drifts:

Forward Power 3's:

THAT BLIMIN' $*@%^& choctaw!!! :frus:

(Nuf said!)

Spring Flower:

NUTTIN!!! :cry: (We've got PLENTY of rain!!! Could we please have some sun so we can see some Spring flowers now!?!?!!) :roll:

Skittl1321
04-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Spring Flowers My lesson went great. My edges on a circle rock. I did a 2 footed spin (without using a toe pick pivot i can do them just fine) I'm getting the idea of backwards stroking, and my 3-turns weren't a total disaster.

Snow Drift I have a stress fracture in my ankle and I was told to stay off it for 8 weeks. I guess I shouldn't have gone to the lesson, but they are paid for and I'm going. It's only 30 minutes. (It does hurt though) I'm stopping my 8 hours of ballet per week and not going to adult session (2 hours) of skating, so I think that's staying off of it. Not going to that adult session though means no practice, so I won't pass this level, which stinks.

coskater64
04-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Spring Flowers: 2 sow is really getting much better, 2 toe left me, but -- came back today on late session when I was really tired, even from the bauer. 2 loop looking good, consistent w/ 1/4 cheat and typical fall when done cleanly. Flip 2 loop is the same 1/4 cheat is okay, full rotation with a fall. Coach is threatening to kill me very soon if I don't make it work. Trying to do full deep sit with chest on knee and then to broken leg. Maybe. Jr moves look ok.

Snow drifts: Hip is starting to hurt again, maybe to many deep spins and jump practice, go to doctor in a weeko-and-a-half so maybe he can tell me. Will test few dances, not expecting a lot.8O

Terri C
04-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Spring Flowers:
Heard from our skating director today that the rink is trying to work on some afternoon sessions for the summer!! Relief!
Had a good lesson with secondary coach where we revisted the camel, I did a really nice low sitspin (where is a camera when I need one?) and attempted back sit and sit change sit.
We also finished my freeskate program which I have five weeks to get from discombobulated mess to presentable!

mikawendy
04-12-2006, 06:55 PM
What is that????

I know that in ballet a developpe is when an extension "develops" -- it starts with a plie (bend knees), then the working leg is lifted, knee first, as high as one can, then the working leg is straightened to full extension and the supporting leg (skating leg) straightens, too. Sound right?

Yes, a developpe spiral is similar to a developpe in ballet. It's also similar to a grand rond de jambe and sorta similar to a renverse (without the sideways lean of the torso). The one I learned starts on an FO edge. Free foot starts in front of the skating leg in a position similar to free leg position in a spin or a loop jump. The developpe/and around part takes the free knee up in the front and to the side. As the free knee reaches the side, the free leg is unfurling, then straightens, then is carried around to the back to a traditional forward spiral position. As this all happens, the forward outside edge takes you around on a curve and you wind up in an FO spiral.

The hard part (other than the strength required to do it, which my quads and hip flexors lack at the moment) is to get the free leg straight before it goes to the back, otherwise it looks like a badly done attitude position. It's fun but very hard and I have to be careful as I do it so that I don't go up on the toe pick of my skating leg during the front/side portions.

Figureskates
04-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Snow drifts: I have contracted Shingles. It's uncomfortable as hell...visualize a perpetual gall bladder attack.

Spring Flowers:For some reason, it has not affected my figure skating! Had lesson today and coach was extremely pleased at how I nailed my figure 8s. A side benefit is that the cold environment really lowers the pain. Since this may go on for a few months, I will be in the rink as much as possible!

Raye
04-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Yes, a developpe spiral is similar to a developpe in ballet. It's also similar to a grand rond de jambe and sorta similar to a renverse (without the sideways lean of the torso). The one I learned starts on an FO edge. Free foot starts in front of the skating leg in a position similar to free leg position in a spin or a loop jump. The developpe/and around part takes the free knee up in the front and to the side. As the free knee reaches the side, the free leg is unfurling, then straightens, then is carried around to the back to a traditional forward spiral position. As this all happens, the forward outside edge takes you around on a curve and you wind up in an FO spiral.

The hard part (other than the strength required to do it, which my quads and hip flexors lack at the moment) is to get the free leg straight before it goes to the back, otherwise it looks like a badly done attitude position. It's fun but very hard and I have to be careful as I do it so that I don't go up on the toe pick of my skating leg during the front/side portions.

I love that spiral!!! At least I love watching it done well. I started working on learning it a couple of weeks ago and my butt hurt for DAYS. I am a long way from doing it well, but it IS coming.

Rusty Blades
04-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Snow Drifts After a VERY hectic day at work I was pretty pooped for the evening’s skate and left 20 minutes early. No point skating in The Twilight Zone, not with an hour’s drive home!

My “good foot” seems to have switched again. After so many weeks of focusing on my RF edges (which were the pits) , they were back really good tonight, even some nice form on RFO glides, but it seems the “dead foot syndrom” moved to my left foot (which USED to be good)!

Spring Flowers Worked on some hip rotations - left foot directly ahead of and in line with the right, switch, switch again - kind of nice - might be able to develop it into a program move. Did some more backward sculling and question marks (alternate half-sculls) but being tired my balance wasn’t right on. Oh well, at least there was significant progress on the RF edges.

AW1
04-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Snow Drifts: I found out that to join the adult synchro team properly I have to work on "Basic footwork mostly, forward and backward crossovers, chasses, 3-turns, mohawks, taptoes and stops. A few field moves like spirals would be great too"

Now I have about as much hope in learning a spiral as I have of growing another head. The chasses I can do. Tap Toes, 3 turns & mohawks I am learning and I can stop (well I can do t stops much better than snowplough stops). Seems like I will never get to where I want to be any time soon :frus:

Oh and still 3 weeks or so until my new skates arrive :x grrr at having these horrible ducks feet.

Spring Flowers : It's the beginning of a long weekend, and I'm going camping - there's no skating except for Monday and I'll be back by then to give it another shot.

sk8guy71
04-12-2006, 09:34 PM
spring flowers
Worked on those cursed crossovers tonight and actually managed to *almost* get the hang of it. Now if I could just get my arms to behave and keep my upper body still. lol

snow drifts
However, those same crossovers are wild/crazy. I feel so uncontrolled when I do them that my upper body twists back around and I'm just stroking like mad. And I don't feel I have a lot of security on the ice -- very unstable. I manage to cross over just fine, but when I push off, my blade sometimes just skids across the ice. I think it may be a sharpening issue (currently playing phonetag with the sharpener to set up an appointment), so hopefully when I get that taken care of (finally), it might help me a great deal. In more dreadful news, I filed my taxes. Oy! For the 1st time ever, I owe a lot of money --- a LOT of money (close to $1300). I am not amused. :cry:

SDFanatic
04-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Snow Drifts:In group lessons today we didn't do any spins! I so much wanted to try them again to see if I can feel the edge like I did last week. I won't be able to find out next week either as it's an off week.

We worked on toe loops and it was a bit frustrating as I couldn't get a good draw from not being able to bend my ankles enough in my new boots. Click-Splat is also more common due to lack of ankle bend although I've avoided falling so far.

Spring Flowers:Even though my boots are loose and stiff, left right forwads and backwards crossovers are excellent, I don't feel like I'm going to tilt out of the circle like I did with my old boots. I'm also getting better memory for doing the toe loop and my spirals are still ok with no strain.

Having a week off is annoying, but is good as I can send my boots back to Klingbeil and fix the looseness. Don looked at them at Nationals and figured out what would need done so off they go!

Steven

Skate@Delaware
04-12-2006, 09:44 PM
Spring Flowers: Why is the last lesson of the season always the greatest? My spins came back (they had left because of ear/sinus congestion). So, we hit the spins first. I learned to do a scratch and raise my arms up over my head! Then we worked on some very fast scratch spins...and I did one soooo fast (and centered) that my coach said "OMG! Keep it!!! Keep it!!! WOW!!!" It was cool, a barf-o-matic spin! Just in time for the show!!

Then we worked on camels, and I learned to push my right arm through, my left leg through and hold on!

Next was jumps and I managed to do several decent loops that were interesting-kept putting my left foot down first, then my right. So we switched to waltz-loops and I did manage one that was just slightly 2-footed!

Last, backspins. I showed her my "amazing" 2-revolution spin and she was very happy, because up till now she had only seen my 1/2 revolution ones. Then she had me hold my free leg out a bit longer, then bring it across and I managed a few 3-4 revolution backspins!!!!

Snow Drifts: I'm physically tired and emotionally drained......Dress rehearsal is tomorrow. I took tomorrow off to finish costumes and buy some food to have in the house. One show on Friday, two shows on Saturday.....I start my vacation after that!!!!! One week of messing around!!! Then I kick it up with my off-ice workouts (which have really helped my jumps and core strength).

Then I will decide what to do for skating. I hear there is a rink going into a sports facility in Salisbury MD. That would be an easier drive for me. My coach's rink gets ice in August, so I will kick it up then, she will let me know so I can take from her there. I'm planning on skating a few times a month. We'll see. I want to do the Halloween Classic, so I need to keep up with stuff. And if I don't have a good sitspin by then, maybe I'll have a good camel!!

mikawendy
04-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Snow drifts: I have contracted Shingles. It's uncomfortable as hell...visualize a perpetual gall bladder attack.

Spring Flowers:For some reason, it has not affected my figure skating! Had lesson today and coach was extremely pleased at how I nailed my figure 8s. A side benefit is that the cold environment really lowers the pain. Since this may go on for a few months, I will be in the rink as much as possible!

Figureskates, so sorry to hear about your shingles. I hope you're coping okay with the pain. {{{hugs}}}

jazzpants
04-13-2006, 12:49 AM

Spring Flowers:For some reason, it has not affected my figure skating! Had lesson today and coach was extremely pleased at how I nailed my figure 8s. A side benefit is that the cold environment really lowers the pain. Since this may go on for a few months, I will be in the rink as much as possible!Oh, geez! SHINGLES!!! EEEEEEK!!!! 8O 8O 8O I HATE THOSE!!! I had them a few years ago! Yup! I got the whole chickenpox thing when I was 13-14 and again when I was about 20-something. (It was before I got married, but I remembered being engaged by then.) SOOOO NOT FUN!!! Took a month for me to totally recover. (Still have scars on my face from the shingles.) :x

Hopefully you'll feel better soon, Figureskates!

cassarilda
04-13-2006, 01:07 AM
Hubby and I went down today... He skated for about an hour or so with the girl who wants to learn dance, then I got him back :D

Snow Drifts:

My head/neck is REALLY killing me... so much that I got frustrated, burst into tears and hopped off the ice and sat with my head in my hands for about 10mins :cry: I received a great neck and shoulder massage from hubby which made it feel a lot better (he thinks its mainly muscular and from my fall yesterday.. which is kinda ok, because at least it means I dont have to head back to the chiropractor).

Because of said headache, I couldnt do anything.. I wasnt feeling 'with it' enough to do crossovers or too many fancy moves.. so stroking and edges it was. (which isnt totally a bad thing)

Need to practise back edges more... at the moment, I dont have any.. and I have no push!

Spring Flowers:

Hubby came and became my coach for a little bit once I got back on the ice. He helped me correct my posture for my edges (knees bent (BEND MORE!! ), shoulders down, arms up, shoulder blade muscles tense, butt taut and free leg up... UP!!!!... :lol: ) and of course it did help. ;)

He also helped me with my cross rolls that I learnt the other day (yesterday?), and we did one in Reverse Killian hold... I was very pleased with myself :D Tell you what though, it make a difference doing it with a man next to you who does really deep edges!!! :D

Hubby FINALLY saw my spins... cos of my headache I only tried it about 5-6 times.. and then stopped because I fell over due to getting dizzy. :roll:

My backward crossovers going anti clockwise are still there YAY!!! the other direction needs some work, but I didnt do much, once again because of my head.. I couldnt get my head around anything new or too difficult.

And after all this, and sometime in the middle when I did something well, coach became hubby again and gave me a hug :lol: :D

Thin-Ice
04-13-2006, 03:25 AM
Spring Flower:

NUTTIN!!! :cry: (We've got PLENTY of rain!!! Could we please have some sun so we can see some Spring flowers now!?!?!!) :roll:

Sorry Jazzpants...

There will be no spring this year.. we're going directly from "rainy season" (which makes all the grass grow very fast and tall) into "fire season" (when all that tall grass dries out overnight and becomes tinder for any idiot who thinks it's perfectly all right and legal to throw a lit cigarette out of a moving car onto the hillside by the freeway).

AW1
04-13-2006, 06:39 AM
(when all that tall grass dries out overnight and becomes tinder for any idiot who thinks it's perfectly all right and legal to throw a lit cigarette out of a moving car onto the hillside by the freeway).

Off topic sorry but I have just had this same thing yesterday when I was sitting in my car I saw this guy throw his cigarette butt out the window, and I was tempted to hop out of my car, pick it up and throw it back into his car.... only for fear of being charged for either assault or road rage :halo:

Skate@Delaware
04-13-2006, 07:09 AM
Off topic sorry but I have just had this same thing yesterday when I was sitting in my car I saw this guy throw his cigarette butt out the window, and I was tempted to hop out of my car, pick it up and throw it back into his car.... only for fear of being charged for either assault or road rage :halo:
I have so wanted to do that too!!! Tempted to say, "Excuse me, you dropped this" :twisted:

AW1
04-13-2006, 07:37 AM
I have so wanted to do that too!!! Tempted to say, "Excuse me, you dropped this" :twisted:

Glad I'm not the only one who has these thoughts S@D :twisted:

SDFanatic
04-13-2006, 07:42 AM
I drive a van and have had them bounce off my windshield.

How tempting it is to give them a nudge :twisted:

Steven (who knows someone who got a ticket for throwing an apple core out the window, what makes cigarette butts exempt?)

Mrs Redboots
04-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Spring Flowers: Sharp blades

Snow Showers: Sharp blades!

Enough said.... plus was really tired; I don't normally skate on Thursdays, it's a rest day, so only skated for 45 minutes or so. Tomorrow should be fantastic!

quarkiki2
04-13-2006, 09:00 AM
Snow Drifts: Ran through both synchro programs in practice last night -- pretty much stunk up the ice as 1/3 of our team wasn't there. I have also contracted my yung'un's cold and was exhausted and dizzy, so did not do any turns for fear of wiping out and taking half of the remaining two-thirds of the team.

Spring Flowers: We tried some new things that we'd seen at Nationals and through might be fun for a new program. And I could do all of them, even theough I was weak and a bit dizzy, yay! I even got to be a "backwards" person -- meaning that my coach deemed my backwards skating and lunging better than the four she picked to go forward in an alternating line. Of course, the three people not at practice all have better backwards swing rolls than me, so I'll likely be a forwards person if we really do this, but I also have a very reliable back lunge, so I guess we'll see how it really goes.

We also tried all sorts of varieties of spirals in a circle and, as I suspected, all of mine are fine EXCEPT the RBO that was in our program from this year, sheesh! :roll: I was actually one of the more steady when we tried one that starts front and swings back.

Lastly: Jessi -- take care of your ankle and Figureskates get well soon!

flo
04-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Mika - the developpe spirals are my favorites! They're beautiful when done with a partner as you start sbs and end up one following the other. We did this once, and then he caught my skate and drew me back into a loop lift. Hmm...something Loops and Nova could do nicely....

Raye
04-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Spring Flowers: Great practice this morning. Landed a ton of loop-jumps! These are finally becoming almost reliable.YAAAAAAAY
Kept almost splatting into the boards on runthroughs of my Freeskate Program, so Coach had to re-choreograph a good part of it. Apparently, I have developed more speed and power since the original choreography was done and it doesn't fit on the ice anymore. :roll: I'm not complaining, it's a nice problem to have!

Snow Showers: I only have five weeks to have the newly choreographed program ready for the European competitons.

More Flowers: At least hockey is over at my main rink, so there's more ice available for figure skaters....

mikawendy
04-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Mika - the developpe spirals are my favorites! They're beautiful when done with a partner as you start sbs and end up one following the other. We did this once, and then he caught my skate and drew me back into a loop lift. Hmm...something Loops and Nova could do nicely....

Hi, flo--The funny thing about this all was about a week ago, I was thinking about the developpe spiral in your Elgar bird program (I think) and I was wondering how on earth one does that kind of spiral--then on Sunday, it popped up in the choreography for the group number I'm in!

jazzpants
04-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Snow Drifts:

Still working on that power 3's... :frus: My primary coach still maintains that my LFO3 is now better than my RFO3 (and RFO3 is my SPIN ENTRY??? 8O ) My primary coach suggest I do them like I'm entering my spins... I didn't think they're that great, but primary coach is insistent that I do them that way.
Primary coach was not happy scheduling for this critique so soon b/c it doesn't leave him enough time to "get me ready." I reminded him that this is merely a "critique" and to see how far along I've gone.Spring Flowers:

FINALLY, I am addressing one of my "skating on flats" issues for the power 3's... on the back crossovers, I'm not pushing down on the heel in the BI edge. When primary coach insisted that I do them... lo and behold, the edge curved more and I was better able to adjust the choctaw for the power 3's on the RFO side *AND* my "skating on flats" issue. (Or at least that's what my primary coach says... I don't have any video to see what I really did.)

Funny thing happen during FS:
A bunch of my secondary coach's young students were trying for a "reverse axel" (i.e. doing the axel not in the direction that they're used to... apparently my primary coach got wind of the challenge and decided to join in on the fun just before my lessons start. (And if you're curious... yes, my primary coach DID land it cleanly also!) :P So not fair that my coach can do things better than me in my direction... GRRRR!!! :frus::P

Of course, my secondary coach had to drop in the line about "Jazzpant's coach in NYC" can landing the "reverse axel" on "that TV skating show..." (And I added that he won that challenge too!!!) :P To which the primary coach replied "I'll bet he skated ISI before!" :twisted: :lol: (Think ISI FS 10 requirement...)

Mrs Redboots
04-14-2006, 04:55 AM
Public holiday here in the UK today, so had a really long practice with the Husband, although it has to be said we didn't rush down to the rink, and it was well after 7:30 am before we got there! The ice was pretty empty, mostly adults (one young family did come in, but mostly the kids only come if their coaches are going to be there, and the only coach that was in this morning teaches mostly adults).

Spring Flowers: Whisper it, but of the three adult couples at our rink, at the moment our Fiesta Tango is the best of the lot! I am surprised at our no 1 adult couple, they are usually much better than us, but they obviously have issues with the Fiesta. Well, so do we, but I was pleased with our run-through of it this morning! I dare say they will overtake us when it comes to competition-time, though....

Did good Dutch Waltz, needed 2 goes at the Canadian Cha-cha to get it up and running but the 2nd time was okay, Rhythm Blues did 2 really good patterns and the 3rd one went so out of time what we were doing bore no relation to the music. The Swing Dance also went out of time as we were using the seriously slow USFSA music, not the proper beat. But it was not bad, all the same, though I don't know what our coach would have said.

I had a good run-through of my interp, too. And our free dance needs work, but we began to break down the bits that really need work - we must, must, MUST do it off-ice more!

Snow showers: It's raining and I'm stressed, but apart from that..... dance moves not desperately good, but at least I did them without stopping. I do run out of steam on them, though, and really need to work on keeping them going for a whole lap - as it is, the first side is always reasonable and the second not so good!

Off now until Monday night - have a wonderful Easter, everybody!

blue111moon
04-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Well, last night I think I plowed up enough snow to make my own personal blizzard but I'm not that bummed about it. My coach decided that it was time to do many run-throughs of the Interp program so I can get used to remembering the entire program while music was playing to distract me. I managed better than I thought I would, except that I took two very nasty falls in the exact same place (the middle of the footwork going tinto the ending) and managed to bruise both elbows, both knees, half of my ribcage and one hip in the process. Added to the bruise on my other hip that I got on Sunday (stepping onto the ice with guards on - Stupid Move of the Year #1 for me) and I'm going to be more colorful than an Easter Egg by Sunday. I think I'll pass on wearing a dress to church this week. :lol:

Spring Flowers: I'm pushing through the program and the choreography is finally being imprinted on my brain so that I can think about HOW I'm doing things rather than just WHAT I'm doing. And my sitspin was really on, at least before I fell on my knee.

Plus my USFSA Regional Accountant's appointment came through last week so I'm super-happy.

cutiesk8r43
04-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Spring flowers: yesterday was our first day of spring break! yaay, and suprisingly it is nice outside! yaay. ok anyways, yesterday i had a lesson with my freestyle coach and i landed some good axels and double salchows so my lesson was going good. i have recently started working on my new program and by the way im skating to west side story:)

Snow Drifts: then we got to working on it and adding things nd making the program when it was like nothing would work i kept falling on brackets which hurt. and they were good on tueday so it was very fruastrating that for my lesson they decided not to work.so we really didnt get very far in my program and my competition is at the end of may, so hopefully things will go better for my next lesson and we can move on :roll:

~Cutie;)

phoenix
04-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Spring Flowers:
Okay, I booked my flights to Lake Placid today & I'm so excited! I got a great price for my ticket so that makes me very happy. And I'm going to be staying in a townhouse w/ Jenlyon & others from her rink, which will be so great! Thank you to those who encouraged me to go for it. Now I just have to learn how to dance........yikes!!

Snow Drifts:
I started working on the European Waltz this week, & it's a good thing I've got 4 months to pull it together--wow. It's really, really bad. I'll be working on the drop 3's for the entire summer, for sure. But I'm hoping it will make me a lot stronger in the long run. I haven't decided whether my problem is a technique issue, or if it's just one of those things that you have to do 10 million times before you can do it well. Probably it's a little of both.

Also have given myself a deadline of 2 weeks MAX to choose tango music so we can get going on choreography. I have a few possibilities, that will work all right, if I don't find something that I really love.

Rob Dean
04-14-2006, 12:58 PM
Snow Drifts: I scheduled a last-minute pre-test touch-up lesson last night, and can't really say that I was surprised to find that it looked like *everyone* else at the rink had done the same. We had two too-near misses and one collision, with nobody hurt, luckily.

Spring Flowers: :) However, today was the test session, and it conveniently worked out that son had his two tests in a compact time block with mine. I passed both dances tried (with some warranted criticism, but that just gives me something to work on), and son passed his as well, so it was all smiles on the way home this morning. On to the next lessons!

Rob Dean

coskater64
04-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Snow drifts: It has suddenly hit me, holy CR*P I test my Jr moves in a week! I wonder, would it be wrong to test with an arrow pointing to my hip noting my surgery date? Would it help? Eeek I signed up for the Foxtrot, what was I thinking...? Gads!

Spring Flowers: Jumps and spins are really freakishly good, double sow is just scary, really clean nice and neat, double toe is starting to come around--just got some new choreography--combo spin, to bauer, to 2 toe, then flying camel to footwork...seriously dizzy, practicing that a lot. Former dance coach likes my catchfoot pose so suggested I go straight from that into 2sow. Thanks a lot. Must remember to trip him...:twisted:

Awfully good week overall, 1st one this year, of course only had 5-6 last year.

xofivebyfive
04-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Snow Drift! There were so many little hockey people and birthday parties going on that it was so hard to practice what I learned in my lesson. The kids were going the wrong direction and going right through the middle of the rink where I was practicing my 3 turns, and I couldn't get anything done. I also have to get my braces taken off so I can get my jaw fixed so I can get rid of the headaches that I've been having for 5 months, and then relive the pain of getting them put on at the end of the summer. :cry:
Spring Flowers I'm a really fast learned apparently, because whenever my teacher teaches me something, I can do it with little trouble. I was so excited because I was having issues with one foot turns and then when I got them perfect and glided backwards without putting my foot down immediately, I was so proud. And then I just learned backwards crossovers today and I did them so well in practice afterwards.

cassarilda
04-15-2006, 12:09 AM
Spring Flowers:

The ice is getting better.. it was actually nice for my group lesson this morning! 8O Ended up still being awful towards the end but I didnt stay on until the end so it didnt matter (see Snow Drifts :roll: )
Stroking - getting much better.. I feel like I am doing what hubby does when he does stroking... deep knee bends, back leg extended and control... it felt REALLY nice... probably didnt look as good as hubby, but oh well, its a start... I was also actually taking my time with my pushes and putting my foot down next to my skating leg... so I think Im getting a bit more control.
Lesson - crossrolls, change of edges, 3-turns and mohawks mainly.. all not too bad.. my 3-turns are getting more control (probably cos of my bending leg :D )... but also hubby gave me a lesson on edges (my control is all from my torso Ive found.. if thats solid, Im fine), so it helped with my turns etc.

Snow Drifts:

The ice was PACKED!!! And mainly full of the public who didnt know to stay out of the middle (or those who couldnt understand that whilst yes we in the middle must share the ice, they have to understand that public sessions are the only time we get to practise, so please stay out :frus: :?? ).
We have a competition this weekend, so whilst it was good watching practise before class, the ice was packed and there was a synchro team practising as well, which wasnt very safe.. :roll:
Ok... my major snow drift?? I was practising back crossovers, which Ive recently gotten... and because of said packed ice, when I saw someone duck behind me, I was in the middle of a crossover, and silly me tried to stop in that position... hence click of death, and I fell on my knees again... 8O :( Dont ask me how I managed it... you would think I would fall on my bum... but no, on my knees... kinda hurt and I once again have an ice pack on it... but Im sure it will be fine... the one that hurts most is the one I bruised on Wednesday and was still purple.. now its multicolor!! :lol: :halo: the other knee which used to hurt more seems to have gotten used to it, cos its fine! :roll: lots of Arnica cream tonight! :)

But otherwise, it was a mainly good day because I got my stroking rythmn nice... very pleased with myself.. and I dont have uni until Thursday, and next set skating session is Wednesday... so Im taking it nice and easy until then :) and I WILL get these damn crossovers!!!!!!!! Did/is anyone else have/having as much trouble as I am??? I did a few today and it helped more having bent knees (funny about that :lol: ), but still not good enough...

Figureskates
04-15-2006, 02:41 AM
Shingles or no shingles, I am still going ahead with the 2 Adult Sessions at Lake Placid this summer. Since this thing doesn't seem to interfer with my figures, I can work on these this summer. Freestyle will have to be put on hold for awhile. I tried a Salchow the other day and it was a tad painful. Also I was going to do pairs but I think that will have to wait as well as I am not really keen on anyone grabbing me around the waist at the moment.

Things could be worse.

phoenix
04-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Snow Drifts: What's harder than a solo European Waltz? A solo European Waltz *with your hands behind your back*!!! And here's the kicker--my coach didn't even ask for it--I started trying it on my own during practice. (he probably will ask for it sooner or later anyway) It will help, but man, it's so hard. And no, I haven't even thought about trying it with music yet.

Spring Flowers: I did three, count them, three consecutive patterns of the Kilian on time w/ the music today! Edges were not great, but they were there, so I'm very pleased. And even more pleased by the fact that this dance is becoming comfortable, there are no terror spots anymore, and I can see a place in the future that this will be an easy dance to do. Not yet, but I can see it coming. That amazes me!

Terri C
04-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Spring Flowers:
Not as crowded a freestyle session today, because of Easter.
Had a nice, fast, LOW ( :D 8O ) and centered sitspin today- came up from it with a WHOA! feeling.

April Showers:
Had to skate around little beginners that were getting their programs choreographed for the ISI competition at our rink next month. On coach playes their skaters music 4-5 times a piece :roll: .
End of new freeskate program is still a mess, but toward the end of the session, got the idea.

xofivebyfive
04-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Snow Drifts: I accidently ended up skating for a total of 3 hours yesterday, so my legs are killing me. My hips are so sore. OUCH.

Spring Flowers: I passed my Pre Alpha test! Yay! Although I knew I would because that stuff is easy for me, since I'm already working on Gamma level moves with my coach. But still.. it's exciting.

Rusty Blades
04-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Decided to pick up a couple of hours casual ice to find my LF edges (which went AWOL while I was working on my RF edges!) Made some recovery on LF edges. RF edges still pretty good. Coach took me back to T-starts with emphasis on form and posture this time and had me do some FO edges on a circle.

Spring Flowers Worked a lot on backward sculling and half-sculls. Actually got some one-foot backward glides for the first time - not steady, not long, and not every attempt, but for the first time! WAHOO!!! Another little step in the right direction.

Snow Drifts Took another fall doing forward glides - almost felt like chewing gum on the ice! No damage, just more practice doing falls ;-)

Spring Flowers Met with my personal trainer for the first time. We went over what I have been doing and my objectives and she's going to put together an at-home program for me (my schedule doesn't normally allow "classes"). We're going to do a couple of personal sessions to get me started on pilates.

jazzpants
04-15-2006, 07:54 PM
Snow Drifts:

Got up early for Club Ice session
Muscles took a lot long to warm up before my moves critique... lower back was definitely aching!!! :cry:Spring Flowers:

So happy to know thru the moves critique I got this morning (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=20531) that I'm getting really close to being ready to take the Bronze Moves test and pass!!! Still have stuff to work on, but I AM contemplating whether to take the Bronze Moves test in June now before the summer kids hog up the ice for regionals!!! :mrgreen:

beachbabe
04-15-2006, 10:33 PM
spring flowers: hmm, flying camel is slowly getting better, can get about 6 revolutions now.

snow drifts: lost my double loop again. Kept two footing double toe landing. Learning my new footwork sequence is a total pain. Didn't even see any improvement today.

SkatingOnClouds
04-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Spring Flowers: a quiet public session this morning (Sunday), with only 4 adults and 4 children, all recreational skaters. Miracles, they stayed out of my way. Even the "sled of death" users were okay after being gently told to stay around the outside.

So I got plenty of work done. Backspins are really coming. Improving my general footwork, turns and edges. Some nice waltz jumps, toe-loops, mediocre salcahows and half loops. And generally enjoyed relatively clear ice for a change.

April Showers: We seem to have skipped autumn and gone straight to winter here, it was freezing.

My spins have really gone off, cannot centre for love or money, no matter what I try, whether from a T-push or crossovers. Most peculiar.

Somewhere between the showers and flowers: I got brave and tried some sit spins. Not very low and only a 2-3 of revolutions, but it's good to try them again. Tried entering from the low position, as well as entering upright then dropping. Not sure which is going to work best for me, but I suspect upright then dropping helps me centre them better. Also tried a couple of camels. Again, not great, with only 2-3 revolutions. having trouble getting up over the blade, falling in even though I'm trying the lift and open the free hip.

It's just great to be working on these things again. Haven't had a lesson for a couple of weeks, and very crowded practise sessions, so it was just nice to have a fun skate today.

Skate@Delaware
04-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Spring Flowers: Last night was the last show performance and I went out with some high school friends (got in about 2 am this morning). Had a good time and the show ended on a good note. I'm sure by now the rink is starting to slush up.....my vacation is officially underway!

I'm planning on swapping out my blades and when I find out about that "optional" summer rink I should be good to go. Yay!!!

Snow Drifts: Personal trainer has plans to beef up my training when I get back from vacation.....

Rusty Blades
04-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Spring Flowers Started bulldozing my yard for a rink http://www.geocities.com/diannebest/skating/rink.html

Snow Drift Ran out of gas for the dozer and everything is closed for Easter

Skate@Delaware
04-17-2006, 11:17 AM
Dianne:
That rocks that you are going to put in your own rink!!

I'm not going to skate for another week or two-still unwinding from the show. I swear, next show I'm not staying in the same room with certain kids and their moms/grandma's!!! All I heard was yelling and #####ing at these kids from these adults....mind you, these adults were doing this to 3-5 year old kids! I asked them to please tone it down-I was promptly told to mind my own business!! I told them it was kind of hard, since we were in a public area 8O (I consider a public rink hockey changing room with 20 other people in it a fairly public area). Oh! I was pissed! That's the only drawback to show skating....#####y stage moms. It only takes 1-2 to ruin the reputation of all! The rest were wonderful! I even had one help me with my hair (I'm hopeless doing hair).

I'll recover by the time Nutcracker rolls around......maybe I'll get to be a snowflake!!!

xofivebyfive
04-17-2006, 06:31 PM
Spring Flowers: I LANDED A TOE LOOP! Yes, I realize it's like the easiest jump, but I DID ONE! And I didn't fall. YAY!

Raye
04-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Spring Flowers: I LANDED A TOE LOOP! Yes, I realize it's like the easiest jump, but I DID ONE! And I didn't fall. YAY!
Awesome! Good for you! May it be the first of many! :bow: :bow: :bow: