View Full Version : Time for new skates for child?

Lippylulu
04-10-2006, 07:02 AM
How do you know when is best to get new skates for a child? My daughter is 9 and we bought her first skates used less than 4 months ago. She has gone through a major growth spurt and went up 1/2 a size in her regular shoes. She has to really wiggle, twist and push to get her skates on now. Once they are on she says they are snug but comfortable. They are a very stiff boot---an older model Jackson (about 8 years old) that was used by a girl who competed but they are far from broken down. The skates are a size 3and that is her shoe size now, but I don't know how Jackons ran back 8 years ago. The blades are newer Sheffields in great shape.

Should we get new skates sooner rather than later, so she can take her time breaking them in while still using the old skates. She is starting waltz jumps, etc and is now used to these pretty stiff boots. She will probably take her first test in the next pair of skates.

Also any suggestions for a next pair of skates? I figure we will have to spend some $$$ this time as she skates about 6 hours a week now and takes 2 lessons a week.

Lenny2
04-10-2006, 07:45 AM
First, if she is not complaining about the fit, she doesn't need new skates.

But, it sounds like these skates are probably too stiff for her needs and not particularly appropriate for her use. The next time around, get her something less stiff. She will not wear the old skates at the same time she is breaking in the new skates--the swith is usually all-at-once. Indeed, many times, the skater takes the blades off the old skates and puts them on the news skates, if the blades will fit on the new skates, so there is no way she can continue to use the old skates anyway.

If she likes the Jacksons, it would be fine for her to stay in Jackson, but I would look at the Jackson website and check out which boot they recommend for skaters of her size and skill level. If you have a decent pro shop in your area, you can also seek recommendations from them, but you should realize that they will be pushing the brand that they carry, and many times they don't know much about fitting figure skates. In our area, it's all about hockey, and figure skaters are on their own. We became so frustrated with bad fittings from the pro shops that we learned how to do it ourselves and have ordered boots directly from the manufacturer (Harlick) for many years. Many of the on-line shops, like Rainbo Sport and Cyclone Taylor, carry several lines of boots and blades and have directions on how to trace and measure the foot.

You should also consult your skater's coach and see what brand he/she prefers. There are plenty of good brands--SP Teri, Harlick, Jackson, Graf, Klingbiel, Riedell--are all good. It's all about personal perference regarding fit. The most important thing, though, is that you choose a boot model that is appropriate for the skill level and size of your skater. It sounds like your skater is in "too much boot" now, which risks injury and can prevent progress. She'll be much happier in a boot that's not as stiff.

Regarding blades, I always recommend a Coronation Ace blade for skaters of your daughter's level--excellent for learning spins and jumps. Get the biggest blade that the boot will accomodate and it should last through at least two pairs of boots.

Lippylulu
04-10-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all the information. We live in NYC. Does Klingbiel have stock boots or just the custom made ones? Seems crazy to get customs for her age and level but I have heard these are great boots!!

dooobedooo
04-10-2006, 08:56 AM
If you ask around at your rink, you should be able to pick up a good secondhand pair from a similar youngster - ask parents and coaches and club officials. Secondhand skates are generally very cheap for the quality. Parents are usually pleased to see a little-used pair put to good use.
:)

Isk8NYC
04-10-2006, 08:56 AM
Klingbeils would be overkill for a low-level skater, unless you're going for the brag factor.

You can have the current skates stretched and/or heat-molded again at a pro shop, which will buy you time to make a less-hasty decision about the new pair. They may need to be ordered by the pro shop, so making do with the current skates now is a good idea.

If she likes the Jacksons, stick with them. Look at the Freestyle model, which should suffice.

Lippylulu
04-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Klingbeils would be overkill for a low-level skater, unless you're going for the brag factor.

You can have the current skates stretched and/or heat-molded again at a pro shop, which will buy you time to make a less-hasty decision about the new pair. If she likes the Jacksons, stick with them. Look at the Freestyle model, which should suffice.

No need for the brag factor here. I had no idea skates could be stretched or heat molded again (not even sure if these older models have that feature) so I will look into that. We got so lucky buying these skates used from ebay, though I am not sure we woud get so lucky again so I may consider that Freestyle model if we need to buy new.

Isk8NYC
04-10-2006, 10:17 AM
No insult intended - some people DO want the very best, and they're usually willing to share the good news! LOL

What model Jacksons is she wearing currently? There are a few spots on the web (other than ebay) to pick up used skates, but you have to know exactly what you're looking for, in terms of model and size. You can also talk to organizers at the skating club or rink where your daughter skates. Some clubs have "skate swaps" where you can pick up used skates, and most rinks have one or two people who handle "consignments" to help people sell their kids' outgrown stuff. It's a great bargain, since kids outgrow skates before they break down.

There are quite a few good pro shops in NYC and nearby NJ if you need to buy new. What part of the City are you from?

No need for the brag factor here. I had no idea skates could be stretched or heat molded again (not even sure if these older models have that feature) so I will look into that. We got so lucky buying these skates used from ebay, though I am not sure we woud get so lucky again so I may consider that Freestyle model if we need to buy new.

Lippylulu
04-10-2006, 11:01 AM
What model Jacksons is she wearing currently? There
There are quite a few good pro shops in NYC and nearby NJ if you need to buy new. What part of the City are you from?

I don't know what model these Jacksons are since they are older and the markings are all rubbed out. The previous owner was heavy into competition and from a wealthy family so I have a feeling that whatever they are they were expensive! All I know is they are leather and have a black stacked leather heal. Her coach says they are very good skates and we got a steal on them, especially with practically new Sheffield blades.

We are in Staten Island which only has one tiny pro shop. We may need to look for skating options off Staten Island if she is to pursue this seriously as our only year round rink is more oriented to hockey and has very limited open figure skating times. We could go to a pro shop in NJ or Brooklyn easily. We might even look for a private coach for her in NJ but I don't even know where to start. Thanks!

fmh
04-10-2006, 03:28 PM
I think she should get new skates, i was wearing skates that were really small for me for a while, even though they didn't really hurt my feet. two disadvantages to that were:
-i developped some bad habits (scratchy jumps...)
-it took longer to get used to my new ones because they were so much bigger

It;s your choice...they might not really be that small on her

AW1
04-10-2006, 07:51 PM
I am going through a similar situation at the moment with my daughter. She's a few months shy of 5yrs old but had an accident recently where she severed the end of her big toe off. I've been discussing this with her coach since the toe and grafted skin is very very tender and her other boots (only bought at christmas time) are a snug fit.

She said to get her to stand in the boots unlaced and ask her to push her foot as far forward as she can. Then ask her to bend at the knee. If you can fit your index finger down the back between her heel and the skate, then there's no need to go up a size - that's the correct size for a growing child. If however you can't do this, you may need to look at a new pair.

Hope that helps. :yum:

dbny
04-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Lippylulu - check your Private Messages!

Lippylulu
04-13-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks for all the tips on new skates. We were in NJ today so we stopped by the Ice House. It seems my daughter doesn't need new skates at all! We were helped by a very knowledgable young man (I think Stephen) who showed me how the lower laces were too tight, and how she should kick her heal into place..and then the skates fit great!. We were so impressed that he gave such good advice when he could have easily sold us an expensive pair of skates. We got her skates sharpened but it seems we won't be buying new skates anytime soon. When we do, I think we will go for the Jackson Freestyles.

Isk8NYC
04-14-2006, 06:34 AM
This is what we look for in a good pro shop - the guy/gal who's willing to sacrifice a quick sale for the long-term good will win. It's a very smart customer relations move - if you don't need new skates right now, the sale will most likely come back when you're ready. In the meantime, you've told two friends (and then some) about your positive experience. He gets PR and perhaps some extra business from doing the right thing.