View Full Version : Recreational beginner - Roces ice skates?

celticgarden
04-09-2006, 07:06 PM
My son is in Basic 2, he is 9 years old. He has been using the arena skates that are normally rentals...a figure skate size 4. I am looking into getting him a pair of skates and skate.com had the Roces boot skates slightly discounted....only I cannot find any info about this style of skate. I am not expecting him to progress into competetive skating, he is just learning for fun. Has anyone heard anything about these boot style skates? They are Italian with an adjustable shell that is advertised to allow 4 sizes of use...an attractive prospect to the parent of a growing boy. I will stick with Riedells for my 5yo daughter as she is showing some skill and interest for her tender age. Advice?

Thanks, Linda

Isk8NYC
04-09-2006, 09:15 PM
I've never heard of Roces. There is at least one person from Italy who posts here, maybe she'll reply.

If you look through similar "What skates should I buy..." threads on this forum and the "On Ice" forum, you'll find many different recommendations based on location, skater size/weight, and foot width.

Good luck.

twokidsskatemom
04-09-2006, 09:49 PM
I have never heard of them either. Risport is the only brand I have heard of from there.
Good luck !!

dbny
04-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Don't get anything with a plastic shell. They restrict knee bend.

celticgarden
04-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Well, for better or for worse I got them...we are going today to get them sharpened at the local rink. Then we shall see what we shall see! Now i am looking at sewing patterns for skate dresses...looks like DD will get dresses after all!

Linda

luckeylasvegas
04-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Try specialtysportswear.com

icemomma
04-30-2006, 08:12 AM
I've seen lots of kids at my rink with these skates. Most of them are purely recreational and only take lessons for a session or two a year. The kids seem to skate fine and have no problems. Me, personally, I don't like the look of them, but that's just me. Your son should be fine with them as long as they fit his foot.
:)

Isk8NYC
04-30-2006, 12:58 PM
I've had kids with the hard-plastic shell skates in my group lessons and found that they can't bend their knees or press forward. It prevents them from doing one-foot glides easily and turning since there's no "give" from side to side.

Good luck.