View Full Version : I can actually jump

sue123
04-07-2006, 03:59 PM
This is something I learned today when nobody else was on the ice. Well, one other guy breaking in his hockey skates, but he was just skating on the perimeter. SO the center was completely free and full of my tracings. So I did a waltz jump, and I can actually see the distance between where I jumped and landed. Not just a couple inches, but a noticeable stop and start. Then I tried a salchow and toe loop, same thing. You can see where I jumped and where I landed. I always thought when I jumped, I stayed in the same place. But now I know I;m actually not.

Granted, being able to see all my tracings also meant I saw that my landing edge was a bit wobbly, but hey, it takes time to become perfect. I always tried to find my tracings, but it was hard to do when you're skating over other people's traacings. Nothing like a bit of confidence to make you feel good.

Course, the alternating three turn pattern which is currently giving me headaches is another story entirely :giveup:

NickiT
04-07-2006, 04:07 PM
That's great news Sue. Tracings are an invaluable part of learning in skating. Also very frustrating when you can see a part on the tracing that shouldn't be there or is a little off, but when it's possible to see the tracings I often check back on mine. You can learn a lot from them!

Nicki

beachbabe
04-07-2006, 04:48 PM
I totally get you about the tracings. I ahve to see them most of the time to be able to tell my mistakes even when coach points them out. I usually ask my coach to look for the tracing and draw over it in marker so i can see.

congrats on your jumps:D , Its always nice to see yourself doing well. I find that on most of my videos that my mom made i actually jump much higher and further than i can feel...which is a good thing.