View Full Version : Looking to make a playlist

Mercedeslove
04-05-2006, 01:28 AM
I'm looking to make a playlist for songs I can listen too in my iPod before I skate while warming up. Maybe even sometimes when I skate....any suggestions?

So far I have World's Grestest by R Kelly and Ice Skating at night by the Ocean Blue

Mrs Redboots
04-05-2006, 03:30 AM
Totally depends on what sort of music you like, of course! Personally, I like easy listening and songs from musicals with a well-defined beat that I can skate to - some fast, some slower. And some music or songs that I could never do justice to in a million years, but what fun to imagine one might ("Anthem" from Chess springs to mind).

But that sort of selection would leave other people feeling utterly sick, I do know....

Mercedeslove
04-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Well I want a good mix so it really doesn't matter. Anything from heavy metal to classical that would work. I'm not that picky really.

Just no fall out boy or taking back Sunday. The kids around me have played the heck out of it.

icedancer2
04-05-2006, 02:10 PM
I am currently making a playlist to play at my rink. I am including mostly music that I have liked from other skaters skating to it (like exhibition numbers, some competition programs. It has Johnny's "Otonal" music, Stephane Lambiel's "Spanish Caravan" from last years SP, "You're Beautiful" by James Blount ("clean" radio version), "Si Tu Nos Estas" and "Casi Un Bolero" (from a piece that Ilia and KAtia did at SOI one year) and I just recently added Rimsky-Korsokov's "Capricio-Espanol Op. 34" parts of which Torville and Dean used for their infamous "Paso Doble" at the '84 Olympics.

There are some other things I want to add, like the Romeo and Juliet piece that Sasha Cohen used this year for her LP and exhibition program, maybe "Elite Syncopations" -- Scott Joplin piece that was used by Wilson and McCall, Torville and Dean and this year, Jamie Sale and David Pellitier at SOI...

Lots of good skating music out there. It will take me a while to really put this together and I keep getting new ideas all of the time.

One year after COI a girl from my rink made a CD from all of the music that was used by each skater. It was really fun to skate to because we were reminded of all of that great skating every time we listened to and skated to it!

doubletoe
04-05-2006, 02:26 PM
What an inspirational playlist! How did you get the music from the skaters' programs, assuming each was edited specifically for the program?

icedancer2
04-05-2006, 02:35 PM
What an inspirational playlist! How did you get the music from the skaters' programs, assuming each was edited specifically for the program?

That would be too great!!

They were the un-edited versions, downloaded from itunes or whatever...

It takes some diggign and it is not "perfect" but sometimes the editing cuts on the program music is a little weird, so somehow the music is more complete (although I have to tell you, that Rimsky-Korsokov piece was HEAVILY edited by the T&D team!!).

doubletoe
04-05-2006, 03:19 PM
That would be too great!!

They were the un-edited versions, downloaded from itunes or whatever...

It takes some diggign and it is not "perfect" but sometimes the editing cuts on the program music is a little weird, so somehow the music is more complete (although I have to tell you, that Rimsky-Korsokov piece was HEAVILY edited by the T&D team!!).

Oh, got it. BTW, if you want to know where to find the piece that constitutes the bulk of Sasha Cohen's Romeo & Juliet program, it's track #19 on the 2002 re-release of the soundtrack, performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic. I know because I am skating to it. ;) After I chose and edited the music, I found out Sasha was skating to it, but a very different cut of it. Then she re-edited it and now it sounds almost exactly like mine, so I'm sure I'll have to deal with people assuming I'm trying to copy her, LOL! Anyway, here's the CD:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000066SF9/sr=8-1/qid=1144266296/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-7924621-9987321?%5Fencoding=UTF8#moreAboutThisProduct

icedancer2
04-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Oh, got it. BTW, if you want to know where to find the piece that constitutes the bulk of Sasha Cohen's Romeo & Juliet program, it's track #19 on the 2002 re-release of the soundtrack, performed by the City of Prague Philharmonic. I know because I am skating to it. ;) After I chose and edited the music, I found out Sasha was skating to it, but a very different cut of it. Then she re-edited it and now it sounds almost exactly like mine, so I'm sure I'll have to deal with people assuming I'm trying to copy her, LOL! Anyway, here's the CD:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000066SF9/sr=8-1/qid=1144266296/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-7924621-9987321?%5Fencoding=UTF8#moreAboutThisProduct

Thanks -- this is very helpful information.

Have fun with your program!!:)

doubletoe
04-05-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks -- this is very helpful information.

Have fun with your program!!:)

Thanks! By the way, I just had to mention that every time I see your tagline about trees & cancer & guacamole I crack up. :bow:

Casey
04-08-2006, 02:00 AM
I tend to like songs from The Silent Force (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silent_Force) album by Within Temptation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Within_Temptation) when I skate - it gets me to skate harder. :)

But I haven't been skating much in ages...need to get back into it. :(

SDFanatic
04-08-2006, 09:39 AM
I like things with beats, most of my stuff is classical form the "hooked on" series, I also have a few slecetions from my jazz teacher that she used for warmups. Other then that I have a few oldies, and some newer stuff, and just for fun, the chicken dance (thats always a crowd pleaser on public sessions)

I've been trying to re-do mine also as I find myself always putting on the same songs and most people detest classical music.

I did pick up Ken Griffin, I really like some of his organ works.

Steven

icedancer2
04-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Thanks! By the way, I just had to mention that every time I see your tagline about trees & cancer & guacamole I crack up. :bow:

thanks -- I saw it on the back of a bus one day here in Portland, OR. It was on an advertisement for the World Forestry Center. :)

I always wonder if anyone notices the sig line.8O