View Full Version : Best way to learn

Tinkerbell
04-04-2006, 05:36 AM
Hi, all. :D

Another rank beginner here to ask for your guidance. Well, maybe "rank" is too extreme a term. I bought my first pair of skates and started working out at the rink once or twice a week 2 months ago.

The thing is, I work the vampire shift as a nurse, random days of the week(end) so, even though there are 4 days a week I don't have to work, finding time just to get to the rink before it closes is sometimes hard. The thing is, I find myself suddenly determined to be there every day I'm not at work or otherwise engaged, and obsessed with the idea of learning to skate.

Which--all of it--is a complete shift for me. A shift from being aware that we have two ice rinks in Austin, Texas and being even more vaguely aware that it is possible to learn how to skate, to realizing that there is a whole world out there for me just opening up (and threatening to swallow me whole). It's quite overwhelming and wildly exciting.

The day I realized that it was not unreasonable to think that I could own my own pair of skates was the day something in me shifted gears in a BIG way.

Anyway, enough poetry.

The point is, I work odd hours and looking at the schedule for classes at the rink, the probability of being able to take lessons did (and does) seem unlikely at this moment in time. I have two other one-hour commitments that I have to block out free time for and three would just be impossible.

So, here's what I did. I hope you won't totally blow milk out of your nose at the absurdity of this one. I bought a book. The review on Amazon.com, of the, now out-of-print, The Essential Figure Skater with a picture of Kristi Yamaguchi on the cover, assures me that its a good one to have. However, I had trouble believing that a book could teach me to skate, for real.

I christened a new journal for the purpose of chronicling my journey, glued in a photo of my new skates (and several of Sasha Cohen) for encouragement and have been surprised to learn that I could learn from a book if I took it word for word and tried to remember what I'd seen on tv/what the other skaters (who do take lessons) were doing.

At the current moment I am working on forward and backward pumping with a focus on figuring out how to get my left foot to do anything useful at all in a back pump, forward crossovers, one foot gliding, two foot turns, and trying not to be so terrified of the idea of the three turn anywhere but clinging to the side. I have also experimented with mohawks and am figuring out that t-stops and forward stroking work my inner thighs in a way they just don't feel good about yet.

The problem is, at this point in my basic skills self-education, I am beginning to really crave some feedback, validation and tough-love direction from someone other than the negative voices in my head. And I'm not sure what to do about that.

I think that I am beginning to be scarily commited to learning this sport but the way things are going it could be months before I have the chance to take a class for real.

Would it be a good thing to do to try to find a private coach? I see them out there coaching the young kids in basic skills sometimes. What kind of money would I end up spending if I did? And, more to the point, how would I find one? Do they operate through the skating rink or do you seek them out somewhere else? I guess I'm not sure I know how to go about propositioning someone to teach me to skate.

At this point, though every session leaves me with a feeling of vague dissatisfaction with my progress, I'm starting to feel like the sky is pretty much the limit. I feel like the old lady there sometimes but then, I'm only 26 and a lot of the adult beginners are a lot older than that.

Anyhow, Hi to all and I hope to get some feedback. :bow:

Mrs Redboots
04-04-2006, 06:24 AM
Would it be a good thing to do to try to find a private coach? I see them out there coaching the young kids in basic skills sometimes. What kind of money would I end up spending if I did? And, more to the point, how would I find one? Do they operate through the skating rink or do you seek them out somewhere else? I guess I'm not sure I know how to go about propositioning someone to teach me to skate. Yes, getting a coach is almost essential, as it's all too easy to learn things wrong from books. Even if you can only have one 15-minute lesson a month, it's worth having.

If I were you, I'd ask at the box office about signing up for lessons; they will know, and can probably page one of the coaches to come and speak to you. You can enquire about prices and stuff then, and explain about your schedule, but I'm sure they'll be quite used to that.

Best of luck, and welcome to the best sport in the world!

VegasGirl
04-04-2006, 07:00 AM
Ofcourse private lessons would be your best bet, but in the mean time you might be able to get some feedback from other skaters around you.

Isk8NYC
04-04-2006, 07:50 AM
Talk to the skating director at the rink. She can give you the price range for private lessons and recommend an instructor, preferably one who enjoys working with adult skaters. In my area, instructors range from $30 - $50 per 30 minute lesson.

You definitely need an instructor. A book or video can only tell you what to do right. An instructor can tell you what you're doing that's wrong and "fix" the problems to improve your skating.

BTW, the back pumps are really hard if you're dead-set on keeping your feet even with each other. (ie. next to one another.) In reality, one foot carries your weight while the other "motors" you along doing the pumps.

Practice gliding on two feet, then letting one foot slide beyond the other foot. [Since you're going backwards, the "free" foot will be beyond the toe of the skating foot.]

Once you're comfortable with that, think of drawing a question mark from that extended position out to the side (heel first), then close the mark by bringing the feet together.

Need I say it? BEND YOUR KNEES! Good luck

Rusty Blades
04-04-2006, 09:07 AM
A coach is definately the way to go! Not only will she (he) be able to guide you in your skating but will probably also know the best times and places to pick up casual ice for odd-hour lessons.

Welcome to the ranks of the obcessed! I am told that the obcession eventually goes away (in 60 to 80 years) 8O

flippet
04-04-2006, 02:44 PM
Absolutely, private lessons would be ideal for you. There may very well be a coach or three who would be more than happy to give you a lesson any time you're available, with a little advance notice. You don't always have to commit to a particular time or schedule. As Annabel said, even one lesson a month would be beneficial.

garyc254
04-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Ah yes, I remember my obsession too.

As the others have said, private lessons are the best. Group lessons are okay.

Get to know the other skaters at your rinks. You'll often find they are more than willing to pass along the lessons and tips they've learned. Plus it makes skating more social and fun.

Learning what the basics are from a book is good (hey, I bought Figure Skating for Dummies when I started skating), but it won't make you a skater.

Many of us adult skaters are limited in the availability of ice time because of work and home duties. I can only get in two sessions a week.

Even with a coach, progress can often be frustrating so cut yourself a break and be happy with the things you do correctly. New elements will come in time.

8-)

Rusty Blades
04-04-2006, 03:14 PM
At this point, though every session leaves me with a feeling of vague dissatisfaction with my progress

Hum . . . I feel like that after every session. It helps to back up and take a larger view and see how far I have progressed in the last 30 days or 90 days.

I feel like the old lady there sometimes

I feel like that ALL the time - most of the coaches are young enough to be my daughters and most of the skaters to be my grand daughters!

a lot of the adult beginners are a lot older than that

Yes, like 30 years older!

I have ordered "Moves in the Field" DVD from PSA. It is supposed to be REALLY good and may help with your "self-study" - can't comment because mine hasn't come in yet.

I'm a dunce and need to see things again and again over a period of time for it to "stick". I tried putting my coach on PAUSE but she keeps falling over 8O so I am hoping the DVD set will help me get the details of each move through my thick skull. Although they aren't cheap, they might help you to if you are doing a lot of stuff on your own.

Tinkerbell
04-04-2006, 03:56 PM
Wow! :o
Thanks so much for the warm welcome and for all the tips.

It sounds like getting a coach would be the way to go. Ideally, I would like to take classes, but, like I said, the concreteness of that 10AM Saturday class (especially when I can't usually fling myself into bed until 6 or 7 in the morning) is just too much.

I have done some careful scanning of the website for the local ice rink and though it mentions classes, it doesn't mention private lessons. I was never sure if the coaches for those little kids had a contract with the rink or if they were privately acquired and just used the rink to teach (sort of like the anesthesiologists at our hospital). I suppose I will learn nothing unless I ask.

Get to know the other skaters at your rinks. You'll often find they are more than willing to pass along the lessons and tips they've learned. Plus it makes skating more social and fun.

I would love to do that. And every time I see an adult skater out there (beginner or advanced) I have the urge to grab them and ask them what they know. That's how I figured out about gel pads. The demographic there, unfortuately, on the days I prefer to skate (because there is actually enough room to skate) is generally between 4 and 12 best I can tell and I'm having trouble imagining that kind of conversation.

Once you're comfortable with that, think of drawing a question mark from that extended position out to the side (heel first), then close the mark by bringing the feet together.

The thing is, and this brings to mind another question, my first goal in skating, ever--besides DON'T FALL DOWN--was to skate backwards. And the first day I went out there I felt like my legs were paralysed in that way. Within one or two sessions, though, I had figured out, essentially, how to pump backwards, against the wall. I didn't know what I was doing but I was moving back. And employing all those tips listed above. Currently I'd say I am pretty good at it. Though, inately, I have this fear of drifting too far away from the wall because I tend to be clumsy and unobservant IN STREET SHOES and I'm afraid I will hit someone.

When I started working on the book, it instructed me to find a hockey circle and do pumps. Let me tell you how many minutes it took just to figure out what they were saying! A coach would definately be less time consuming, I think. Anyway. It said pump forward counterclockwise. Which I dutifully did. And then it said go clockwise. And I realized I had no idea how to use my left foot. And THEN I realized, when I turned myself around on the circle to go back that I can pump just fine using my right foot but I could not move if a bull was chasing me when I tried to pump backwards counterclockwise using my left foot.

For one, I could NOT make my right foot stop moving. It knows how to pump.

Anyway, as it stands, I have gotten to where I can still the right foot and if I PUSH myself along the wall I can MAKE my left foot clumsily pump.

So the question is, how reasonable is it to expect myself to be perfectly proficient in all things on both feet/directions/etc? Is that sort of essential cornerstone of skating or is it not uncommon for beginning skaters to favor one side over another and not develop the other until later?

Okay. Off to get dressed and hit the rink for a little while. I had an epiphany last night about the three turn and I want to try it out. Maybe I'll wear gloves this time.

garyc254
04-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Another product worthy of noting is "Spenco Adhesive Knit". If you tend to get blisters in an area, this is the cure. They are very thin sheets that can be cut oversized (leave lots of extra for adhesion) to fit over a hot spot. They act like teflon. It also stays on for a long time. I used to put a fresh cut strip on my instep for my Monday evening skate. Left it on through my Wednesday and Thursday evening skates. I would finally peel it off Sunday evening.

Depending on how your rinks are run, the coaches there may or may not work for the rink. Most private coaches are independent operators.

Tinkerbell
04-04-2006, 04:21 PM
If you tend to get blisters in an area, this is the cure.

Mostly, it was a problem I was having with the tongue of the boot, in its un-broken in state, digging into my shin. I could see an indentation and even a little swelling and it felt like a bruise. Since the boots are more broken in, and I've been using the gel pads, it's much better. Before that, I was wrapping my ankle in athletic foam tape that goes under tape, typically. It kind of worked but these Bunga pads are so easy and nice and squishy.

You definitely need an instructor. A book or video can only tell you what to do right. An instructor can tell you what you're doing that's wrong and "fix" the problems to improve your skating.

That's deninately what I was hoping for. I'm horribly embarrased about the idea of looking like an idiot out there because I read the book wrong.

LauraLa
04-04-2006, 08:44 PM
The demographic there, unfortuately, on the days I prefer to skate (because there is actually enough room to skate) is generally between 4 and 12 best I can tell and I'm having trouble imagining that kind of conversation.
I started skating five weeks ago, and am really enjoying it. I wanted to comment on the kids...at first they scared me, because they zip around and they're so good, and I had no idea how to talk to them or if I even should.

But, interestingly enough, the more outgoing ones have started talking to me. For instance, I was skating on a public session last night and a girl who is probably 7 or 8 whizzed by and said that she noticed that at the previous session I was at, that when I fell I was really good at not hurting myself and at getting up quickly. She then impressed upon me that knowing how to fall is very important. (I'm learning forward crossovers right now, so the night in question was my first time trying them, and I was falling all over the place. I haven't fallen since then, though!)

I think if you look like you are having fun and that you are also working on your skating, and if you look approachable and nice, the kids will start talking to you -- and they will be more than glad to give away all kinds of advice (for good or bad).

I'm all excited, now, because I've passed the same level of basic skills that the four-year-olds at the rink learn :-) And I'm 41 :-)

Tinkerbell
04-04-2006, 10:30 PM
This is so awesome I just had to come share it!

First of all, apparently the private coaches at our rink don't work for the rink. However, the guy at the register pointed me to some business cards. So, sometime soon I think I will be making some calls.

It's interesting, though, how things just sort of seem to come together. Also, it's interesting what little things I get a kick out of. My frantic desire for a coach must have been just seeping from my pores today. There is this older man that I've seen once or twice at the rink who skates around spinning and jumping like he knows what he is doing. He's not a coach as far as I know. But I was practicing my forward crossovers at one point and unexpectedly, I heard, from behind me, "Bend your knees."

And suddenly I was getting an impromptu lesson in proper crossover position. I was so excited I had to hold myself back from squeeing with delight at his generous assistance. I really need a coach.

Like what was mentioned before, it was so helpful to have someone look at what I am trying to do and have interpreted from the book, and have them say This is what to do to improve it.

It also helped me realize A) That maybe I don't have to be so afraid of trying things out (maybe I won't fall) and B)That the very fact of focusing on what someone else is telling me to do not only helps me learn that particular skill but is also, incredibly helpful in distracting me from THINKING so much about every move my foot makes. Sometimes I think I'm a lot more cautious and less stable on my feet because I'm thinking about what I'm doing with my feet and focusing on how I could loose my balance.

Having someone watch and critique me did put a different sort of pressure on me, though, that I hadn't felt before. It was, at once, satisfying and unsettling. I kept feeling like I was going to let down this kind stranger if I didn't figure out what he was trying to explain to me, right away.

But, interestingly enough, the more outgoing ones have started talking to me. For instance, I was skating on a public session last night and a girl who is probably 7 or 8 whizzed by and said that she noticed that at the previous session I was at, that when I fell I was really good at not hurting myself and at getting up quickly.

Maybe this will happen to me too. Some of them do talk to me. Mostly the little ones who don't yet know how to skate but want, just as much, for someone to watch them and give them praise. The only other time one of the little skaters came up to me it was to ask me what I was trying to do. I couldn't figure out where she was coming from with that question and was horrified to realize that I had no idea what I was trying to do at that moment, and told her as much.

On a side note, I'm impressed at your boldness. I've only fallen one time since I started trying to learn to skate and even though I learned at that moment that it's not so bad, I did have a pretty huge bruise on my knee for about a week after that. Since then I've been pretty cautious about things. I think that means I might never be a good skater. I prefer to convince myself, though, that it is possible to learn things without falling too often by erring towards not doing anything harder than I feel comfortable with. Which has somehow worked for me. I have, however, become somewhat too dependent on the wall when I'm unsure of myself.

The only time in my life that I ever broke a bone was at a rollerskating rink when I was 16. I think it's made me a little gun shy.

Isk8NYC
04-05-2006, 07:42 AM
First of all, apparently the private coaches at our rink don't work for the rink. However, the guy at the register pointed me to some business cards. So, sometime soon I think I will be making some calls.

At most rinks in our area, the skating instructors are considered independent contractors, not rink employees. When we teach group lessons, we're paid by the rink but they don't withhold money for taxes. At the end of the year, we get a 1099 form instead of a W2.

When we teach private lessons, we collect the payment ourselves. Many rinks require that we pay a commission for using their ice time. (Between 10 and 20% here) Some rinks require us to pay for our ice time, which is just a different type of commission, IMO. Either way, they're both business expenses.

Each rink should have a Skating Director. He or she is the person who coordinates the group lesson program, freestyle sessions, and the skating instructors. The director also passes along the private lesson requests to instructors based on his/her knowledge of the student (age, gender, etc) and the instructor (skills, experience, availability). It would be better for you to talk to the Director rather than picking a name off a wall of business cards. The best way is to talk to other skaters/parents about the different instructors, and observe their teaching before you commit.

You can also ask the Skating Director about scheduling. There are skating Clubs that rent the ice from the rink for lessons and special sessions. While a beginner doesn't belong on the freestyle, I know of some clubs that have beginner classes on their ice time separate from the rink's group lesson program.

Once you've decided on an instructor, set up the first few lessons as a trial period. That way, if you don't like his/her teaching methods or something, you don't feel "stuck."

Glad you're excited - hope it works out great!

doubletoe
04-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Here's another idea: If you work the night shift and go to bed at 6-7am, would it be possible for you to skate BEFORE you go to bed? Most rinks have early morning freestyle sessions starting at 5:30 or 6:00am, since a lot of kids practice and take private lessons before school. I take my private lessons at 6:30am, but there are people there practicing and taking lessons even an hour before that!
So you may want to find out when the earliest weekday freestyle session is at your rink, then go watch one and see if you can get contact information from each of the coaches when the session is done. If one of them would be willing to teach you on that session, you should consider it!

gt20001
04-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Hi there i know where you are coming from i just started skating 4 months ago myself and i too am 25 and i tried getting a book as well i found it to be hard to learn by but i still look at them sometimes. I was having extreme difficulty when i first started with even simple things like swizzles which looked extremely easy but they were so hard to do. I looked into group classes and i had a bad schedule at the time as well and i couldnt take them so about my second week into skating i went up to one of the coaches at my rink and asked her if she could start giving me lessons. I didnt call the rink i just looked at the coaches on the rink and asked one of them. They ususally charge 30 dollars for 30 minutes some less experineced coaches can teach beginners and charge less. In my opinion this was the best decision that i could have made some of the things i thought i was doing right an dwas having difficulty with became so easy when the coach showed me the right way to do it and doing it with a private coach you can sometimes progress faster than group lessons in group sometimes there are alot of people and little time for the instructor to spend with you. also i did a month after i started added group lessons to my privates and the group instructors that we had that tought the lower levels werent very good they let people get away with poor technique and didnt even tell them they were doing it wrong and got passed not being able to do the elements and now are having more trouble in the next level. If yopu get a good private coach you will probably learn better technique and faster than if you do it yourself or in group lessons a major caution in teaching yourself is if you teach yourself bad habits it may be hard to unlearn them later when you get ready to take from a coach. Also if you plan on competing you will need a private coach anyway to help you put together a program and that is possible at your level i competed after just skating 3 months. Since i got the private coach now i am doing all my half jumps, so so spinning, working on my single jumps, can do all of the stuff in the usfsa basic skills 1-8 and freestyle 1. My coach helped me put together a good program for my next competition and am going to try and test pre bronze this summer. This is my personal experience i think the private coach was a very wise decision in my part and i am not going back near those darn group lessons anymore it was a waste of money i wasnt getting anything out of the the private coach was soo much better. Hope any of this helps you.

gt20001
04-05-2006, 05:16 PM
[QUOTE=Tinkerbell]

On a side note, I'm impressed at your boldness. I've only fallen one time since I started trying to learn to skate and even though I learned at that moment that it's not so bad, I did have a pretty huge bruise on my knee for about a week after that. Since then I've been pretty cautious about things. I think that means I might never be a good skater. I prefer to convince myself, though, that it is possible to learn things without falling too often by erring towards not doing anything harder than I feel comfortable with. Which has somehow worked for me. I have, however, become somewhat too dependent on the wall when I'm unsure of myself.

I know that falling can be scary i was afraid of it at first as well one thing that us adults can do that is extremely helpfull and can help you from getting hurt and increase your confidense is wear wrist guards and elbow pads and knee pads you can wear them under your clothes so that no one sees if you dont want to look silly. i do that i stopped wearing my elbow pads for a while and i was working on back 3 s and i smacked my elbow good and got a nasty bruise which took like 2 weeks to fully heal i put the pads back on and didnt have that problem anymore. Not falling does tend to hinder you sometimes i personally just go for it i fall about 15 times a session sometimes more i dont ifall on the things i already know usually but when i am working on a new jump or move i spend more time on the ice it seems but rarely do i ever get even a bruise the only injury i have sustained thus far was from my boots not from falling although i do give my coach spaz attacks every lesson she says i make her so nervous she is afraid i am going to kill myself. The most important thingis to just let the fall happen if you dont tense up it doesnt hurt as much the worst falls are probably the dreaded toe pick falls i hate those. After you do a little more falling you may find it easier and that it doesnt tend to hurt as much.

jshbo724
04-05-2006, 06:13 PM
8O This is a bit off topic............ but looking at how much you guys pay for lessons, I'm glad I live in the mid-west where lessons are cheap!!! I only pay $12 per 30 minutes from my coach!!! Which is amazing compared to the prices I've seen on here........... LOL. I don't know how you guys do it. 8O

~Jess

beachbabe
04-05-2006, 06:19 PM
8O This is a bit off topic............ but looking at how much you guys pay for lessons, I'm glad I live in the mid-west where lessons are cheap!!! I only pay $12 per 30 minutes from my coach!!! Which is amazing compared to the prices I've seen on here........... LOL. I don't know how you guys do it. 8O

~Jess

luckyyyyy, round here its min. $1/minute. And thats not with the best coaches.

Tinkerbell
04-05-2006, 06:19 PM
It would be better for you to talk to the Director rather than picking a name off a wall of business cards. The best way is to talk to other skaters/parents about the different instructors, and observe their teaching before you commit.

Well, actually, I only saw 3 business cards on that wall and I guess they must all be instructors for the classes as well. They were all women. Most of the coaches out on the ice, that I see, are men. I guess they don't advertise.

I was trying to think who the skating director would be but I guess I already talked to her, via email, earlier about classes. I suppose I should email her back and find out if she knows anything good.

Once you've decided on an instructor, set up the first few lessons as a trial period. That way, if you don't like his/her teaching methods or something, you don't feel "stuck."

How does one get "stuck"? Do you have to sign a contract or something?
Also, with what kind of frequency would you expect a beginner, like me, to take lessons? I was thinking at the very most once a week. Maybe every other week. How committed to this coach do I become after the first few lessons? Besides just my own sense of loyalty.

I take my private lessons at 6:30am, but there are people there practicing and taking lessons even an hour before that!

That's certainly an idea. I'm not sure if it's possible, though. They have an old schedule up on the website but I don't think they have anything available before 10AM. And the freestyle classes seem to be in the evening. I'll have to check if I'm missing anything.

Still though, I try to avoid doing stuff that late in the day (for me). It sort of feels like getting dressed and going to take a class at midnight or something. Maybe I'll just have to get over that. I just worry that I'll be too tired to do anything that late.

I know that falling can be scary i was afraid of it at first as well one thing that us adults can do that is extremely helpfull and can help you from getting hurt and increase your confidense is wear wrist guards and elbow pads and knee pads you can wear them under your clothes so that no one sees if you dont want to look silly.

I know, I know. I really should. I keep telling myself that when I start to learn harder stuff I'll wear some protective gear. I've always been a very cautious person. I notice that every time I get on the ice with someone who isn't but doesn't know how to skate well. They seem to immediately drift away from the wall and just start trying. I am litterally still stuck to the wall if I don't feel comfortable with something I'm doing.
I guess I'm trying an approach wherein I build every new element on itself until I can see, in my mind, what it is that I want to do and feel that my body understands it before I do it.
This may be a total cop out but I was like that with rollerblading, too. Though, A)I never was a really great rollerblader and B)Concrete is a lot less forgiving than ice.
I just hate falling, so much. Or, I hate that slippery loss of balance feeling that preceeds it--like being at the top of a rollercoaster.

Also if you plan on competing you will need a private coach anyway to help you put together a program and that is possible at your level i competed after just skating 3 months. Since i got the private coach now i am doing all my half jumps, so so spinning, working on my single jumps, can do all of the stuff in the usfsa basic skills 1-8 and freestyle 1.

That is really encouraging to hear. I don't know if I plan on competing but you're only two months ahead of me and working on SINGLE JUMPS? That's pretty awesome. I can only hope to get there.

One more question for the experts. How does the advancement work if you aren't in a class? I feel that I've sort of slipped through the cracks in terms of the ordinary scheme of things. I just barely understand this. So, do the coaches test you and then you are promoted up to a different level? And if that is the case, would that mean that the Basic and Freestyle levels are a title for your skill level rather than a class level you would take? This is kind of different than ballet.

Also, what do I need to know about the USFSA? Do you have to become a part of this, as a member? I assume at some point, yes. But how and when? And is this about to become really expensive? :D

Okay. Thanks for the help. I have to got to work now.

Isk8NYC
04-05-2006, 09:39 PM
8O This is a bit off topic............ but looking at how much you guys pay for lessons, I'm glad I live in the mid-west where lessons are cheap!!! I only pay $12 per 30 minutes from my coach!!! Which is amazing compared to the prices I've seen on here........... LOL. I don't know how you guys do it. 8O ~Jess

I used to pay that much back ($12/30m) when I took lessons in NJ in the 1980's. You're very lucky.

Isk8NYC
04-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Well, actually, I only saw 3 business cards on that wall and I guess they must all be instructors for the classes as well. They were all women. Most of the coaches out on the ice, that I see, are men. I guess they don't advertise. You're probably right. Many coaches don't want to put their name or number out for just anyone to see.

I was trying to think who the skating director would be but I guess I already talked to her, via email, earlier about classes. I suppose I should email her back and find out if she knows anything good. Call the rink. I think that a conversation on the phone or in person would be better than email tag. You'll need to ask/answer a few questions to get good information. [ADDED:] The best time to call is about 1/2 hour before or after group lessons are scheduled.

How does one get "stuck"? Do you have to sign a contract or something? Also, with what kind of frequency would you expect a beginner, like me, to take lessons? I was thinking at the very most once a week. Maybe every other week. How committed to this coach do I become after the first few lessons? Besides just my own sense of loyalty. I would say once a week is fine. I suggested a trial because some people feel uncomfortable stopping lessons. If you take 3-4 lessons and you don't like something, you can just end the trial with no hard feelings. I don't think there's any contracts for private lessons (ice time's different) so it's just a diplomacy move. Loyalty? Well, if you want to stop taking lessons, just tell the coach. If you want to take from a different coach (again, another trial) you should be the one to tell the original coach, before s/he hears it through the grapevine.

So, do the coaches test you and then you are promoted up to a different level? And if that is the case, would that mean that the Basic and Freestyle levels are a title for your skill level rather than a class level you would take? Correct on all points. Once you're beyond the Basic and FreeSKATE levels, you start taking more advanced tests, which are done during special sessions.

Also, what do I need to know about the USFSA? Do you have to become a part of this, as a member? I assume at some point, yes. But how and when? And is this about to become really expensive? :D Eventually, you'll want to join the ISI and/or the USFSA as a member to register your higher-level tests. You absolutely need that membership in order to compete. It's premature at this point, you just need information that's readily available on the Web. (Check out www.Sk8Stuff.com (http://www.Sk8Stuff.com) and the www.usfsa.org (http://www.usfsa.org) ) The Basic Skills skating school may let you register as one of their group lesson students for a small fee ($5) which gets you an ID card and a Basic Skills progress book.

It's not about to become "really expensive" because you control your own budget. Decide what's reasonable for you to spend and make a list of what you want to use the money for each month. At this point, ice time, lessons, and good skates are all you need to purchase. Fancy clothes aren't needed - just wear comfortable clothes that will let you move easily.

Tinkerbell
04-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Call the rink. I think that a conversation on the phone or in person would be better than email tag. You'll need to ask/answer a few questions to get good information.

Thanks. I'll do that. I finally found the right phone number. The only great hangup in my life regarding the phone is that it ends up becoming a game of tag either way because by the time I get up for the day, most people's office hours are over.
Maybe I'll get lucky and come across an answering machine that will tell me when is good to call.

I'm very excited about all of this.

gt20001
04-06-2006, 09:05 PM
no you dont signa contract. Starting out at once a week is a good idea and just progress it as you feel that you need to i started doing 1 30 minute a week lesson then i went to 2 lessons a week and now i am getting ready to try and up it to 4 times per week there is just so much i am trying to work on right now and need the extra time with the coach between working on moves in the field, the program for competition and spins and jumps there just isnt enough time. Start at once a week and take it from there you will know when you feel you need more time.[/I]

.One more question for the experts. How does the advancement work if you aren't in a class? I feel that I've sort of slipped through the cracks in terms of the ordinary scheme of things. I just barely understand this. So, do the coaches test you and then you are promoted up to a different level? And if that is the case, would that mean that the Basic and Freestyle levels are a title for your skill level rather than a class level you would take? This is kind of different than ballet. .[/QUOTE]

if you are taking private lessons with a private coach the levels arent really as important in the basic skills level your coach will give you harder things to work on as they feel you are ready and if you get ready to compete and you want to know what level to compete at (that is really where the level is important) ask your coach where she or he thinks you should compete and they will sign off on the application. After you get better you will test the pre bronze tests then bronze and so on and those are done in front of judges at a test session..

[/QUOTE]Also, what do I need to know about the USFSA? Do you have to become a part of this, as a member? I assume at some point, yes. But how and when? And is this about to become really expensive? :D .[/QUOTE]

I believe your coach can sign you up as a basic skills member if you are going to compete in a basic skills competition at a basic skills level. If you join as an individual member i think it is 75 per year and another way to do this is to join the local figure skating club that gives you more ice time plus a usfsa membership. There really is no need for a usfsa membership until you are ready to compete and test joining gives you testing and competing privleges

Tinkerbell
04-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Just a little update and a quick question about etiquite.

I called the skating director about a coach but eventually had to end up emailing her anyway because she says that's the best way to get in touch with her. Anyway, she passed my email along to several coaches she thought would work for me.

So far I have gotten one reply back. I'm thinking I'd like to just go ahead and talk to this lady who has replied so far and set up a trial lesson but I'm not sure how to word that. Is it rude to use the word "trial" with a potential coach or do they get that all the time? And how to you broach the subject of fees? I suppose direct is probably best, here. Also, if I find one I like and I get more responses from other coaches, should I tell them "Thanks but I found another coach"?

Thanks for the advice.

Skittl1321
04-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Tinkerbell- I would just say in your email that you do want to set up a lesson, as you are trying to find a coach who is a good fit for you. That way they know you are looking. I would see no problem in using the word trial, except that the coach might expect you are looking for a freebie.

When I emailed about private lessons I asked flat out "what are your rates"

I see no problem in telling a coach who emails later that you found another coach if you are happy with one you took a lesson with before they contacted you- but I'd tell them politely (and do tell them, don't leave them hanging) so you don't burn bridges when you might need to change coaches.

Tinkerbell
04-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Thanks. Very helpful advice.