View Full Version : Getting into a Sit Spin

SkatingOnClouds
04-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Not that I'm ready to try it yet, but I can feel it coming...

Going into a sit spin do you go into it like an upright, straighten the knee to centre the spin, then drop immediately to the sit position? Or, do you go into the sit from a low entry, swinging the free leg into position as you 3-turn?

luna_skater
04-03-2006, 12:15 AM
I go in more like the second way you describe. My entry is low, and when I get my leg around and in front and have my balance, I "sit" lower by bending my knee and ankle and leaning forward.

NickiT
04-03-2006, 03:28 AM
Definitely go straight into the sit spin position. Not sure if it's even possible to do it from an upright!

Nicki

tidesong
04-03-2006, 03:30 AM
I go straight into the sit with a low knee. Its alot easier that way. It should be possible to do it from an upright spin but it would be hard for me to do that.

Skate@Delaware
04-03-2006, 08:28 AM
This is something I've been working on for months....go in low from the very beginning. The lower, the better. Try for the "lunge" position, leaving the free leg behind at first (just a bit) and when it comes around, turn the heel so your toes point out. This has helped me the most.

Mostly just work at it (work is the key word).

Good luck!!!

NickiT
04-03-2006, 08:56 AM
Mostly just work at it (work is the key word).

Good luck!!!

I totally agree. There was a time when it looked futile. Even my coach admitted after I finally got it that she didn't think I'd ever get it. However I just plugged away at it over and over, and then one day I did a good one, a few weeks later another good one, and now.....it's my best and most consistent spin. Even the judges commented on my "nice" sit spin when I passed my NISA level 2 tests!

Nicki

sunshinepointe
04-03-2006, 09:17 AM
I used to do the "go in low" method but I found that I didn't get fast rotation and I also didn't center right. So now I enter like a regular upright, wait about half a turn to help get the center and then sit. Nice fast rotation and I feel so much more secure. And it centers almost every time. The sit spin is one of my favorites :mrgreen:

beachbabe
04-03-2006, 04:22 PM
well, i prefer to do a sit from a camel b/c its easier to balance, but doing it by iteself its better to go down low from the start. i can do it from upright, but i get no speed that way and like 3 revolutions total, where as i can get at least 8 by itself or from a camel. i try and jsut get low from the start, because you lose speed if you are trying to go down a little bit at a time because you are focusing so much on your height.

SkatingOnClouds
04-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Hmm, so it can be done either way. I am pretty sure that 20 years ago I went in from the upright position, that my old coach told me to do it that way because it centres the spin first. But so much has changed.

I see all the people at my rink who are learning and working on sit spins getting into a semi-squat position from which they never seem to get any lower. I can't see how you can lower yourself progressively unless you have incredibly strong muscles, I believe you have to get down quickly, whichever way you do it.

Getting into a lunge position is pretty hard for me as is maintaining a half-way bent position, because my knees are problematic. I figure a straight, fast drop from an upright may be easier on my knees and better balanced.

Those who do drop from an upright or a camel, any hints on the best way to maintain balance getting into the sit position while dropping?

Obviously I will talk to my coach about this and get her thoughts on it, but it is nice to hear other's experiences.

beachbabe
04-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Those who do drop from an upright or a camel, any hints on the best way to maintain balance getting into the sit position while dropping?

Obviously I will talk to my coach about this and get her thoughts on it, but it is nice to hear other's experiences.

from a camel: do it as quickly as you can with 1 swift controlled movement. Do it too slow and youll lose balance and speed. Keep your free leg as staraight as you can get it...bend and balance is gone. Tuck the arms in tight while still keeping them kind of on the leg. If your arms are all over the place you'll completely ruin the sit spin. Some people keep their arms stretched out in front, but I find it pushes me way to far over on my toepick so i keep them closer towards my body.

doubletoe
04-03-2006, 10:54 PM
For the sitspin entry from its own edge or from a camel, it's very important to extend your free leg way behind you before swinging it around and keep it extended and straight as you swing it smoothly but powerfully in a circle. Think of your free leg as a slingshot and your free foot as the weight at the end of it. But if you are entering the sitspin low, and from its own entry, you may need to also visualize your free foot as that pencil at the end of your compass, which is drawing a circle on the ice from back to front. That's because you don't want to bring your free leg around high; you want to keep it low to the ice and very controlled. Also, make sure you turn your free foot out as it reaches the 2:00 mark (10:00 if you spin clockwise) so it comes in heel first. Let it collide with the free leg, then lower your butt and push your chest and free leg forward until you feel the inside of the thigh of your free leg pressing against the top of the calf of your spinning leg. When you feel that, it means you are in a fully seated position, with your spinning thigh parallel to the ice and the spinning leg at a right angle. One more important thing to remember is to keep your back arched and very rigid from the entrance edge through the swing, and throughout the spin.

luna_skater
04-04-2006, 10:31 AM
But if you are entering the sitspin low, and from its own entry, you may need to also visualize your free foot as that pencil at the end of your compass, which is drawing a circle on the ice from back to front. That's because you don't want to bring your free leg around high; you want to keep it low to the ice and very controlled.

For me, I do need to think of having my free leg quite high, or I catch the heel of my blade in the ice. I also find that having my free leg higher allows me to "sit" sooner.

Skate@Delaware
04-04-2006, 12:58 PM
I have been trying to find that "right" position without either pitching forward on my toepics or catching my heel....it's been interesting (falling 5 out of 10 attempts and adding to my permanent bruise).

It is getting better, and trying to raise the free leg "UP" helps, as does delaying it a split-second.

I'm also getting better at getting into it and going a smidgen lower ;) (just a smidgen, mind you).

doubletoe
04-04-2006, 01:57 PM
For me, I do need to think of having my free leg quite high, or I catch the heel of my blade in the ice. I also find that having my free leg higher allows me to "sit" sooner.

Yeah, everyone is different, depending on what their particular bad habits are when they're first learning the spin. My problems on the entrance edge were that I wasn't low enough on my skating knee and I was swinging my free leg too high. I now bend deeper and keep my free foot lower on the swing, but I don't have a problem with the heel of my blade catching the ice because I always make sure to start the swing with my toe facing forward and the inside edge parallel to the ice, then at 2:00 I quickly turn it out so the heel is leading and the outside edge is parallel to the ice. Even though the knee of your free leg is lower than the skating knee once you're in the final sitspin position, the heel of your blade still won't catch if you keep your free leg parallel to the ice (i.e., foot lifted up off the ice and turned out).

maineicegirl
04-04-2006, 05:02 PM
I usually get into a sit spin pretty well, but not very far down and I tend to rise up from it. My coach says I have to hold my leg farther behind when I go into it. I have been working on it for a LONG TIME and it will not get any better. It bugs me that I can never get that low. It also bugs me that I rise up onto my toepick when I finally get low. :frus: