View Full Version : Back flexiblity

newskaker5
04-02-2006, 05:47 PM
I was just wondering what stretches/ exercises you guys do to improve back flexibility for laybacks, etc? Thanks!

sunshinepointe
04-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Cobras, bridges, bridges from standing, scorpions, splits with laybacks, resting over a balance ball. I have a pretty flexible back so I don't know if these stretches are good for a beginner or not. Yoga is great for working the back. Hope this helps!

newskaker5
04-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks. I used to be a gymnast and have always had super flexible legs, but my back flexiblity is awful. I can do bridges, bridges from standing, cobras, etc but cannot really show a good layback, etc - I guess its either a strenght issue in the back or a need to just cont to get more flexible. Im not super sure, but there is NO WAY I could ever get my leg over my head in a spin or something unless I dramitically improve :)

sunshinepointe
04-02-2006, 07:26 PM
From what I understand though, a layback isn't about back flexibility as much as it is hitting the right position with the hips thrust forward. That's what causes the layback to happen, not folding in half. Cause trust me, I can bend like a wet noodle but my layback is non-existant because I'm not getting the good hip thrust.

edit: I just re-read your post - are you talking about a biellman or a layback? A biellman you definitely need back flexibility, but a layback you don't need as much. When you say "leg over your head" I'm assuming you're talking biellman. If you want to do this, do splits on the floor with a backbend, and scorpions (biellman position) on land and hold. You can also try splits of the wall arching your back.

doubletoe
04-03-2006, 02:03 PM
From what I understand though, a layback isn't about back flexibility as much as it is hitting the right position with the hips thrust forward. That's what causes the layback to happen, not folding in half.

I think *upper* back flexibility might be often overlooked in the layback. I have no trouble pushing my hips forward and bending my lower back, but my upper back doesn't curve backward; it stays straight. As a result, my back bend is like an upside-down L instead of like an upside down J and my head is too far back, putting me off balance. At least that's what seems to be the problem. . .

maineicegirl
04-04-2006, 05:15 PM
I do lots of yoga!!!! It is suprising how much more flexible you become after a few weeks of it. 8O It really strengthens the muscles in your back. I couldn't even do a bridge when I started but now I can almost do a back walkover. Ballet is also good for the back. I have this ballet video that I do once every two months. But Oh my god does it hurt the next day!!:frus: Any way, something to strenthen the back is just practice layback postions everyday.

Truly,
Maineicegirl
a.k.a yoga gal