View Full Version : Breaking in skates

Leda
03-31-2006, 03:54 PM
I just got my first pair of skates and I am currently breaking them in... (which really hurts...:cry:) does anyone have any tips on breaking in skates?

Isk8NYC
03-31-2006, 03:57 PM
What kind of skates and what footwear are you using?

beachbabe
03-31-2006, 04:17 PM
I know a ton of people will probably disagree with me, but when new skates are super bad at first i put on my hard guards and walk around in them at home. I go up and down the stairs and flex my ankles as much as I can.

Another shortcut is heat molding them, which seems to help alot if you are having trouble with a part of the boot digging into your foot, or rubbing.

Some people will tell yout to break them in the good old fashioned, and also painful way. You will probably need some blister pads and/or bunga pads and preferably a foot spa lol :D i love mine. Just go slow, start out with easy moves and don't skate too much, maybe an hr your first couple of times after getting the new boots. then start skating more and trying some of your more difficult elements each time and make sure you are bending your kness and ankles.

sunshinepointe
03-31-2006, 05:15 PM
I just got new skates too and they're pretty stiff - I heat molded them, but on the ice I revert back to beginner moves. Swizzles, sculling, whatever you call them are great if you're using good knee bend. It's recommended that you leave the top two hooks undone to get a little more bend. Can't stress stroking enough, and also crossovers after you get your feet under you. My boots are far from broken in but I'm pretty much doing everything I was doing before I got the new skates after only 4 hours logged in total - I was doing tentative jumps and spins after about an hour. In fact, some stuff has improved, but I will say that my moves in the field patterns are garbage because I'm still not able to REALLY bend, nor do I feel totally comfy in new boots AND blades. The last time I got new skates (my Jacksons) I actually paid my coach for a 1/2 hour private to show me good exercises to help break them in and this is what I did for the new skates. Worked like a charm. :D

Mrs Redboots
04-01-2006, 10:06 AM
My husband broke in his last pair of skates by doing the ironing in them, which he said was perfect because he was standing, not walking, but still wearing them and putting weight on them. Never, never walk around in skates if you haven't blades fitted to them, though; they can distort. If you do have blades, obviously put guards on.

Modern skates, though, are a lot easier to break in than older models, now that they are heat-mouldable. The old pros' trick was to wring out a pair of socks in hot water, then put them on and wear the skates until the socks were dry, which is pretty much the same principle!

And, of course, skate, skate, skate, skate and skate! The more you can do, the quicker they'll feel like "your" skates. My last pair took all of a week to become "mine".

Hannah
04-01-2006, 06:07 PM
I have a question about heat molding. I have read elsewhere that if you have a regular oven with heating coils and what not (like I have), you should not heat mold. I'm too chicken to use a hairdryer to do it (I don't want to burn the skates, and it doesn't seem like it would be the best way anyhow). If I have heat-moldable skates, and I don't heat mold them, will they break in wrong or will I be totally miserable?

sunshinepointe
04-01-2006, 06:58 PM
As long as the skates fit well and are appropriate for your level heat molding won't do too much to help, so if you can't do it no worries. Of note though, a reputable pro shop in your area have machines that can do them for you for a "nominal" fee.:roll:

You won't break them in wrong or be miserable if you don't heat mold - it's just a nice thing to do if you have the resources. Again, if the boots are fit properly and they're appropriate for your level you shouldn't really have a problem breaking them in at all.

Leda
04-01-2006, 07:57 PM
Thank you for all your wonderful tips! sorry it took me a while to get back to you. :frus:

What kind of skates and what footwear are you using?

My skates are Riedels (spelling?) though I am not sure what model. The man helping me pick out my boots said they should last me through Freestyle 1.

montanarose
04-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Check out the Harlick website for detailed advice on breaking in new boots. Even if you're not in Harlicks, it should stand you in good stead (as Uncle Dick would say!). I followed their instructions to the letter to break in a pair of Harlick High-Testers -- a much stiffer boot than I really need to be in -- and I had nary a problem.

Ellen

Leda
04-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Check out the Harlick website for detailed advice on breaking in new boots. Even if you're not in Harlicks, it should stand you in good stead (as Uncle Dick would say!). I followed their instructions to the letter to break in a pair of Harlick High-Testers -- a much stiffer boot than I really need to be in -- and I had nary a problem.

Ellen
I'll check it out! Thanks!

Hannahclear
04-03-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm also in new boot hell. :(

I have a new pair of Riedell Silver Stars. I was in Gold Stars, but the silvers were on major sale and I'm still working on my axel, so I went with the bargain.

I've skated twice, for about a 1/2 hour each time. The first time was awful, today was a little less awful. Sigh.....

TashaKat
04-04-2006, 12:52 AM

Ellen

I agree but have to say that Harlicks are much *nicer* to break in than other boots that I've tried, don't know why but even the double duo cement boots were a breeze!

Leda
04-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I'm also in new boot hell.

I have a new pair of Riedell Silver Stars. I was in Gold Stars, but the silvers were on major sale and I'm still working on my axel, so I went with the bargain.

I've skated twice, for about a 1/2 hour each time. The first time was awful, today was a little less awful. Sigh.....

its getting better for me too. My friends didn't know how painful it was and I told them it was like a tooth ache. (which it is)