View Full Version : Need advice on what to do about progression/lessons

newskaker5
03-30-2006, 10:51 AM
OK - I started taking LTS group adult lessons 4 weeks ago. I love our instructor. Its a crowded class and 1/2 the class is way beginner/still working on glides, etc. The other 1/2 is progressing faster, and our instructor shows us some "advanced" moves every week to work on. Heres my question:

From class and practice I can now do:
1. forward and backward one foot glides and 2 foots
2. Swizzles B and F
3. Forward crossovers
4. 2 foot turns - 3 revolutions
5. One foot lunges on left and right sides
6. Scales/arebesque (not sure what they are called in skating - glide on one foot with leg above horizontal and bent at hips- scale position)
7. Shoot the duck
8. Waltz jump
9. 3 turn on one foot
10. Not sure what its called - but its a pivot from forward to backward skating on two feet by shifting R foot leads and slit lean up on balls of feet to pivot to backwards now w L foot leading
11. Mohwaks (sp?)

Anyway - all this stuff my instructor says is very good and when I practiced a few times one or two of the advanced adult skaters were showing me stuff and telling me my technique and stuff were good. But since I am in the "Alpha" class, or test in 3 weeks is super basic and bascially I will be advanced to another level, but that level is still working on 1 foot glides, FXO and thats about it.

I know I still have a lot to learn - mostly edges and all which I need to learn for good basics and want to, but I dont want to wait forever to learn and Im afaid with the next group if I get a different instructor I will be held back alot. I am really excited I am picking stuff up so quickly , but Im not sure where to go from here.

WOuld it be best for me to stop w/ group after this session and do privates so I can learn edges, etc and perfect the skills I can do know, or should I continue with the groups and spend the next 8 weeks con't to glide and FXO? Also, as for privates I dont know how to ask/who to ask. My instructor is an ice dancer - would that be a good person to have if I want to eventually learn jumps/fresstyle moves? Any advice would be great! Thanks so much!

Skate@Delaware
03-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Some of the best instruction I've received has been from an ice dancer! Most of it was in the basics, like edges and form, but those are the foundations to good skating.

My LTS class has adults with skills across the board. We always start class with edges as a warmup, and mostly crossovers next. Then we divide up and work on stuff appropriate for the different skills.

It may be harder because you are in a group class. Have you asked your instructor about moving you up? Perhaps you could test earlier if he/she feels you are ready, skill-wise.

quarkiki2
03-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Hello, there!

I started private lessons when I got stuck on a waltz jump and couldn't pass out of Freestyle 1. That enabled me to work on other things (I still don't do a waltz jump, lol!)

At my rink, if you have the skills from a certain level, you can test out of that level even if you haven't taken the class. So 1/2 of my Pre-Alpha class skipped Alpha and went straight to Beta. In my Gamma class, we learned all of Gamma in the first half of the session and the learned Delta the second half. Is it possible for you to test out of the next level and go on to a higher level?

Also, I think that, by the way you're decribing them, your #4 on your list is actually a two foot spin and your #10 is a two foot turn. And you're doing a spiral on the ice for #6.

newskaker5
03-30-2006, 11:06 AM
Thanks :) I guess its possible - I havent really asked him because I dont want to seem pushy or seem like Im trying to show off - I guess I should just ask him. Since no one else in our class seems that interested in advancing faster or skipping I feel funny asking him.

I dont want to learn too much too fast that its done wrong or anything, but I also dont want to be too bored either. They have every level of adult class. He has mentioned the test but never mentioned the possibility of skipping a level to anyone. I watched the other classes the other night and the 2 above us were doing the same stuff we were. So its possible the group classes as we progress will let us work on more advanced skills and those who can do them can start to work on something else.

Do you think I should wait until "test day" and see what they tell me?

garyc254
03-30-2006, 11:54 AM
No, don't wait. Talk to your instructor now. You won't be skipping a level, just skipping the class for that level. You'll still be tested on that level.

`

Clarice
03-30-2006, 12:29 PM
I agree. I always test students up early if they have obviously mastered all the elements of the level I'm teaching. No sense in spending a whole session at one level if you're ready to do the next one.

newskaker5
03-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Does it sound like I am ready to skip based on my skills? I know I can do elements from levels up through delta, but Im sure I am missing some things inbetween. Based on the skills I posted, what level do you think I could ask to test to? (ISI levels)

Isk8NYC
03-30-2006, 12:46 PM
Say something.

I know some coaches who forget about testing EVERY SINGLE SESSION, so it's left incomplete or it's rushed and inadequate. Some of these people have been teaching for many, many years so I don't understand how they can "forget." I guess they feel the school should just keep the group together and move all students up to the next level, but that's not fair to everyone.

At the penultimate (new word, courtesy of Lemony Snicket; "next-to-last") class, I write their next class level on the registration sheet for the Director, so there's no guesswork.

In your case, you have a lot of the Alpha and Beta skills, so ask to test through them and see how far you get. You could start working on Gamma, but I can't be certain without watching you. (ISI REFERENCE (http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_basic_ref/lts/ISICard_Folded.pdf))

newskaker5
03-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks so much for all of your responses. To those of you who are coaches/ instructors - what is the best way to ask my instructor? Right after our class the next class starts so he doesnt really have time to sit and chat. Should I try to catch him before we start? Or call the office? ANy suggestions? Thanks!

Skittl1321
03-30-2006, 01:07 PM
I prefer to either email or call and leave a message for my instructors so they can call back when it's convienent for them.

But if you have a few minutes before class to talk to him, that's a good time too.

Casey
03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
I went straight from Alpha group lessons to a private instructor - best choice ever. Private lessons cost more, but if you're moving faster than the group and can afford it, then by all means go for it.

When you have a private instructor you're always pushed to your limits, not the average, and progress is much faster and the advice tailored to your needs. During your lesson, the coach has nothing to think about but your skating and how to improve it. So it's a world of difference. :)

(...and one of these days, I'll be able to afford lessons again...)

sunshinepointe
03-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Maybe I'm the oddball, but I think group lessons are extremely beneficial. I typically take one group and one private lesson a week. I recent upped the privates to twice a week, but I'm planning on going back to groups too in May. You can never work on a particular skill enough...there's always something to improve, and usually group classes for adults don't stick to a syllabi or at least that's my experience. I've done everything from basic stroking to loop jumps all in the same class. I really like the camaraderie in the adult classes...skating is such an individual sport it's nice to have an opportunity to share the skating experience with others.

If you can do both privates and group that's your best bet...but sometimes money is tight and you can't....so if you have the money to do privates go for it, but don't ditch the groups because you think you'll get bored. There's ALWAYS something to learn in any setting.

beachbabe
03-30-2006, 07:43 PM
well, I'd jsut go on to privates now. becaue most rinks will try and hold you in longer so they can pump you for more money with little instruction (their assisted warmups take 20 mins, leaving about 15min of insctruction divided among the group).

best way to choose a coach is to go to a public session and watch the people who are getting leassons. Don't stare, jsut skate around and see if you like a ceratin coach based on their teaching style:

1. do they waste time with the skater, instead of makign full use of the lesson?
2. does the skater look bored?
3. do they seem polite?
4. are they proficient in the skills they seem to be teaching?

then when a coach you like finishes with their student, you can just come up to them and ask about arranging a lesson. Usually they will give you a sticker with their name and phone number so you can call and make arrangements.

Casey
03-31-2006, 01:23 AM
Hmm, let me renig slightly on what I said before as sunshinepointe brings up a point - it depends on what the quality of the lessons is. I would say that continuing in the crowded, slow-moving group lessons I was initially in would have been a waste of my time. The lessons weren't that long, and sure, I'd "work on" things, like crossovers - which was simply doing a few laps along with everybody else. If I was especially lucky, the coach might make a couple specific comments to me during the entire lesson, but generally not as I was ahead of the average.

However, I took an adult edge class a few times, and it was great, I learned to improve something every time I went. All group lessons are not created equal. ;)

Isk8NYC
03-31-2006, 10:02 AM
Thanks so much for all of your responses. To those of you who are coaches/ instructors - what is the best way to ask my instructor? Right after our class the next class starts so he doesnt really have time to sit and chat. Should I try to catch him before we start? Or call the office? ANy suggestions? Thanks!
Try and catch him before class starts, or wait until his second class is finished.

Tell him in advance that you'd like a minute of his time to discuss something privately. Don't put him on the spot by talking in front of the other students. They might feel that you're insulting them for being "too slow."

VegasGirl
03-31-2006, 01:20 PM
I think I posted it in another thread but since it applies here as well I'll post it again. I too used to take LTS adult group lessons. The first few lessons I had to stick with the total beginners on the beginner's part of the ice (they split the ice half way, one side for beginners to intermediate (ISI Pre-Alpha to Delta) the other for intermediate and more advanced (ISI FS1 and up)) so the coaches could evaluate my skills. I didn't like it all that much because I was above the skill level on that side but followed instruction and figured that the coaches would know best when to move me up. A few weeks into my lessons it was time for testing and I was tested right up to Beta moving me to the more advanced group of the beginners thus receiving the proper instruction for my level. A few weeks later, and though I was still working on my Delta moves, I was moved over to the intermediate side.

To make a long story short, I trusted that the coaches would do their job and know what was best for me and my skating ability.