View Full Version : Order of teaching basics

Rusty Blades
03-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Is there a "common progression" in the order of teaching MITF or does each coach do it their own way?

I thought I could find some "coaching guidelines" online but didn't see any. I WOULD be interested in the lesson sequence.

(I like to "study ahead"!)

phoenix
03-30-2006, 12:08 PM
If you mean the actual MITF elements for the test levels, they should be taught in that order, starting with pre-preliminary. Each level builds on the last.

On a related note, my littlest student (7 y.o.) in her lesson yesterday announced, "look at this new move I made up!" And proceeded to do perfect FO alternating 3's down the ice! I about fell over. I never showed them to her, she's not even really working on her pre-pre moves much yet--she just figured it out on her own. Cool--that's one less element I'll have to teach!

slusher
03-31-2006, 03:01 PM
I've seen several different approaches. Let's take a MITF that involves 3 turns.

Coach A will skate out the pattern on the ice and the student will follow. The turns are non existent and two footed, except of course for the one good one the kid can do. The skater will then repeat the pattern over and over and eventually the turns will work them selves out. The coach might work on a specific turn maybe, but always in the place in the pattern.

Coach B will have the kid do the move in isolation, usually on some sort of axis, (or a figures circle, like mine) and will perfect the turns before ever showing the skater the pattern. The skater then does the pattern moderately well first time out (no feet touching down) and then works on perfecting the whole.

I couldn't say which one is a better approach. I know, that I get tired of certain moves patterns pretty darn quickly! ergo, I have a B coach.

phoenix
03-31-2006, 03:37 PM
I am totally a B coach! :mrgreen: