View Full Version : Help needed on FI3's...

aussieskater
03-29-2006, 05:26 AM
Coach has been trying to get me to stop "hooking" the first half of my FI3's (both sides), and flattening the second half. He commented that this is apparently a common problem among adults, who hate the BO edge. Problem is that I don't mind that one at all - it's the BI I hate :?? .

Today, he had me cross one foot rigidly behind the other, lock both legs straight 8O and (while holding *both* my hands!) had me do the turn. The difference was noticeable, in that the turn was even both halves. He commented that positioning my legs like this meant that I was properly over the skating hip and had the correct one leading.

Question: since I haven't a hope of replicating that exercise 8O without two strong competent hands to hold, what can I do to get the result when practising myself? (Since my aim - among others - is that one day I will be able to do these suckers without said competent hands to hold!)

dbny
03-29-2006, 08:03 AM
There is something I recently discovered, that my (now former) coach never, ever told me, and it has helped tremendously. If your shoulders are rotated and you bend your knee, you do not have to do anything except rise up for the turn to happen. I've been practicing this on two feet (feet and knees glued together) and it is absolutely true. After working it on two feet, I progressed to one foot without half the fear I normally have. The turns were placed where I wanted them, lobes even, and a decent check (although not yet good enough).

Isk8NYC
03-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Without seeing you skate, I'd bet that you swing the free leg to make the turn happen. (I was one of those skaters -- misery loves company!) That's why your coach had you force your foot behind. Practice edges with the knees closed and your foot tucked. To tuck, just place the toe of your free foot against the inside of the skating foot heel. Keep your knees closed.

Here's how I teach inside threes: Practice the edges first with the proper check. Then, practice rotating the arms and shoulders from the outside to the inside with the upper body turned. Try to look behind yourself, since a good turn of the head in the direction you're going will help you rotate the upper body. Bend your knees deeply and "swish" your toe into the turn. After you turn, BEND YOUR KNEES AGAIN! Otherwise, you get a flat edge, toepick drag, or you stop entirely.

If you think of rotating your arms to "hug" a big pole and go around it, you'll find the upper-body rotation easier. BTW, I sometimes draw marks in a semi-circle on the ice to show WHERE the kids should start/turn/finish. Gives them a visual target.

doubletoe
03-29-2006, 12:29 PM
It also makes a big difference when you push off correctly onto the forward inside edge. For a RFI edge, turn your left foot out a little before pushing off from it and turn your right foot out a little before pushing off onto it, so that you are pushing off from a T position. This will give you good control and get you over the hip of your skating leg so that you don't have an overly curly or rushed entrance edge.

beachbabe
03-29-2006, 02:37 PM
well the best advice for forward inside or outside 3 turns is to keep the free leg tight to the skating leg. Imagine t-stop position but just lift the blade slighly away from the ice and your other skate.

for back 3 turns- you have to trust yourself and lean back slightly, then tuen your shoulders so much that the turn is effortless.