View Full Version : Edges and a coach question

Hannah
03-29-2006, 01:25 AM
I did a search and wasn't quite able to find what I was looking for- I'm sure the answer is in past threads somewhere- sorry if this is a repeat! :)

What can I do to become comfortable on my edges?

I have a super friendly group instructor who is really bad at explaining HOW to do things, and like many group instructors (as I understand from reading other threads) is encouraging my adult class to progress in "tricks" before we progress in actual skating proficiency. Three in my class are trying to do spins, mohawks and three-turns (is that right?) and all three still look unsteady just doing forward skating. She started me on crossovers yesterday, which I stopped trying to do after about a minute (when she stopped watching) because I felt so awkward that I was sure I was going to hurt myself (or at the very best, not learn anything useful).

I really, really, really don't want to start out by skipping basic skills- a surefire way to learn bad habits!

I will ask the instructor about edges, too, but I'm pretty sure her explanation won't be clear or will involve doing something that I can't do without falling all over myself. So, what do you all do to practice using edges?

Second question: if I start taking private lessons, is there a benefit in continuing group lessons? (Aside from financial- it is cheaper at my rink, skating three times a week, to be enrolled in a group class because we get free ice time included! :D )

NickiT
03-29-2006, 01:52 AM
You are right in that it's sensible to become confident on your basic skating and have good control and ability of that before moving onto harder stuff. The only way to really strengthen your basic skating is to practice, practice, practice. Remember all the rules of skating - keeping your hips over your skates, maintaining good knee bend, head up and so on. To get good edges it really is a case of leaning over onto that edge. Do it bit by bit, a little at a time until you feel more secure.

Group lessons are always useful - you are able to learn off others by seeing what not to do as well as what you should be doing. Group lessons are a cheaper option and can be fun too. Obviously private lessons are geared to you and you alone so you get the coach's undivided attention and therefore progress at a rate that's right for you. As for whether to drop the group lessons if you go private, that's really up to you and whether you feel you are getting anything out of the group lesssons or not. I have two private lessons per week and also do two group lessons as and when I feel like it. Sometimes it's nice to do something different with a different coach and learn a new challenge.

Nicki