View Full Version : Laying Out Choreography

Rusty Blades
03-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Ok the crazy adults up here are trying to talk me into going to the Adult Nationals next year and entering Intrepretive (since I am a re-beginner and don't know if I will have any jumps by then).

So I have a pretty good idea what I want for music, I have an editor to get the time right, and it's time to start thinking about the program.

Short of trying to sketch it all on a piece of paper, which would get pretty "busy", how do ya'll map out your routine?

Summerkid710
03-28-2006, 01:28 PM
When I am choreographing a program, I use paper and pen. I'll write out the elements on the top of the paper so I can check them off to make sure I have everthing included. I like to place the elements first throughout the program based on the music -- where I think things should go. I'll add in connecting steps and arms later. I draw out the program on the paper to make sure it has good flow. There is nothing worse than a program that goes around and around in a circle.

I'm sure everyone has their own technique but this layering works for me for synchro, singles, and ice show group numbers.

doubletoe
03-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Yep! I do the same thing!

1. I write down a list a the elements I want in my program.
2. If I have a videotape of myself executing these elements, I use a stopwatch to time each one (as well as the entries, exits and connecting steps for each), so that I know how many seconds each element will take, and how much space it uses up on the ice.
2. I listen to my music over and over and write down the exact moments (minutes and seconds) that I hear certain elements. I won't "hear" all elements, but a few will usually jump out at me.
3. I then listen to the music several more times and figure out where I can fit in the elements that haven't been placed yet.
4. I lay out the program on paper, on a printout of a hockey rink (I usually use 1 piece of paper per minute of choreography so it doesn't get too busy). The first things I lay out are those elements that must be in a certain position in relation to the judges, like a spiral sequence, spread eagle, Ina Bauer, etc. Everything else gets placed around those elements and I just have to make the connections work.

sunshinepointe
03-28-2006, 01:59 PM
I choreograph in a strange way. I choreograph bits and pieces depending on where I get a feel for things in the music. Sometimes I choreograph the second half of the program before the first half, or just do 10-20 seconds at a time here and there. I write down the elements and how much time I have in between and I just keep filling everything in until the program is done. It always worked for me in dance and it seemed to translate to ice for the one program I did. I think the key to doing your own program is to just go with the flow - if you get a good idea for something work around that spot. Sometimes you'll find that you need to change stuff up a bit to make it work better, but once it's complete definitely videotape to see if there are any parts that are lacking.

Raye
03-28-2006, 01:59 PM
I do all the things Doubletoe and Summerkid 710 suggest, but I also take the music to the rink and just stroke to it in order to get the 'feel' of it before I start in with the pen and paper....

See you at CAN next year!!!:halo:

Rusty Blades
03-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Raye, you stinker! I didn't know you were on this board! 8O Now my secret is out of the bag :roll:

I was going to start putting something together so I would know what things I want to recover first (after I get my backward edges back this spring).

Now don't you be telling any of the other Canadians over there what I am up to :halo:

doubletoe
03-28-2006, 02:35 PM
I choreograph in a strange way. I choreograph bits and pieces depending on where I get a feel for things in the music. Sometimes I choreograph the second half of the program before the first half, or just do 10-20 seconds at a time here and there. I write down the elements and how much time I have in between and I just keep filling everything in until the program is done. It always worked for me in dance and it seemed to translate to ice for the one program I did. I think the key to doing your own program is to just go with the flow - if you get a good idea for something work around that spot. Sometimes you'll find that you need to change stuff up a bit to make it work better, but once it's complete definitely videotape to see if there are any parts that are lacking.

Absolutely! For my new program, I had a hard time hearing where most of the elements wanted to be, so I just started with what jumped out at me first, which was the spiral sequence in the last minute of the program, and the final jump and spin right afterwards. So I had the last minute of the program choreographed first, but that unblocked me and made it easier to break down the rest of it piece by piece and fit the other elements in. Now the only part left to be choreographed is the first 6 seconds, LOL!

flo
03-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Hi, I play the music over and over and think out the story. Then I put it on at the rink and skate it. Next it's drawing it out. I love choreographing programs , I think the most important thing is to feel the music and go with it. When I choreograph for someone, I go from thw begining to end and include what best shows them off while setting them apart.

beachbabe
03-28-2006, 10:29 PM
call me weird, but i like to tape it, let me explain. my coach comes up with choreography, and as i do it, i tape the music playing with my voice over it so i get the right timing for my elements. then i follow the same timing and retape it on to my ipod so ic an listen to it as i practice the routine and get trhe timing right, along with the music.

yes, im weird

stardust skies
03-29-2006, 02:04 AM
I don't know if I understood right, but are you trying to choreograph your own program, or just looking for ways to remember it? If you're trying to choreograph your own program, I'd really advise against it especially since you are a self-proclaimed beginner. There are so many moves and patterns you don't yet know or wouldn't think about that a choreographer would, and it would make such a difference with how your program will turn out. If you're going to spend all that money for Nationals, then I'd suggest getting the best possible program to go to it with.

Raye
03-29-2006, 02:27 AM
Raye, you stinker! I didn't know you were on this board! 8O Now my secret is out of the bag :roll:

I was going to start putting something together so I would know what things I want to recover first (after I get my backward edges back this spring).

Now don't you be telling any of the other Canadians over there what I am up to :halo:

I'll never tell....:halo:

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2006, 04:33 AM
I don't know if I understood right, but are you trying to choreograph your own program, or just looking for ways to remember it? If you're trying to choreograph your own program, I'd really advise against it especially since you are a self-proclaimed beginner. There are so many moves and patterns you don't yet know or wouldn't think about that a choreographer would, and it would make such a difference with how your program will turn out. If you're going to spend all that money for Nationals, then I'd suggest getting the best possible program to go to it with.If she were Gold standard, I'd agree. I don't think you can have seen much adult skating, but much of it is self-choreographed, or at least done in collaboration with a coach, certainly at the lower levels. The Masters levels, of course, are wonderful....

I like to put my music on headphones and skate round to it, and gradually a rough idea emerges; then I get my coach on to it and he tweaks and polishes it, and suggests things, and then I have another go, and he has another go, and why, oh why aren't I well enough to skate this morning as I was going to get him to have a go at the middle section, which he says he doesn't like.....

And I've won several Interpretive competitions that way! And come last in several others, often with the same music, so you can never really tell - it's basically what the judges like on the day!

Rusty Blades
03-29-2006, 04:48 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions!

Yes, a choreographer is a bit much just starting out. It will be difficult to know what moves I have available until much later in the year so I am sure my program will be in a state of flux until it is time to "nail it down" and start working toward making it public.

I already know that I would not be able to do justice to my first choice of music (I'll save it for my Freeskate in future years! ;) ) so I am going back to a piece that isn't as physically demanding and has sentimental value for me - my program music from 1968 8O It has great sentimental value to me, I know I can skate it with passion, and I can STILL hear it in my head from beginning to end 36 years later - LOL!!! Funny how things get so "drumed in" - maybe I'll even start to remember some of my old program!

VegasGirl
03-29-2006, 07:50 AM
I've always had my coach do the choreography, from ISI Gamma (first competition) on to FS1 (last one I did), would've never attempted to do it myself!

Isk8NYC
03-29-2006, 08:06 AM
For ISI programs, it's easier to choreograph since the elements at each level are mandated and limited. In Rusty Blades' case, the requirements (Canskate?) are much more flexible and require more between-elements choreography.

Make a list of your best elements.
Skate around to the music and figure out where to put little moves and elements.
List the items and put music "cues" with them. For example, "Big Drumbeat - Loop/Loop."

I like to use sticky-notes for each element and arrange them on paper (or the dining room tablecloth) while listening to the music. Timing is always an issue if you do this first.

If you have the coach do the choreography, it helps to video the run through for you to watch again later as a reminder.

Truthfully, the program can and will change in the next year as you improve new things and rework the order to make it flow better.

My coach comes up with choreography, and as I do it, I tape the music playing with my voice over it so I get the right timing for my elements. Then I follow the same timing and retape it on to my ipod so I can listen to it as I practice the routine and get the timing right, along with the music.
What a great idea! A second copy with cues - you could even put in reminders like "breath" or "smile."

doubletoe
03-29-2006, 12:31 PM
They don't allow Ipods on the ice at any of the rinks I skate at, which makes it harder to work with the music in real time on the ice. You're lucky!