View Full Version : Pilates for Skaters?

Rusty Blades
03-28-2006, 09:48 AM
My coach suggested Pilates for core strength exercise but I live out in the sticks so I am looking for a good DVD. I searched the Internet and there are a zillion Pilates DVDS but I have no idea which are good.

I'm 56, over-weight, out of shape, but can change everything except my age :roll:

Anybody recommend a GOOD DVD for core strength?

Skittl1321
03-28-2006, 09:54 AM
Can I recommend before doing a DVD to find a qualified instructor and take an intro series of mat classes first (reformer is great too- but I'd start on a mat)

I've been doing Pilates for 2 years. I started with a year of DVD (windsor pilates with denise austin) and feel like I wasted my time. Not because the DVD is bad (it's actually pretty good) but because so much of Pilates is using the correct muscle to do the job, and you need an outside observer to give you corrections. Things like not letting your abs pop, putting your tailbone down, pressing into your ribs- there is just so much to think about at first and most DVDs not only don't cover it all, but they can't tell you if you aren't doing it exactly right. There are somethings that you can hurt your lower back doing incorrectly, but I think that is pretty rare- it's more the not working effectively, and therefore wasting your time because you aren't doing it right.

Now that I've done a year in classes (really 6-weeks will teach you enough that you can start to self correct) I know that when I move and can't access classes I can effectively work with a DVD. Because now I know the basics and no what to think about, what to squeeze, what to stretch etc. The DVD didn't teach me that.

HTH. And the Windsor Pilates DVD is fine if you decide you'd rather just do that- but I'd get a book too and learn more. My instructor is very big that at a beginner level Pilates is about thinking.

TashaKat
03-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Can I recommend before doing a DVD to find a qualified instructor and take an intro series of mat classes first (reformer is great too- but I'd start on a mat)

Completely agree. I would go so far as to say that you cannot possibly learn Pilates CORRECTLY without an instructor. The movements are so subtle that it's easy to get it wrong if all you're doing is watching a DVD. A lot of it is about feel and knowing how the exercises that you are doing SHOULD feel.

I'll never forget my first session, I thought it was rubbish, boring, a waste of time ... until I got up the next morning and found out just how hard I'd been working! The thing is that during the class I barely broke into a 'glow'. I was very fit at the time and would happily do 4x 1.5 hour dance classes a day without blinking.

Pilates is great (both floorwork and working with machines) but to get the most out of it you do have to learn it correctly and have someone there to correct you.

beachbabe
03-28-2006, 09:50 PM
I agree with other posters on here. I actually do yoga, and its the same type deal. i took about 2 months of classes to make sure I was doing all the poses corectly, then i just switched to the videos they recommended there and was fien after that.

my mom uses windsor pilates dvd, i tried it but its not really my thing, and it was a little on the easy side. i like holding stretching poses for a really long time, and the pileates workouts are way too short.

take a few classe and see how it goes, then you could probably switch to dvds

although i say jsut do yoga, it gives you the added benefit of flexibility along with strength. very importand for skating.

twokidsskatemom
03-28-2006, 11:27 PM
http://www.pilatesonice.com/index.html

This is what we use:)

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2006, 04:09 AM
Completely agree. I would go so far as to say that you cannot possibly learn Pilates CORRECTLY without an instructor. Which is probably true, but not very helpful when Dianne said that there were no classes where she lived!

So what would you recommend instead?

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2006, 04:10 AM
http://www.pilatesonice.com/index.html

This is what we use:)Is that a normal price for DVDs where you live? Wow.....

Rusty Blades
03-29-2006, 04:53 AM
Thank you all for your comments!

The fates have smiled upon me once again. I had been looking for a "personal trainer", some place to learn pilates, and someone who is used to working with sports and "old people". It appears I have found one lady (a "fitness professional") who meets all those requirements and operates in my rural area!

Some things just seem destined to BE!

TashaKat
03-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Which is probably true, but not very helpful when Dianne said that there were no classes where she lived!

So what would you recommend instead?

Doing another form of strengthening exercise instead where you can get help.

It may not have been helpful but Pilates is such that you NEED to be doing it correctly to get the benefits. There is the very real possibility of developing the muscles incorrectly if you don't work under supervision, at least at first. I would not recommend DVD or book learning for Pilates, period.

TashaKat
03-29-2006, 10:15 AM
The fates have smiled upon me once again. I had been looking for a "personal trainer", some place to learn pilates, and someone who is used to working with sports and "old people". It appears I have found one lady (a "fitness professional") who meets all those requirements and operates in my rural area!

Some things just seem destined to BE!

Fantastic, that is really good news :) Enjoy, have fun and let us know how you get on :D

twokidsskatemom
03-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Is that a normal price for DVDs where you live? Wow.....
This is a special one, just made for skaters. I would assume that is why is cost more, just like the MTF tapes or jumps tapes.Its made in the USA.

We dont have anywhere to go for training locally, so this is better than nothing.:)

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2006, 11:47 AM
Doing another form of strengthening exercise instead where you can get help.

It may not have been helpful but Pilates is such that you NEED to be doing it correctly to get the benefits. There is the very real possibility of developing the muscles incorrectly if you don't work under supervision, at least at first. I would not recommend DVD or book learning for Pilates, period.No, fair enough - what other form of strength training would you recommend, though?

Dianne, I'm glad you've found someone to help you.