View Full Version : Fear of falling

DiesOutHere
03-28-2006, 01:18 AM
I've been skating for about a year (never was on ice before) and I can't seem to get past my fear of falling. Several years ago, I fell learning to roller skate and broke my ankle. I've fallen plenty of times figure skating so far and just bruised my knees, jammed my wrists, skinned my elbows (long sleeves are my friends), and scraped my hands. But, I'm really not big on pain, so I'm afraid to really fall and get seriously hurt. I'm sure it's affecting my progress. (e.g. I can jump on the ground, but my feet cement themselves to the ice) Most recently, I went out on the ice, fell just right on my wrist, and sprained it badly. We thought it was broken until the x-rays showed otherwise. I am forbidden to skate for six weeks until it heals, since the joint is so weak and another fall could damage it more. I'm sure I will be terrified to skate again once I'm back on the ice to the point that I'm almost dreading it. My coach says helpful things like "get over it" and "just don't be afraid". If it was that easy, I wouldn't be scared!! How in the world can I get past this? Should I practice "falling" on the ground to get used to the feeling? Thanks for the help!

AW1
03-28-2006, 01:25 AM
the first lesson I learned when I started to skate is that it's really important to learn how to fall correctly. That said, I'm still scared witless of falling - in fact, I'm trying to do 3 turns and mohawks and crapping myself at that - so how will I be if I ever get to jumps?
I don't know what there is to get over it, other than trying to fall correctly a few times, so that you know that whenever you fall it's not always going to be that bad. :?:

SkatingOnClouds
03-28-2006, 01:50 AM
At last, something I'm an expert in - falling. You could say it is my most practised element.:lol:

I have had bruises and the odd sore spot, but somehow I usually end up on my back with my legs up in the air, spread. (Fortunately I don't wear a skirt, but at my size I'm sure it's not a pretty sight.)

I think the important thing is that when you feel yourself falling, don't fight it. There comes a point where you know you can't save yourself and that you are going down. Once you get to that point, go with it, let it happen. Relax, go limp, roll, and keep your hands off the ice if you can. Trying to fight a fall can lead to twisting, wrenching injuries, which can really do damage

How to overcome the fear is another thing altogether. Maybe a few smaller falls which really don't hurt will help you there.

See my signature for my attitude to these things.

NickiT
03-28-2006, 01:58 AM
I think fear of falling is quite common amongst adult skaters. Having had a few bad falls in the past - I've suffered a broken ankle, a broken wrist, a broken rib and a chipped elbow - I know only too well that some falls hurt A LOT and I don't want to do that again! Also there's the fact that when you are stuck in a plaster cast with a broken limb you can't run around after the kids, and are totally dependant on others. That being said, I have never felt inclined to give up skating "just in case" I fall again and break something else, but that fear is still there. I don't know if you can ever get over the fear of falling. People say I don't look worried and that I go for things, and I guess that's very true, but yep, deep down I'm hoping like crazy I don't injure myself. I think the only thing you can do is make sure you don't stay on the ice for too long. I used to regulary skate for 2.5-3 hours but it became evident that all my "nasty" falls were towards the end of a long stint on the ice when I was tired. There is nothing you can do to prevent yourself from falling but knowing that nearly all falls are hurt-free or nothing more than a slight bruise, helps. Sometimes it's good to fall a few times without getting hurt as it re-inforces that all falls aren't bad.

Nicki

SkatingOnClouds
03-28-2006, 02:05 AM
it became evident that all my "nasty" falls were towards the end of a long stint on the ice when I was tired.

I agree Nicki, that's something I do too. For some reason I throw in all sorts of reckless suff in the last 15-20 minutes. My coach tells me to practise edges for the last 1/2 hour if she is there to save me from myself.

Hannah
03-28-2006, 02:24 AM
My solution would be to learn how to practice falling- and then do it about 100 times, not a few times. A fear won't go away after only a few successes, and you won't be able to break the habit of landing on your hands after only a few times.

Do you wear padding? I read another thread that was a big argument between people who shunned pads because "you don't learn without pain" and people (mostly adults!) who argued that even if fear of pain isn't the issue, fear of serious injury IS. The pads might give you the confidence to practice falling and later to take (thoughtful) risks.

Try to ignore your coach's MOST unhelpful comments- No fear was ever conquered by magically "getting over it".

gt20001
03-28-2006, 05:23 AM
I have only been skating for 4 months now and when i first started skating i had a little bit of a fear of falling especially after my first day of skating i had a nasty belly flop on the ice due to the darn toe pick that was very painful. Within a few weeks of skating i started wearing wrist guards and elbow pads at least i am going to be getting one of those hip and tailbone protectors and knee pads soon. I think the pads helped to get over the fear a little i had a few close calls where if i hadnt had the wrist guards on i probably would have really hurt myself. I am currently doing all my half jumps and working on my single jumps and have fallen alot on them. though i find it usually doesnt hurt much when i fall and i usually fall at least 15 times a session. I think it is due to what someone else said to relax and let it happen i dont tense up. Once you start having those less painful falls more often than the painful falls it will probably help your fear. My coach jokes with me that i am fearless like a kid she freaks out every time i fall and i just tell her to chill out. I think when you start relaxing on the falls a little more it will help you to not hurt so much and once you have a few more less painful falls you probably wont be soo scared. Hope this helps.

garyc254
03-28-2006, 08:41 AM
I hear you. Been there. Done that. Fractured the wrist.

First, head to your local Sports Authority or some such and buy yourself some in-line skating wrist guards:

Wrist guard & knee pads (http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2077706&cp=2057782.701917&clickid=hmp_actionsportsdrop_2&parentPage=category)

You can even wear the knee pads if it feels more comfotable. The wrist guards have a plastic piece in the palm to help keep you from jamming the wrist straight down.

Second, know that as you progress you'll fall less because you will learn to feel and trust your edges. Since I didn't start skating until I was 48, I went through the same fear. Now I'm not very fast on the ice, but I'm very comfortable with my security. Sure I still fall occasionally, but the falls are more the bruising type than breaking.

Good luck and stick with it. It does get easier.

8-)

DiesOutHere
03-28-2006, 09:39 AM
You guys are great! I normally do wear wrist guards because I was so tired of jamming my wrist, but my husband had borrowed them and didn't put them back in my skate bag. Maybe I would do better to get some pads. I don't plan on competing, just on looking pretty on the ice. I also like the idea of spending a day just falling on the ice to get used to the idea. I agree that there is that point-of-no-return when you realize that you are going to fall no matter what. Normally, I just accept it, but I can't get over the reflex of throwing out my hands to catch myself. For awhile, I thought it was better to skid, since the longer you take to come to a stop, the less pain you are in (the same concept behind crush zones in cars). Then I took all the skin off my elbows several times and changed my mind.

Four months on the ice and you're already doing single jumps?? *Bows down* I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!

dbny
03-28-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm scared most of the time, and it has very definitely affected my progress. Once fear enters my mind, I can feel myself stiffen up and slow down. I wasn't nearly so scared before I broke my wrist on a simple move :frus:. For me, the only thing that helps is to feel comfortable on the ice, which can take a long time, depending on the circumstances. Often the right music can do it, and I sometimes use a tiny MP3 player. A crowded session puts me off, as does very bad ice. I agree with Gary and gt20001 that you should get padded up, although I personally hate wrist guards and am not convinced that they help (doctor's opinions are divided on that). If you do get knee pads, don't get the hard roller blade ones pictured with the wrist guards. There are soft ones made for biking that are less bulky, more comfortable, and more protective on the ice.

quarkiki2
03-28-2006, 09:45 AM
Or, in Gary's case, the blade guard kind of fall ;)

I'm what I call a chicken-weenie. I haven't fallen since October 2004 (no joke -- my last fall was the weekend I found out I was pregnant with Milo. I'm not counting the time last month when I sat down on a back lunge -- my bum was only inches off the ground then.

I've been doing better at attempting things that could make me fall (1/2 flip and 1/2 lutz, toe loop and one-foot spins and back spins). I have no clue WHY I'm such a weenie -- I'm right over my blades as I skate and more than one coach has watched me skate, shaking their heads because I SHOULD be able to jump and spin, but for the fear. Now they've started to get after me because my basic speed and edge quality have improved dramatically of late and I'm not transitioning that into my footwork and turns very well. It will come...

I've only had one bad fall (concussion from a collision on a backwards pass through in Synchro), but I'm still fearful.

I guess I think of it this way and it's hard not to -- if I fall and break a bone or my teeth 1) I've got to pay for it and 2) who will do all of the things I do during my day if I can't? Plus 3) I don't WANT to hurt.

Alicia
03-28-2006, 10:13 AM
My solution would be to learn how to practice falling- and then do it about 100 times, not a few times.

I wouldn't do it in public, you might get carried off to the mental ward!!

garyc254
03-28-2006, 10:21 AM
although I personally hate wrist guards and am not convinced that they help (doctor's opinions are divided on that).

I don't wear wrist guards on the ice, but the sure have saved me injuries when I'm rollerblading.

8-)

doubletoe
03-28-2006, 12:13 PM
[QUOTE=DiesOutHere]For awhile, I thought it was better to skid, since the longer you take to come to a stop, the less pain you are in (the same concept behind crush zones in cars). Then I took all the skin off my elbows several times and changed my mind.[QUOTE]

I like to drop and roll when I fall. Rolling not only helps absorb impact, but it keeps the ice from scraping your skin (as do long sleeves, BTW), and best of all, it rolls you right back up onto your feet so that you can pick up your program again before falling behind your music!

nerd_on_ice
03-28-2006, 12:50 PM
I've never been injured, but I'm very fearful, and I know the fear impedes my progress. After beating my head against the "get over it" and "just don't be afraid" mentality for a long time, I am coming to terms with the idea that I learn by slowly expanding my comfort zone, and while that way takes longer, I eventually get there. If you want to, you can read my rant, and the excellent responses of the great folks on this forum, here (http://www.skatingforums.com/showthread.php?t=19769) (hope it's not too drama-queeny to cite my own thread, but what everyone said really encouraged me).

Go at your own pace; make sure you have the basics really solid; as you feel more comfortable, things will get easier. I think if you are so anxious that you are stiff, you are more likely to get hurt in a fall.

Fun ways to practice falling: shoot-the-ducks and lunges. You're already down there, so it doesn't hurt!

quarkiki2, could you please sign me up as a charter member of the Chicken-Weenie Society? I think you and I are the exact same skater.

quarkiki2
03-28-2006, 01:19 PM
nerd on ice--

I am not positive, but I think you could be my shadow. Or vice versa...

DiesOutHere
03-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Hmmmm....fall and then roll....that's a great idea! It's so good to know so many other people take months to learn new things and feel comfortable learning things s-l-o-w-l-y. My daughter drives me nuts when she says, "Oh, Mom, that's so easy. Like this!" Or the 17-year old in my class when we were learning spirals. We were all struggling, but she just did this beautiful spiral like she'd done it her whole life. Flying leg way up above her head. The coach immediately made her try a backwards spiral. He gave her a push backwards (she'd never skated backwards before), she spent a few seconds saying, "I can't do it, I can't do it," then went into this perfect backwards spiral. I wanted to admire her and chip up some ice to throw at her simultaneously!

The link to the other thread was very helpful, nerd-on-ice! (You're a nerd too! I'm home!!)

If any coach told me I had to have talent to skate before hard work would have any effect, I'd quit right then. I am the anti-athletic. I have no sense of balance, no coordination, am badly duck-footed (makes balancing on one bent knee lots of fun), and am extremely cautious. When all the other kids were climbing trees and playing dodgeball, I was practicing the piano. This is the closest thing to a sport I've ever come close to and I'm going with the premise that enough work will make up for lack of talent.

Yes, I stomp my feet lots of times too. LOTS of times. I can't believe the ice hasn't cracked yet. I've never stomped them at a coach, but I'll often stomp out of frustration when I can't curse because there are lots of children around and I'm mad that I just reverted back to doing something incorrectly that I thought I'd worked out ages ago. Like toeing out of my CCW forwards crossovers.

These forums are just what I needed! It's a pity we can't all get together to skate, seethe with jealously over each other's talents, and then go eat dessert!

crayonskater
03-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Learning to go limp and slide is the key to falling safely; the force of the impact is distributed across the ice, and not on any one pointy bit of the body.

I would recommend learning to fall from a lunge or a shoot the duck (or a crouch, if you're not shooting ducks yet.) You're close to the ice, so even if you mess it up, you're unlikely to really hurt yourself, and it will give you the confidence you need to get used to falling and sliding.

Casey
03-28-2006, 05:34 PM
I've been skating for a bit over a year, have never worn padding or braces of any form, and went through the fear gauntlet a few times.

What I can say with certainty is that though I'm doing riskier things as I've progressed, the falls have gotten less and less painful. I believe the key is simply getting used to falling on a (mostly) frictionless surface. Falling on ice is totally different than falling on the ground.

When you fall on the ground, which you've spent your whole life getting used to, there's far more chance of injury, and you instinctively fall in ways that are most likely to deal the least injury. You instinctively, if not conciously, know that when you hit the ground, you will either stick in place, or roll. An example would be if you were jogging backwards, and tripped over something that sent you down towards your side. So you might come down on your hip, then immediately roll onto your backside and on as necessary with a minimum of pain to the hip. You also tend to do things like using your hands to break the fall.

When you fall on ice, you tend to slide on whatever you hit the ice with. I used to land on my hips a lot, and it hurt quite a lot - my hips would just smack into the ice, I wouldn't be forced to roll by friction, and I'd be sore for a few days. In several cases I had to limp off the ice and take a break for several minutes before I could skate again at all. Now if I go into the same fall, I tilt during the plummet and land somewhat on my backside which doesn't hurt and I just slide along until I get right back up and continue skating.

I don't think there's any shortcuts, just time, courage, and trial and error will be your guide. Try not to land on any bony areas, keep your head tilted up if you come down on your back, keep your arms out from under you (the only injury that I sustained that lasted more than a couple days was getting my wrist between my hip bone and the ice). Eventually, like any given skating move, it will just flow easier with time.

And one other thing. If you fall, no matter how badly, but you can still skate that session, then get out there and do the same thing that you were trying again. If you don't a fear of that particular move will prevent you from doing it as well for days or weeks.

Best of luck, I hope this was helpful.

Casey
03-28-2006, 05:44 PM
I like to drop and roll when I fall. Rolling not only helps absorb impact, but it keeps the ice from scraping your skin (as do long sleeves, BTW), and best of all, it rolls you right back up onto your feet so that you can pick up your program again before falling behind your music!
Long sleeves good. Elbows on ice bad. I like skidding, at least for a moment, before trying to reposition and stand back up - it certainly doesn't hurt as much as what I was doing before. ;) Rolling seems like it would expose many more bony parts to contact with the ice. But then, I'm a bony sort of person... :P

Skate@Delaware
03-28-2006, 07:02 PM
Long sleeves good. Elbows on ice bad. I like skidding, at least for a moment, before trying to reposition and stand back up - it certainly doesn't hurt as much as what I was doing before. ;) Rolling seems like it would expose many more bony parts to contact with the ice. But then, I'm a bony sort of person... :P
I second that. Fell on my sit spin attempt today, only AFTER I had taken off my sweater, so I was wearing a t-shirt with short sleeves. Went down, banged and scraped my elbow (ouch). Fell on my left hip (permanent bruise there now). I wasn't wearing my pads today because I was too lazy to go back up to my bag and get them......:giveup:

Isk8NYC
03-28-2006, 07:31 PM
I love it when the little kids fall and slide all over in their nylon ski suits. It's fun to give them a spin! Seriously though, if you'd rather slide than collide, think about wearing clothes that encourage sliding!

Rob Dean
03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
I have to admit to a lack of interest in falling as well. My strategy has been to add equipment to cover each injury as it occurs. :P My progress is probably slow due to fear as well, but I'm figure, among other things, that I am the primary breadwinner and only driver in the family, so there are some risks that I shouldn't share around.

Practically speaking, I don't know whether they'd really help in a fall, but I do wear the wrist guards and a helmet for moves practice, but will take them off when skating dances with my coach. The helmet will probably go back on until each new dance becomes comfortable, but the wrists will just have to watch out for themselves, as the guards interfere with my ability to do the holds correctly.

Rob Dean
(45 and always risk-averse)

Isk8NYC
03-28-2006, 07:46 PM
I have a whopper of a bruise on my hip from a "click of death" encounter two weeks ago. When I went down (slidin'!) in my coaching jacket, I landed right on the toggle that adjusts the waistband. Resulted in a goose egg and a ugly purple bruise that's not going away so quickly.

I remember using knee pads when I was learning new jumps, or after I had already mashed my knees. But you're right Rob: you're skating for two, so to speak. If you get hurt, you'll have trouble getting your son home from the rink. As a 20-something free spirit, I could always crash at a friend's house and leave my car at the rink.

sue123
03-28-2006, 07:58 PM
Learning to go limp and slide is the key to falling safely; the force of the impact is distributed across the ice, and not on any one pointy bit of the body.

I would recommend learning to fall from a lunge or a shoot the duck (or a crouch, if you're not shooting ducks yet.) You're close to the ice, so even if you mess it up, you're unlikely to really hurt yourself, and it will give you the confidence you need to get used to falling and sliding.

2 of my worst injuries came from a lunge and a shoot the duck. Doing a lunge, I saw a couple kids coming right at me, and so I got caught on my toe pick, fell straight onto my knees. Bothe swelled turned nasty, and I couldn't walk for a week. Not fun. Doing a shoot the duck, I fell onto my back. That hurt a lot. Got a bruise right on my kidney. That's when I learned why it's so important to be pushing foward and having your toe pointed and turned out to the side.

Course, all those times I fall doing jumps, I just get right back up. It's always the falls you fall on doing moves you don't expect to fall on that get to you. BUt I do agree that it is good to practice falling. When you feel like you're going to fall, hug your knees to keep your hands from breaking your fall.

beachbabe
03-28-2006, 10:14 PM
You have to practice falling. over an dover and over again.

another thing i find, if if you try and avoid it, youll fall and it will hurt even more.

What I do, is if I land from a jump and i can just feel im gonna go down, i try and lean back and get as low to the ice as possible before i fall. if you know you can't hold a landing, just do that instead of trying to hold on to it for that extra second and falling even more painfully. Avoid knees at all costs, and dont try and stop yourself with your hands. let the booty take the heat..i mean ice lol.

dbny
03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Gary - my doctor does advise wrist guards for rollerblading, to protect the skin.

Sue123 - I have you beat on the shoot the duck injury. I broke my wrist doing it (on roller skates). The rink had a shoot the duck war during the evening public sessions. Everyone would go as fast as they could, then shoot the duck and push each other over. The last one still skating was the winner. Some big guy gave me a huge shove from behind right at the beginning, and I went flying forward, whacking the outside of my right wrist. I didn't know it was broken (cracked, really) until I woke in pain at 2 AM. Parents loved taking me to the ER, of course. The same night, another roller dancer broke her tibia flying into the rail during a race.

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2006, 04:16 AM
Long sleeves good. Elbows on ice bad. Indeed. My first coach was very emphatic that her beginners should wear long sleeves all year round. The more experienced skaters take "ice burn" as part of the package - basically, if you fall with bare arms, you know what you're going to get! Even coach2 did that one year, she was "swapping roles" with her star pupil (who was bored, one summer day), and fell on a double flip attempt, with bare arms... ouch!

Isk8NYC
03-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Some big guy gave me a huge shove from behind right at the beginning, and I went flying forward, whacking the outside of my right wrist. The same night, another roller dancer broke her tibia flying into the rail during a race.

Sounds more like Roller Derby! LOL

Casey
03-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Indeed. My first coach was very emphatic that her beginners should wear long sleeves all year round.
Well I do sometimes skate in short sleeves... :o Usually I wear a short sleeve under a thin sweatshirt, and if I'm really skating hard (which albeit is pretty rare) and get too hot, then the sweatshirt and gloves come off - but only for a few minutes and then I'm too cold again...a vicious cycle.

doubletoe
03-29-2006, 04:57 PM

Actually, when I say I roll as I hit the ice, I don't mean I tuck and roll or that I do a tight roll like you'd do if you were on fire and trying to put it out. I just make sure the side of one butt cheek is the first thing to hit, then on impact, I immediately roll just 1/2 turn so that I roll up onto my hands and knees and can get right back up from that position.

doubletoe
03-29-2006, 04:59 PM
Indeed. My first coach was very emphatic that her beginners should wear long sleeves all year round. The more experienced skaters take "ice burn" as part of the package - basically, if you fall with bare arms, you know what you're going to get! Even coach2 did that one year, she was "swapping roles" with her star pupil (who was bored, one summer day), and fell on a double flip attempt, with bare arms... ouch!

I generally go sleeveless if the ice is freshly resurfaced and smooth, but I bring a long-sleeved warmup shirt and put it on when the ice starts to get rough.