View Full Version : OK so I got a chance to skate on my new skates...

newskaker5
03-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Sorry Im sure I am annoying asking so many questions, but its my 1st pair of "real skates" I tried them out yesterday. It went OK. The blades are so much sharper/nicer than my old skates, but I almost felt like they were "sticking" to the ice and I had a very hard time stopping at first(it got better but I felt like I had more control in the old skates).

I kept hitting the toe pick too - especially turning and backward glides/swizzels. Its the same size toe pick as my old one, but I think its cause the ankles are stiff so I cant really bend/lean forward or backward at all like I could in my old skates (I dont think that was a good thing since the old ones were too big)

Are these normal problems? Are they any quick ways to get use to them faster or just keep practicing? I was upset that I couldnt really do all the new stuff I learned that well in them yet, but after about 2 hrs I was getting adjusted. I have my class tomorrow and I want to wear them - Im just nervous I'll be way worse with them for a while :/

newskaker5
03-28-2006, 12:04 AM
I ordered blade covers for my skates and they are the universal blade covers. They come in pieces and require some sort of assembly 8O which I have been unsucessful at figuring out. The directions are just in pictures, no words. I have 4 screws and 2 springs. It looks like I screw the spring from one piece of the cover to the other on both sides, but the problem is my blades are 9 3/4 inch long and the spring needs to be stretched out just to cover the blade, and its impossible to keep the spring attached to the screw since there isnt a washer or anything to hold it in place.

Has anyone assembled these before? Any tips? Anyone kow where I can purchase pre-assembled ones for next time? haha.

They are the generic universal blade covers from skatebuys.com

Thanks!

aussieskater
03-28-2006, 12:13 AM
Yep, they're a pain - mine had to cover 10 1/3!!. I found (by trial and error and much swearing ;) ) that the only way I could get them together was to assemble one side first but not screw it down hard, then using bird-nose pliers to hold the spring in place, I screwed the second screw down hard. Then returned to the first screw and used pliers to hold the spring down while I screwed the screw down. If I didn't use the pliers, then the screw would carry the spring out from the guard as the screw went down, and then the spring sprung off! :)

But it's all good - they work great now! And they're hot pink clear ones - tres chic, compared to the 20-year-old black ones (which looked and smelled like they were made out of tyre rubber!) I had before! :)

SkatingOnClouds
03-28-2006, 01:34 AM
When you are attaching the spring loop on the other side, you have to get the loop of the spring right down at the bottom of the screw, as close to the plastic as possible, otherwise they pop off when you use them.

The springs do loosen with use. I have found that if you give them a good pull, it does stretch the springs. Just don't pull too hard, otherwise they are too big. :oops: Then you have to unscrew them and use the next hole along.

NickiT
03-28-2006, 01:51 AM
As far as how your skates felt, everything is perfectly normal. It sounds like you have quite sharp blades and that is why you are having trouble stopping. After a few times on the ice the blades will dull a little and you'll be able to stop with no problems. Tripping over the toepick is probably because you have a blade with a bigger pick than you had before. It's just a case of allowing time to get used to them. Just carry on as you are and things will get easier.

Nicki

VegasGirl
03-28-2006, 07:13 AM
Yep, perfectly normal 'problems' you have with your newly sharpened blades. If it's giving you too much trouble you can drag the blades sideways over the ice (while standing at the wall or so) a few times. It helps to speed up the process of taking the edge off just a bit and will make stopping much easier.

flippet
03-28-2006, 07:44 AM
The stickiness of the blades is just due to a fresh sharpening. You'll probably feel it to a degree after every sharpening, just so you know. It goes away quickly with use.

Re: hitting the toepick, are you tying the laces all the way up the skate? If so, don't. Leave the last set (or two) of hooks empty, so that you can get the knee bend you need. As your skates break in and soften a bit, you'll start using those hooks as well.

doubletoe
03-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Did you get your blades sharpened by a professional before using them on the ice for the first time? It sounds like they are a little sharp, but like everyone else said, skating in them will dull them down a little. Remember to get them sharpened every 30-40 hours of skating so that they always stay somewhat sharp and you don't have to re-adjust to them every time you sharpen them.

Since your blades are new, they are probably rounder than your old ones, which had probably gotten flattened a little over time (which will happen with any blade after repeated sharpenings, especially if you don't have an expert sharpening them). The rounder rocker on the new blades will make turns and spins easier once you get used to balancing in them on the ball of your foot. This is what we call "the sweet spot."