View Full Version : tested out my new spinner...wow

beachbabe
03-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Ok, so yesterday I went to the rinks pro shop and asked about ordering a spinner. Turns out they actually had one in the storeroom and it only cost me $30. In total excitement I decided to try it out as soon as i got home.

Thinking its gonna be lots of fun i pushed in to it really hard...big mistake. That thing bucked me off like a mechanical bull gone wild. So i astarted nice and slow. It took me about 20 tries to be able to stay on for more than 3 revolutions without chickening out. After about an hour of messing around I could stay on for at least 30 seconds.

I wanted to test out my new skills right away, so this morning at my lesson I tried my first spin with my coach... and WOW. Her jaw dropped. I got like 20 revolutions on my scratch spin, when usually I can barely get 10 on a good day. And I felt so secure. Sure my camel and sit spin were still bad, but I hadn't actually tried those on the spinner. So far...I am very, very impressed.

ok, just had to share cos i was like doing victory laps around the rink in excitement. And to think just a little over an hr on the spinner culd make sure a huge difference.

Skate@Delaware
03-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Ok, maybe I should borrow one for my backspin???? Cause it really sucks. I can only get maybe 2-3 revs on a good day (those are very few and extremely far between).:frus:

Stupid question of the day: can you use one for a sit-spin?

rf3ray
03-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Hi, did you get the Rotation Trainer?, it comes with a DVD??

flippet
03-27-2006, 05:45 PM
Thinking its gonna be lots of fun i pushed in to it really hard...big mistake. That thing bucked me off like a mechanical bull gone wild.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hee!!! Ain't it fun? :lol::lol::lol: Those suckers really will fling you right across the room if you're not careful!

Although, you must have some sort of natural talent for spinning, because I've never heard of quite that amount of instant success with them before. :)

Stupid question of the day: can you use one for a sit-spin?
Yup. (Not that I've ever done it, of course!) I've even heard of a pair of them being used for flying spins. 8O

Scarlett
03-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Which spinner did you get? Please be as specific as possible. :)

sunshinepointe
03-27-2006, 07:24 PM
I'll agree that you're extremely lucky to have such success with the spinner. I've yet to be able to stay on mine very long and there was a period of time when I was working on it every day for like a month straight for at least an hour a day watching tv. Finally I just said the heck with it and threw the thing in the closet. I figured it was the spinners fault but now that you've had such success it must be my own lack of spinability/balance (although I spin fairly easily on ice, go figure).

beachbabe
03-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi, did you get the Rotation Trainer?, it comes with a DVD??

no, actually it seemed like a very old used model. It is metal and painted green with white stick men pictures of figure skating moves around the sides. It says olympica on the back.

I didn't try it for anything other than the scratch spin, but I would be a little scared to try a camel or sit spin on it in case it chucks me off. Its relatively small, diameter is about 2.5 feet.

I think it helped so much because my biggest problem is centering the spin, and it helped fix it. I'm gonna try it again tonight and see how it goes tomorrow.

beachbabe
03-27-2006, 10:00 PM
I'll agree that you're extremely lucky to have such success with the spinner. I've yet to be able to stay on mine very long and there was a period of time when I was working on it every day for like a month straight for at least an hour a day watching tv. Finally I just said the heck with it and threw the thing in the closet. I figured it was the spinners fault but now that you've had such success it must be my own lack of spinability/balance (although I spin fairly easily on ice, go figure).

its easier to balance if you wear boots similar to the ones you skate in. I wore some old hiking boots that have a similar heel height. Its pretty difficult to do it just in sneakers. maybe that was your problem?

flippet
03-27-2006, 10:27 PM
no, actually it seemed like a very old used model. It is metal and painted green with white stick men pictures of figure skating moves around the sides. It says olympica on the back.

I didn't try it for anything other than the scratch spin, but I would be a little scared to try a camel or sit spin on it in case it chucks me off. Its relatively small, diameter is about 2.5 feet.

Huh? :?? 2.5 feet? As in, 30 inches? That's HUGE. My spin trainer is only about the size of my foot, and that's only corner to corner--if I use it 'square', my foot hangs over the sides. And if it's got room for pictures on the sides, it must be thick, too? Mine is only thick enough to have a layer of ball bearings between the plates.

I'd be really interested to see a picture of this thing...it sounds like nothing I've ever seen or heard of before.

TashaKat
03-27-2006, 11:08 PM
Huh? :?? 2.5 feet? As in, 30 inches? That's HUGE. My spin trainer is only about the size of my foot, and that's only corner to corner--if I use it 'square', my foot hangs over the sides. And if it's got room for pictures on the sides, it must be thick, too? Mine is only thick enough to have a layer of ball bearings between the plates.

I'd be really interested to see a picture of this thing...it sounds like nothing I've ever seen or heard of before.

Yeah, that's what mine's like too. It now resides in a cupboard somewhere, it was fun for a while but I didn't find it particularly helpful, well, not at all helpful to be honest :(

I'd be interested in yours, though, beachbabe, it sounds more stable than the 'normal' type of spinner.

Mrs Redboots
03-28-2006, 12:48 AM
Yeah, that's what mine's like too. It now resides in a cupboard somewhere, it was fun for a while but I didn't find it particularly helpful, well, not at all helpful to be honest :(

I'd be interested in yours, though, beachbabe, it sounds more stable than the 'normal' type of spinner.I borrowed one that was the same as yours and Flippet's, but my present one is just a piece of plastic that goes under my foot, and you can't use it on the carpet (which is a bit of a nuisance as it means I have to take it into the corridor, so of course it never gets used!).

beachbabe
03-28-2006, 09:44 PM
update: I skated again today...the joy of spring break lol. Not really much progress since yesterday, but I'm still very excited. For the first time in my life, people at my freestyle sessions actually turned around to watch me spin. Still having lots of trouble with backspin, spinner didnt really help, but i'm gona keep using it b/c it did wonders for my scratchspin.

as for its strange size, I really didnt have anything to compare to, so i had no idea what it should be like. I think they just sold me an old model from the training room at the rink, because it does take up quite abit of space when i use it. It also doesnt look like anything that could have been made in the last few years, because it makes this weird noise when you use it.

I guess i got me some strange treasure trove of a spinner lol

aussieskater
03-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Hey Beachbabe, would you consider renting it out for those of us who are spin-challenged??? :giveup: Mind you, it's a long way to ship it to Australia... :)

TashaKat
03-28-2006, 11:27 PM
updateStill having lots of trouble with backspin, spinner didnt really help, but i'm gona keep using it b/c it did wonders for my scratchspin.

I found backspins easier on my small one, I felt more stable somehow (and BOY did I struggle with backspins on the ice)! Wonder why the size would make a difference.

stardust skies
03-29-2006, 01:59 AM
Obviously I could be wrong here, but honestly I think it's mostly in your head. Spinners are not only known to not help with spins, but more than that, they're known to screw up spins because you actually put your weight on a different spot with spinners than you do on your blade on the ice. Perhaps the spinner made you more confident, perhaps you believed it would help so it did. 10 revs for a one foot spin is already plenty anyways so it isn't like you couldn't do a one foot spin one day and then a day later with the help of the spinner you learned one. You just got more secure, and I highly doubt it'd happen through a spinner, and even more so THAT quickly. Skating is about muscle memory. Muscle memory takes time to build. Way more than an hour. If you did 20 revs it's because you had it in you and just needed to believe it.

I may be wrong, but that's truly what I think.

dbny
03-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Spinners are not only known to not help with spins, but more than that, they're known to screw up spins

Known to whom? I believe there are lots of us who disagree with that.

... because you actually put your weight on a different spot with spinners than you do on your blade on the ice.

Getting your weight in the right place is important, but there is a lot more to spinning than that. Maintaining a strong core, controlling movement of the arms, shoulders, head, and free leg are equally important, and all of those things can be learned on a spinner. Additionally, many of us get dizzy quickly, and that too, can be improved with a spinner.

TashaKat
03-29-2006, 10:10 AM
Known to whom? I believe there are lots of us who disagree with that.

Getting your weight in the right place is important, but there is a lot more to spinning than that.

Like actually FEELING the spin to start with. Once you get the feel it makes it so much easier to actually spin!

Kristin
03-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Ok, so yesterday I went to the rinks pro shop and asked about ordering a spinner. Turns out they actually had one in the storeroom and it only cost me $30. In total excitement I decided to try it out as soon as i got home.

I bought a spinner 6 yrs ago thinking it would help me, but I couldn't get rid of that thing fast enough! After about a week, I gave it to one of my friends and have never regretted the decision. I know it is good for some people, but I didn't like mine.

Leda
03-31-2006, 03:52 PM
um what is a spinner? and is it only good for skaters who can spin?:?:

Mrs Redboots
04-01-2006, 10:03 AM
um what is a spinner? and is it only good for skaters who can spin?:?:No, because it's also very good for learning 3-turns.

This is copied from here (http://nmnm.essortment.com/figureskatingi_rhhe.htm):

The first type of spin trainer is a plastic rectangle about the size of a large ladies’ shoe. On the bottom is a strip of curved plastic which resembles the rocker on the blade; only it’s a lot wider. When using this skate spinning device, it’s a good idea to invest in a square or circle of plywood about 2 to 4 feet in width and length. This will keep you from traveling too much in your spins, but it will also save the finish on your floor as the plastic device can cause scratches. Also, the spin trainer doesn’t work on carpeting. When doing basic spins, you can wear slippers, shoes or socks, as it doesn’t really matter. You will want to be in a clear area so that you don’t crash into any furniture or slam into walls. If you have no room, try using it in a garage or outside on an asphalt or concrete surface.
The second type of spin trainer is slightly more expensive, but you can use it on any surface. It’s made of rubber-covered steel with ball bearings and a solid base that won’t slip when in use. Slightly larger and heavier than the plastic spinning device, this spin trainer is very easy to use. There are many skaters who claim that spin trainers are helpful and others who don’t think they benefit their spinning. If you are considering investing in one, the cost is about $25-$35, but if you know of someone who can loan you theirs, then you can determine whether you want to buy one or not.
Economy spin trainer:
You can make your own spin trainer in seconds. All you need is a paper plate! You can also spin in a pair of heavy socks. Keep in mind that this is only for learning balance in a spin, and that you won’t achieve too many revolutions.

Leda
04-01-2006, 08:02 PM
No, because it's also very good for learning 3-turns.
well that is good to know since I am going to start 3-turns next week! :D Thank you for the website! Now I know what it does! ;)

russiet
04-03-2006, 07:10 PM
I came across this web site:

http://www-schneider.viscom.ohiou.edu/skating/homemade_spinner.htm

Minimum investment, if you're handy.

Leda
04-04-2006, 04:31 PM
thanks for that website russiet! Mabye that will be my next project!:D

SpiralSweetie09
05-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Ive always wanted a spinner, however I don't know where to buy one. Ive looked online, and youve inspired me. Im totally asking my pro-shop! :D And if your results were good, hopefully it will help me, my scratch spin needs a little work.
Best of luck in skating to you
~lauren~

Rusty Blades
05-07-2006, 08:13 PM
I am just a re-beginner but I picked up a spin trainer about a week ago because I wanted to start working on the rotation for 3 turns and to "find my centre" for spins. I was surprised to find it didn't take long to find my axis and that I quickly moved from getting dizzy on 1 revolution to being able to do many revolutions without getting dizzy. Still working on getting a good 180 but that will come. For the money, it was a good investment for me.

beachbabe
05-07-2006, 09:24 PM
well i really havn't seen any significant progress since that huge skip the first couple of days i used it...but it did help sooooo much with dizzyness. I definately feel a lot more confident in spins now...which is a good feeling as I'm much more of a jumper.