View Full Version : Question about music

Kevin Callahan
03-26-2006, 01:39 PM
I've made a lot of progress since my last few posts, although that really is not the point of the post.

Tim is ready to put together my first program and has asked me to choose an instrumental selection I like. Unfortunately, I haven't got a clue if any of the instrumental music I like or listen to is appropriate. I would rather stay away from boring classical, especially slow classical, but equally, I don't want to use rock or techno. I'm actually thinking instrumental soundtrack, perhaps "Marking Time, Waiting For Death" from Neon Genesis Evangelion or Yume No Naka E from Kareshi Kanojo no Jijyo, both from the composer Shiro Sagisu.

Frankly I don't know what 'appropriate' means in this context.

A quick update, while I have not passed my pre-prelim MIF test yet or made any such "official" progress, my salchow is correct and consistent (Barry corrected the cheating and the fishhooking on the jump and it is now not only correct, but physically easier to do), I have an inconsistent loop, and have learned my half-flip and half-lutz. Neither of which Tim deals with, since the British think "half" anythings are silly. But Barry swears by it. I still can barely spin, although I'm getting the rotation concept.

Clarice
03-26-2006, 03:02 PM
I don't know the pieces you've referred to, and don't know that I would make any specific recommendations anyway. But, in general, be careful about tempo and about the overall style of the music. You don't want the music to be so fast you look even slower trying to skate to it. On the other hand, you have to be a really strong skater to do adagio music - if you're not moving fast, it'll put everybody to sleep. Middle-of-the-road tempos seem to suit adult beginners best. You also need to match the style of music to your skill level, since music that is too big, strong, or powerful will overwhelm a beginning skater. Think about how you move, too - you want to like the music, sure, since you have to live with it for a while, but it's more important that it match your personal style on the ice. My daughter, for instance, is a power skater type - I'd never give her anything that sounds too delicate or balletic (fortunately, she doesn't like classical music, either!). Good luck - I think choosing music is one of the most fun parts of a new program, but it sure can take a long time!

sunshinepointe
03-26-2006, 03:06 PM
Movie soundtracks seem to work well...lots to choose from there. I think you'd want to skate to something that you love, but I'd stay away from anything too out there...sometimes it helps bring in an audience if they're familiar with the music as well.

nerd_on_ice
03-26-2006, 04:31 PM
I recently skated to "Black Coffee" by Yoko Kanno--it was for an ISI comp. so I was allowed to have lyrics, and that song does. But Kanno is a great, versatile composer so if you like anime music she might be a good one to look into.

racytracy
03-26-2006, 07:08 PM
For ISI I skate to "Bliss" by Tori Amos because it can have lyrics. I find that movie scores work really well for competitions that don't allow lyrics. "28 Days Later" has some good insturmental pieces that are definitely not traditional classical music. If you find something you like that has nice instrumentals a good music cutter can sometimes cut the part with lyrics out. The songs have to be a decent length for that though.

Glad to see you posting.

Perry
03-26-2006, 08:12 PM
The best way to find music is to be an active listener throughout the year. This obviously won't help you for this program, but when you hear something you like, write it down. We have a massive CD collection mostly just from CDs we bought for possible programs. I still open one up to see a post-it note marked "Track 13, possible juvenile free" inside -- I haven't been a juvenile since 1999!

You at least already have something you like. I don't really know the music, so I can't tell you if it's going to be skateable, but your coach should be able to do that. It shouldn't be too fast or too slow, and should match your skating style (ie, if you rely more on power, don't skate to "Swan Lake"). The best test is simply to listen to it, close your eyes, and see if you can picture yourself skating to it. I've skated to classical for every short and long program (and a good number of exhibitions, too) since pre-pre, and even then, I find that the best pieces are the ones you just can't help dancing to.

beachbabe
03-26-2006, 10:35 PM
I've seen some girl skate to the harry potter theme and was pretty jelous i hadn't thought of it first. since the audience would know what it is and it just sounds so pretty skating.

Are you allowed lyrics? if you are, go for movie soundtacks, those are always winners.

Raye
03-27-2006, 03:06 AM
There are some good tango or flamenco pieces out there that work well at the Bronze and Preliminary or Pre-Bronze level.

Kevin Callahan
03-27-2006, 11:07 AM
I am not allowed lyrics.

Speaking of things I'm jealous of, I saw a girl dressed in an Star Wars Imperial Navy uniform who skated tot he Imperial March a few months back at a local competition. Tht was pretty cool.

phoenix
03-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Best advice I can offer you:

1. Take some pieces you like with you to the rink & put them on & just skate around & see how if feels to skate with that music. A tempo which sounds pretty slow when you're sitting there listening to it suddenly gets very fast when you have to skate to it!

2. Once you think you've chosen a piece, keep it in your car & play it everytime you drive somewhere. See if it drives you insane to hear it over & over & over.

Kevin Callahan
03-29-2006, 04:47 PM
1. Is an excellent idea.

2. Mmmm... I make music videos, and so while editing, I probably listen to a song hundreds of times in a row. It comes with the territory. So I'm kind of immune to the effects of hearing any decent song over and over and over.

doubletoe
03-29-2006, 05:08 PM
I don't know the pieces you've referred to, and don't know that I would make any specific recommendations anyway. But, in general, be careful about tempo and about the overall style of the music. You don't want the music to be so fast you look even slower trying to skate to it. On the other hand, you have to be a really strong skater to do adagio music - if you're not moving fast, it'll put everybody to sleep. Middle-of-the-road tempos seem to suit adult beginners best. You also need to match the style of music to your skill level, since music that is too big, strong, or powerful will overwhelm a beginning skater. Think about how you move, too - you want to like the music, sure, since you have to live with it for a while, but it's more important that it match your personal style on the ice. My daughter, for instance, is a power skater type - I'd never give her anything that sounds too delicate or balletic (fortunately, she doesn't like classical music, either!). Good luck - I think choosing music is one of the most fun parts of a new program, but it sure can take a long time!

Bingo! :D I especially agree with the advice to skate to something mid-tempo. Unless you have a lot of speed, don't skate to anything fast. And unless you have a lot of speed AND can achieve that speed with just a few graceful strokes, don't choose anything slow! ;)