View Full Version : Videos/ Animations of Skating Moves?

newskaker5
03-26-2006, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know of any websites where I can find videos or animations or figure skating elements from the learn to skate program, such as three turns, back and front crossovers, waltz jumps, etc. I have found diagrams on sites, but I need to see these actually performed.

I am a visual learner and w/o having the ability to see what these skills should look like on a regular basis, I find it harder to do them/ grasp the concept. I just want to have something to compare mine to to know if they are correct. Thanks!

NickiT
03-26-2006, 11:39 AM
I don't know if this is of any help, but it's worth a look!

http://www.sk8stuff.com/m_recognize.htm

Nicki

wcbrinkerhoff
03-26-2006, 11:43 AM
I like this site.. It gives lots of video clips--even pairs.

http://www.sk8stuff.com/f_recog/recog_jumps_index.htm

SkatingOnClouds
03-27-2006, 02:13 AM
Wow, what a great site ! I get a lot out of watching others, so I guess I'm a visual learner as well as a kinesthetic learner. I could spend ages watching clips of the various jumps.

Kept watching the slo-mo salchow over and over, becauseher free leg is so close to the ice it looks like she actually swings her free leg through on the ice before it passes her skating leg. Is that just an optical illusion?

Lenny2
03-27-2006, 07:54 AM
The ISU produced a fabulous instructional DVD series on how to jump and how to spin that includes single jumps through triple jumps and all types of spins. It shows several different skaters doing each move and includes common errors. There are also comments from top level coaches, such as Frank Carroll and Alexi Mishin, and skaters such as Sarah Hughes and others. It also includes exercises that are important for strengthening the muscles for doing each move. I have frequently thought that an adult could teach herself/himself how to skate by using this series, it's just that good. It's available from Rainbo sports, here:

http://www.rainbosports.com/shop/site/department.cfm?id=20F1BC7D-475A-BAC0-52874DA3E6743738

It's pricey, but it is really fantastic.

The PSA also has a DVD series on all the moves in the field, available from the same website. This series is also good. The two dvd-set goes through all the moves tests from pre-preliminary through senior.

Skate@Delaware
03-27-2006, 08:15 AM
My group coach has the ISU vids and I'm going to borrow them. I am also more of a visual learner and have a hard time with only verbal instructions. My private coach understands this and shows me a lot by mixed demo (talking and doing).

Of course, you can always record skating on tv and watch it in slo-mo on your vcr or dvd player, most have a slow play feature. I've done that for footwork and spins and jumps. Drives my family crazy though!

Rusty Blades
03-27-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks Lenny!!

I have been looking at the ISU DVD set and wondering if they are worth the money.

I am a re-beginner and find I often remember the "overall form" of the move but not the exact blade-work or the details of the proper setup.

I have also tried putting my coach on "freeze frame" but it doesn't work 8O She keeps falling down when I hit "PAUSE" :roll:

I also find myself getting ahead of things - coach gives me an exercise to prepare to work up to FXOs and I come back to the next session with my FXOs (well one of them at least) - I ought, at least, to be traveling with a map.

I think I will pry open the purse, blow the moths out, and buy the ISU set.

Skate@Delaware
03-27-2006, 11:04 AM
Dianne:
You might want to ask around at your rink and see if any of the skater/coaches have the set and would let you borrow them or at least 1 or 2. And keep checking on E-Bay. There was a set that just sold but I missed it by $10 :cry:

ps-I just remember this website, which sells a video (i almost bought it). You can look at their clips:

http://www.eyeskate.com/mainframe.htm

Rusty Blades
03-27-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks Del! I got looking around after I posted and see that PSA has a DVD set of the more basic skills (Moves in the Field) - that's more appropriate to my level right now. It seems to be cheapest ($54) direct from PSA.