View Full Version : When would you get "real" skates?

Skittl1321
03-26-2006, 11:21 AM
I am about to start a Learn to Skate program. I will be in the Basic 3-4 level, as a part of the Basic 4 section (with work needed on my 2 footed turn from Basic 3)

I am currently skating on skates I got as a child from Lands End of LL Bean. They must have been big then, because the boot fits perfectly now. They were only used for about 15 hours of skating as a kid, and now about 8 more have been added on to them. The boot is leather and provides good support for me.

The blade is probably that of a rental blade, although the toe pick appears bigger than the one my rinks rent. I had them sharpened recently, and I figure they will give me one advantage over a rental in that I can wear the same skate each time, and keep the blades sharpened.

Now my question- when do I need to be concerned about a cheap skate? What level is it really important to have a good blade under you? Do I replace them whenever the boot breaks down (which might be awhile because I will only skate 2 hours a week) or when I start learning a new skill that demands a better blade? What skill is that?

Thanks for the advice.

wcbrinkerhoff
03-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Hi Jessi

My first coach when I was 14 said in the first lesson "you need new skates". I had skates like yours, "pond skates". He didnt feel it was safe for me to attempt any jumps in flimsy skates. The test is grab your skates by the end with the hooks--if the skate bends down towards the floor, you will need to buy new skates at some point if you plan on continuing skating. Ask your coach at group lessons.

I wouldnt rush out today and buy a new pair, but keep in mind you'll have to do it at some point. Good Luck! :)

Cliff

Skittl1321
03-26-2006, 11:47 AM
The test is grab your skates by the end with the hooks--if the skate bends down towards the floor, you will need to buy new skates at some point if you plan on continuing skating.

You mean if I hold the boot upside down, but by the ankle, does the boot flop over at all? Right now- it stays rigid.

It's the blade I'm worried about, not the boot. I guess.

wcbrinkerhoff
03-26-2006, 11:59 AM
In the basic 3 and 4 classes, I think you just learn things like stroking, crossovers, and stops. I would not worrie about your blades, but thats just me. If you keep them sharp you'll have a good edge. Lots of people in those classes are using rentals, so you have the upper hand. I would want to have good blades when you start small jumps, which require you to land on an edge, and good blades help with single foot spins.

CanAmSk8ter
03-27-2006, 08:16 PM
See what your instructor thinks. Looking at the pictures of the LL Bean skates in the catalog I wouldn't think the boot was sufficient for an adult to do much other than public skate, and I doubt that any kind of recreational blade is going to let you do much with crossovers and edges. Different rinks expect different levels of proficiency at the learn-to-skate levels, so it's hard to say. I personally strongly recommend good skates for stroking, crossovers, and three-turns because it's so important to learn them well from the beginning and it's much easier with a quality recreational or low freestyle blade.

Take the top of your boot and squeeze the sides together, with your hand around the back. If you can make the two sides (where the hooks are) touch or almost touch, then you should probably have something with more support.

VegasGirl
03-28-2006, 06:58 AM
Well, but honestly, the first beginners lessons aren't all that much more than recretional skate either. I'd say skate in them for awhile and see for yourself... chances are there will come a point where it'll become clear to you that you need new skates and that's when you go out to get them. :)

Not all people who start taking lessons end up enjoying and sticking with it... no need to spend a lot of money on new skates if you're not sure.

Skittl1321
03-28-2006, 07:08 AM
Well, but honestly, the first beginners lessons aren't all that much more than recretional skate either.

Basic 4 starts 3 turns and back crossovers- will a rec blade still work for that?

See what your instructor thinks. Looking at the pictures of the LL Bean skates in the catalog I wouldn't think the boot was sufficient for an adult to do much other than public skate, and I doubt that any kind of recreational blade is going to let you do much with crossovers and edges.
The boot was purchased in the early 90s so LL Bean has definetly changed the style. These ones actually look like figure skates- not the ones they have now.

Take the top of your boot and squeeze the sides together, with your hand around the back. If you can make the two sides (where the hooks are) touch or almost touch, then you should probably have something with more support.

When I squeeze the tops together I can get the top corners to touch if I move the tongue out of the way. I can't imagine how stiff good boots must be! Wow.

I think I'll stay in these for Basic 4- because I just found out that my husband picked a school for his PhD, and were going to be moving to Iowa City soon. I'll make sure there is an easily accessible rink nearby, with a schedule that fits mine, before purchasing skates. (Although- if I buy the skates now, I'll be more likely to make sure I use them...)

Thanks all for the help.

VegasGirl
03-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Basic 4 starts 3 turns and back crossovers- will a rec blade still work for that?

Hm, certainly it can be done... the question at that point is whether you want to do it and whether it wouldn't work much better for you with a better skate.

The boot was purchased in the early 90s so LL Bean has definetly changed the style. These ones actually look like figure skates- not the ones they have now.

There are a lot of recreational skates out there that look like figure skates but they still lack the proper support and/or soles to truly be a figure skate and hold up to the use as such. Trust me, you'll see for yourself once you've tried!

When I squeeze the tops together I can get the top corners to touch if I move the tongue out of the way. I can't imagine how stiff good boots must be! Wow.

I don't quite understand what you're trying to say... ofcourse the top left side of the skate will touch the top right side if you squeeze them together. But if your talking about bringing the top of the boot forward and down towards the toes bending at the ankle part and being able to touch the foot part of the boot then that's a totally different story. Even the entry level figure skates such as the Jackson Mystique are much stiffer than that and it's pretty much impossible to bend the top down to that poin unless the boot is totally broken down.

Skittl1321
03-28-2006, 07:51 AM
I don't quite understand what you're trying to say... ofcourse the top left side of the skate will touch the top right side if you squeeze them together. But if your talking about bringing the top of the boot forward and down towards the toes bending at the ankle part and being able to touch the foot part of the boot then that's a totally different story. Even the entry level figure skates such as the Jackson Mystique are much stiffer than that and it's pretty much impossible to bend the top down to that poin unless the boot is totally broken down.

I misunderstood what the other poster was trying to tell me about seeing if the boots had any sort of support. I couldn't imagine how stiff a boot would be that the to left and top right sides would not touch! But no, my skates don't even come close to being able to bend the way you describe as undesirable. I suppose I COULD bend them that way with signifigant effort- but they don't do it with minimal effort.

I'm thinking the boot is strong enough for basic 4, and hopefully the blade will work. Basic 5 I'll probably need real blades.

Rob Dean
03-28-2006, 07:50 PM
I'm thinking the boot is strong enough for basic 4, and hopefully the blade will work. Basic 5 I'll probably need real blades.

I started LTS with a pair of less-than-stellar (to put it politely) rec skates that had collected dust in my closet for 20+ years. They got me through Basic 4, but it was pretty clear to me at the time that they weren't going much further. I'd suspect that they *will* work for a little while longer, but that it's also probably time to start thinking about those "real" skates ...

Rob Dean

wcbrinkerhoff
03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
I misunderstood what the other poster was trying to tell me about seeing if the boots had any sort of support. I couldn't imagine how stiff a boot would be that the to left and top right sides would not touch! But no, my skates don't even come close to being able to bend the way you describe as undesirable. I suppose I COULD bend them that way with signifigant effort- but they don't do it with minimal effort.

I dont know what that poster was talking about. Of course you can squeeze together the top sides near the loops together--they are made out of leather after all.

Piper
03-28-2006, 09:57 PM
As a coach, I'd say you should just invest in some new ones. "Pond skates" will only cause bad habits later.
Luckily, as an adult, your feet will not grow any more, so you should be able to buy one more pair of skates for the rest of your life. (If they break down you can get them re-built)

I'd suggest for a boot either a Riedell Silver or Gold Star (Gold being a stiffer boot if you are taller or have a few extra pounds, they won't break down as fast) or a Jackson Ladies Freestyle Boot. Both are great. I have Jacksons because they are more padded and have better toe point. (But I don't have the Freestyle boot, I have the Synchro ones)
As for a blade, an MK Professional will last you forever and be perfect for everything you'll be doing. I had these through everything, including double jumps. The only reason I switched was because I needed synchro blades.

beachbabe
03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
I dont know what that poster was talking about. Of course you can squeeze together the top sides near the loops together--they are made out of leather after all.

i think they mean that if you hold the skates from the back of the ankle and just try to squeeze the sides together with two fingers. on a new, stiff pair of boots, it would be pretty difficult

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2006, 04:07 AM
I am sure your skates will be fine unless and until you want to start jumps, at which point you will certainly need to upgrade! Time enough to get a new pair when you need them.

Yours sound a great deal more supportive than my husband's first pair were, but he managed to get as far as 3-turns and Mohawks in them, even though they had almost no ankle support, and I hate to think what the blade was like....