View Full Version : Blade Upgrade

russiet
03-26-2006, 08:02 AM
OK, I know this has been gone over time & time again, but now it's my turn.

This now ends my second winter on figure skates. I started with Jackson Elite boots & Ultima Mirage blades. I'm thinking of upgrading my blades for next year.

My initial thought was to stay within the Ultima brand and get Protege or Legacy.

But it's tempting to try something else. MK Professional, perhaps?

I have strong edges and I'm better at footwork than jumps. That being said, I do work on jumps. I have small T.L. & Sal. Also have a nice big waltz jump. My spins are lame. I get a nicely centered two-footed spin about 1/2 the time (good enough that a teenage girl came up to me and asked me to help her learn how to spin! I was amazed....I thought I looked horrible!). Scratch spins have eluded me thus far.

So, besides asking my instructor (which I will be doing), what collective words of wisdom do you all have?

Thanks,

Jon

nerd_on_ice
03-26-2006, 08:34 AM
I have Ultima Proteges and I looooooove them. They glide so fast & smoothly!

When I got my current boots I was considering either MK Pro or Coronation Ace; my fitter said the Proteges are comparable but cheaper. Looking at the specs I see that MK Pro & Coronation Ace have a 7' rocker while the Proteges have an 8' rocker (as does the Mirage). Maybe the more curved blade would be easier to spin on, though I don't have trouble spinning in the Proteges (that's not to say I can spin, but the problem is me and not the blades!).

It seems to me that you might have an easier time adjusting to the Proteges--same brand, same rocker as you have now.

sue123
03-26-2006, 09:25 AM
I just upgraded from Ultima Mirage to Coronation Ace, and I absolutely love them. You can actually feel the difference in quality. My spins are more centered and faster. Supposedly, the 7' rocker helps with spins. The Mirage has an 8' rocker which could make things harder to spin. But I absolutely adore my new blades. THey have a nice rip sound when I'm stroking or doing crossovers.

beachbabe
03-26-2006, 09:32 AM
I just upgraded from Ultima Mirage to Coronation Ace, and I absolutely love them. You can actually feel the difference in quality. My spins are more centered and faster. Supposedly, the 7' rocker helps with spins. The Mirage has an 8' rocker which could make things harder to spin. But I absolutely adore my new blades. THey have a nice rip sound when I'm stroking or doing crossovers.

that rip sound could just be from the fact that they are sharpened better. Though i agree that coronation aces are very good blades, ilove them. they help alot with spinning

Skate@Delaware
03-26-2006, 11:00 AM
You are in a Mirage, which is 8'....don't go flatter into something like the Comet which is 8.5' or you will NEVER get your spins unless you want to expend tons of hard effort :frus: (trust me on this one)

My 2 cents worth.

Yes, the Aces are waiting in the wings for summer.......

russiet
03-27-2006, 05:26 AM
I just upgraded from Ultima Mirage to Coronation Ace...

How much adjustment time did it take you?

I just heard back from my instructor, and the Coronation Ace were one of his picks, along with "anything made from England ( MK or John Wilson)".

sue123
03-27-2006, 07:25 AM
How much adjustment time did it take you?

I just heard back from my instructor, and the Coronation Ace were one of his picks, along with "anything made from England ( MK or John Wilson)".

Honestly, it didn't take me long at all. By the end of the first session, I was in heaven. The first step on the ice felt weird, but after a few laps, I was able to stroke normally. Honestly, the toe pick didn't bother me, so I'm not sure how much bigger the toe pick is. It took me a couple one foot spins to get used to the rocker, but it was great. So I'd say by the end of my first session, I was skating just fine with them. I actually tripped over the toe pick in the Mirage's all the time, but the skates they were on were also too big so that might have something to do with it.

But yea, the adjustment for the blades really didn't take long at all. Couple laps around the rink, couple spins, and all was well.

Skate@Delaware
03-27-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm going to be moving from the Comets (8.5') to the Aces (7') this summer, so I think there will be quite a bit more of an adjustment period than a few laps. I plan on going up through the USFSA Learn-To-Skate book and work through the elements (I did this for my rollerblades which took 2 weeks to get up to and through 3-turns).

I am not sure how it is going rockier, because I went from Mirage to Comets and lost all rocker (yeah, I was off mine). And I lost my spins for about 6 months too.:cry:

I was told that the toepick on the Ace was worse than the one on the Comet,,,but it isn't. It's just cross-cut a bit-big deal.:roll:

wcbrinkerhoff
03-27-2006, 09:41 AM
Honestly, it didn't take me long at all. By the end of the first session, I was in heaven. The first step on the ice felt weird, but after a few laps, I was able to stroke normally. Honestly, the toe pick didn't bother me, so I'm not sure how much bigger the toe pick is. It took me a couple one foot spins to get used to the rocker, but it was great. So I'd say by the end of my first session, I was skating just fine with them. I actually tripped over the toe pick in the Mirage's all the time, but the skates they were on were also too big so that might have something to do with it.

But yea, the adjustment for the blades really didn't take long at all. Couple laps around the rink, couple spins, and all was well.

I agree with Sue. My new blades have a bigger pick, and it took me all of an hour to get used to them. While trying to adjust for the first 20 mins, it would grab the ice a little. I did the same thing--laps around the ice and they were fine.

russiet
03-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Right now I'm thinking the Coronation Aces. It will be a few weeks before I spring the $, so I may yet change my mind.

Regardless, I will re-post and let you know what I think.

Thanks!!

Jon

russiet
03-28-2006, 12:33 PM
I just spoke to my skate fitter & he is reccomending MK Professionals over the Coronation Aces. He mentioned something about the difference in the secondary rocker.

Anyone with opinions on those blades?

Thanks

Jon

doubletoe
03-28-2006, 01:57 PM
You just can't go wrong with the MK Professional; it's the best quality blade for the price and it will serve you well all the way through your single and double jumps. It has a nice grabby toepick but it isn't so big that it gets in the way. More importantly, it has a 7' rocker that almost finds the sweet spot for you when you spin (provided you don't rush that entrance edge, LOL!).

Casey
03-28-2006, 05:14 PM
I was told that the toepick on the Ace was worse than the one on the Comet,,,but it isn't. It's just cross-cut a bit-big deal.:roll:
You can get Four Aces - though less common these days it's the same blade as the Coronation Ace, but with straight-cut toepicks. I was going to buy Four Aces before I decided to splurge on Gold Stars...

It seems there's some bit of controversy over which pick style is better - different brands claim that either one sticks better depending on what they're trying to sell. ;)

Skate@Delaware
03-28-2006, 05:18 PM
You can get Four Aces - though less common these days it's the same blade as the Coronation Ace, but with straight-cut toepicks. I was going to buy Four Aces before I decided to splurge on Gold Stars...

It seems there's some bit of controversy over which pick style is better - different brands claim that either one sticks better depending on what they're trying to sell. ;)
Well, I'm not too worried about it....this woman had put me in Comets since day one and my spins have suffered:cry: (I had just gotten my scratch in Mirage blades, then lost it when I got these). I'm wondering if these blades are holding me back from getting my sit spin? I can't seem to get on the right spot (which, on the comets is the size of a dime).8O

I'm getting my daughter MK Pro's (you should hear them at the pro shop "Big Mistake! She will be set back on her skills", etc. Whatever!

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2006, 03:52 AM
You just can't go wrong with the MK Professional; it's the best quality blade for the price and it will serve you well all the way through your single and double jumps. It has a nice grabby toepick but it isn't so big that it gets in the way. More importantly, it has a 7' rocker that almost finds the sweet spot for you when you spin (provided you don't rush that entrance edge, LOL!).I'd say you can't go wrong with Coronation Aces, either - so presumably, either blade would be just fine. Or is there a more modern blade at that level?

Time was, you had Coronation Aces or MK Pros until you started to work on double jumps, and the next time you needed blades after that you went to Phantoms, and there you stayed..... these days there are a lot more options!

russiet
03-29-2006, 05:55 AM
OK, online I could buy either the Pros or Ace for $175.00 and $178.00 (respectively) and that includes shipping.

My skate fitter (1-1/2 hours away) is quoting me $205.00 and $20.00 to mount (add 5% sales tax, too.)

Here's the order I that I'll approach this:

ask my fitter to come down on the price. If he doesn't go low enough, then...
buy the blade on line and ask what he will charge to mount them. If he charges a lot more, then.....
buy them on line and DIY mounting.
Potentially screw up and have him bail me out.If he was right next door, I'd probably just go to him. Any other options that I missed?

Bunny Hop
03-29-2006, 06:51 AM
I've just been through the whole Coronation Ace vs MK Professional thing when buying new boots and blades. I did all my research and had worked out the two were basically equivalent. By the time I went to the fitter I'd decided on Coronation Ace merely because more people seemed to have them and everyone seemed happy with them.

Well, the fitter showed me both the Coronation Ace & MK Pro and I ended up choosing the MK Pro for two reasons:
1) The toe pick on the MK Pro looked less evil - as it's going to be a while (if ever) before I really need a decent toe pick this was a significant factor for me!
2) The finish on the MK Pro was just so much better than the Coronation Ace - I know aesthetics probably shouldn't come into it, but it just looked like better workmanship.

Anyway, I've been skating on the MK Pros for a few weeks now and am very happy with them. They are really nice to skate on - though admittedly this is partially because they are such a huge improvement over my old blades!

Mrs Redboots
03-29-2006, 11:37 AM
Any other options that I missed?See if your coach either

Can fit the blades him- or herself (many coaches have done this for their skaters for years - they do charge a fee for it, of course, but you'd expect that).
If they can't, ask them if they know someone local who can. Quite possibly whoever sharpens your blades (and you will have to have them done, ideally before you skate in them, but in any case very soon thereafter) will be able to mount them for you.

xeo
04-02-2006, 07:59 PM
If you're a big (strong) jumper, go with the mk professional. But with the jumps you're doing, it probably won't make a huge difference either way.

mousey
04-03-2006, 12:28 AM
I didnt know if i should make a new thread, so im sort borrowing this one.

I have ultima mirages as well, and im looking to upgrade too. i can do up to a double toeloop, but am desperately trying to re-land double loop & double flip. what would be the most economical choice? i am no longer competing, so im just skating recreationally (but still jump!) now.

skatingdoris
04-03-2006, 10:46 AM
If you're a big (strong) jumper, go with the mk professional. But with the jumps you're doing, it probably won't make a huge difference either way.

i'm currently having the same debate with myself, mk pros v's coronation ace:?? , what makes you say a strong jumper should go with the mk pros? is it something to do with toe pic size?