View Full Version : Going Down a Blade level or two

SkatingOnClouds
03-26-2006, 01:39 AM
I read here about not getting a blade which is too advanced for your skating level. Years ago I bought Phantoms. I never actually got past single jumps before stopping skating for 20 years. ( I'm not quite sure what made me think that Phantoms were the right choice at that time.)

I am again working on single jumps, so far I'm up to loops and working on flips and basic spins. Doubles may be feasible one day, but not for a long while yet.

I suspect my old Phantoms may be coming to the end of their useful life. When it becomes unavoidable, I'll have to decide whether to go for Phantoms again.

Phantoms are mega expensive - $580 Australian 8O , when I probably don't need that much blade. MK Professionals are probably more than adequate for my level of skating. The only thing that worries me is that I am so used to those big toe-picks.

Has anyone else out there ever made the decision to go down in blades, rather than up or sideways? How hard is it to adapt to smaller toe-picks?

NickiT
03-26-2006, 03:01 AM
I've never gone "down" a blade level, but I certainly agree that MK Professionals would be the ideal blade for you. I've been on these for some years now and had to replace them a couple of weeks ago. The skate fitter said that the MK Pro is an ideal blade for those doing single jumps and will actually carry you up through your doubles. I've always been pretty happy with the blades and really don't see the point in forking out mega bucks for a blade that I don't really need.

Nicki

beachbabe
03-26-2006, 09:23 AM
well ive never gone down a blade, but i use coronation aces which are about the same as mk pros. You should be fine in them, most of the skaters over here use them until they get to triples.

wcbrinkerhoff
03-26-2006, 10:11 AM
I wouldnt buy phantoms... they are way too expensive. I think that MK pros have a nice sized pick.

icedancer2
03-26-2006, 10:14 AM
You will get used to it. I went from a Coronation Ace to a Dance Blade which has very small picks. It takes a little bit of getting used to (and of course, you are re-learning stuff and so it shouldn't be that difficult) but after a week or so you will probably not notice the difference.

blue111moon
03-27-2006, 08:06 AM
I did the same thing. I think I originally got the Phantoms because they were what the skate guy had in stock to fit my boot and then I stuck with them because they were wht I was used to.

However, Phantoms were redeigned a few years back and when I tried them I found they really were too much blade for my level. The new skate guy had me try Pattern 99's which I HATED (although at this point I don't remember why) and finally dropped me down to the Vision which I love.

So I wouldn't feel bad about going down a blade or two. The new Phantoms are a different blade altogether from your old ones.