View Full Version : New poster, new skater

Hannah
03-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Hello! I want to introduce myself before I start posting everywhere.

I'm 24, in graduate school in Washington state, and started skating about a month ago. (If you don't count a couple of times on a lake in Alaska when I was about 6 years old.) A friend of mine wanted to go skating, but bailed at the last minute, so I went without her. I fell down about 5 times in an hour (but I now know where my toe pick is, for sure!), but despite the bruises the skating bug bit me hard. :D

I'm in a group lesson now, and after reading several comments, know I am lucky that I get free ice time twice a week included in the group lesson price- and this at a rink that is about 5 minutes away from my apartment! I love skating more every time I go, which is probably a good sign. :)

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to discussing on these forums.

cassarilda
03-26-2006, 12:54 AM
and after reading several comments, know I am lucky that I get free ice time twice a week included in the group lesson price- and this at a rink that is about 5 minutes away from my apartment!

Yep... Im jealous!!! :lol: :lol: :halo:

Nice to meet you! :D Im fairly new to skating as well - group lessons as well still because I cant afford to pay for privates - luckily hubby is a skater, so when I can drag him down with me he helps me out :D

And Im the same... love skating heaps, and I always just want to get back to the rink the next day... BUT Im in my final year of uni, so I MUST do some homework at some time!! :roll: :cry: 8O :lol: :lol:

WhisperSung
03-26-2006, 12:54 AM
Hi!

Nice to meet you. It's so good to see skaters joining up past their teenage years. I skate out in MN (started when I was 7, so I suppose I don't count), and despite the fact that there are rinks practically on every street corner, we don't have a very strong adult skating community here (hopefully that'll change someday). I hardly see adults taking skating classes, as well.

Skating's a great way to keep in shape, and it's just such a fun and challenging sport for people of any age or skill level. There's always something new to learn. Welcome, and I hope you enjoy it! :)

Hannah
03-26-2006, 01:23 AM
Initially, I thought I was going to be the only adult skater, because all I saw was kids. But there are at least enough to fill a class. :)

NickiT
03-26-2006, 03:02 AM
Hi Hannah and welcome to the world of ice skating. There are plenty of adult skaters about so don't worry about that. In fact lately our club has been taking on more new adult members than younger skaters.

Nicki

Skittl1321
03-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Hello and welcome! I'm a beginner at 24 (although I did do Basic 1 as a kid- but nothing past that) and about to start in group lessons in 2 weeks.

My husband and I are moving soon because he's getting a PhD and my chief concern is that there will be a rink nearby! So I can definetly identify with catching the skating bug after kid years :)

newskaker5
03-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Hi! I am new to skating too - 25 and just started. I have always wanted to take skating lessons and honestly didnt even know they existed until I found out about the Learn to Skate programs. I have had 3 group lessons so far and its been great. Im not semi-beta level :) (my backward one leg glides need work) and loving it. Im just sad since there is a rink 5 minutes from me which closed down last year :( So I have to drive about 30 minutes - not bad but 5 would be nicer.

Its crazy though - I thought the adult class would be me and a bunch of 13 year olds. We actually have about 12-14 people in the class and everyone except one poor 13 year old is older than me! haha

Aleeta
03-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi! I'm new also and just started about a month ago too! I'm 29 and enjoying every minute! I am also planning on starting group lessions next Tuesday, but I have been skating at the adult public sessions till then, which has been great. Having a rink 5 minutes away is fantastic too! Good luck, it will be fun to compare notes as we go along :)

Isk8NYC
03-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Welcome to skatingforums.com! Feel free to look around and check out our vast wealth of information and opinions. There's a pretty good search function that you can use if you're looking for something in particular.

twokidsskatemom
03-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Hello! I want to introduce myself before I start posting everywhere.

I'm 24, in graduate school in Washington state, and started skating about a month ago. (If you don't count a couple of times on a lake in Alaska when I was about 6 years old.) A friend of mine wanted to go skating, but bailed at the last minute, so I went without her. I fell down about 5 times in an hour (but I now know where my toe pick is, for sure!), but despite the bruises the skating bug bit me hard. :D

I'm in a group lesson now, and after reading several comments, know I am lucky that I get free ice time twice a week included in the group lesson price- and this at a rink that is about 5 minutes away from my apartment! I love skating more every time I go, which is probably a good sign. :)

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to discussing on these forums.

Welcome!!!
What rink are you using? I do know there is a good supply of ADULT skaters down in Washington.I know some of the rinks and coaches.There is also a good mix of Ice dance down there as well.
We can still skate on the lakes here but thank Goodness breakup is coming !!!!We are in alaska :}

Hannah
03-27-2006, 09:04 PM
I skate on the Sportsplex ice rink in Bellingham. I don't know of any others in my area, and it seems that that's where Bellingham skaters all congregate.

I grew up in Fairbanks, Alaska! :)

twokidsskatemom
03-28-2006, 01:10 PM
http://www.sprinker.org/pros.htm

I dont know how far this one is from you, but I know some coaches from there.They do alot of adults and ice dance.

We are in Fairbanks area too:)

doubletoe
03-28-2006, 01:49 PM
http://www.sprinker.org/pros.htm

I dont know how far this one is from you, but I know some coaches from there.They do alot of adults and ice dance.

We are in Fairbanks area too:)

That's the Sprinker rink in Tacoma (at least 2 hours drive from Bellingham, I think). It's a gorgeous facility and they have nice ice! The Pacific Coast Adult Sectionals competition was held there last year. :)

Anyway, welcome to the ice! :D

Casey
03-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Hi,

I skate around the Seattle area - Castle Ice in Renton, Highland Ice in Shoreline, and Comcast Community Ice Rink in Everett. Sometimes also OlympicView in Mountlake Terrace or (rarely) the rink in Kent. Have not been to Sprinker yet. It's a great area to skate in. :) Welcome to the wonderful world of skating - and maybe I'll chance into you one of these days.

LauraLa
03-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi, I'm a double newbie, too. I'm just learning to skate now, at the ripe old age of 41. I pond-skated a bit as a kid (in my mother's too-big and too-soft skates), and did a couple of public sessions over the years, but that's it. I've started taking adult beginner lessons and I'm really enjoying it.

I spent the last 9 years doing competitive ballroom dancing, and quit partly because of personal burn-out, and partly because my partner kept getting injured. In the three years that we were together, he was off the floor for half of it. I just got too frustrated depending on another person (who wasn't related to me) for something that was just supposed to be a fun and exciting hobby.

Anyway, I'm having a great time and am all psyched because I just passed the little pre-alpha ISI basic skills test. It's nice for me to have some kind of milestone that doesn't involve an actual competition. I've just ordered my first pair of skates, and am waiting on pins and needles for the UPS guy to deliver them.

Nice meeting everyone! See you around!